Phase Plant... Thoughts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Phase Plant

GRUMP wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:34 pm Thanks for the Info. Thumbs up for that.

Do you have multiple MB Outputs and Connectivity?
Which Options do you have for the Bands?
You have now the complete Multipass available as a snapin in PhasePlant or a Multipass inside of a Multipass band or multiple bands and there even more Multipasses... it´s alittle bit like traveling back in time and changing the timeline somehow...the more you think about it the more complicated and open ended it gets... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... WonFksCK0s
https://kilohearts.com/products/multipass

StuSmith wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:31 pm
Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 pm ...and will be polyphonic useable and able to be modulated at audio rate...
For the record, I don't think *everything* can be modulated at audio rate just yet... I think it's currently just anything in the generator section. Although there are still loads of things I'm discovering in this synth... :)
You´re right... my fault... I was thinking about the next generation ... :hyper:

recursive one wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:56 pm ...
Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 pm - build your own polyphonic filter or any other sound mangeling structures including multiband processing ... and this is absolutely unique and not offered by any other plugin...
Could you give some examples of actual musical use of that?
I think the most useful feature would be creating advanced filter structures... as many have already requested... even if it´s all there and ever was... you only have to make your hands dirty...

What about a polyphonic reverb at 50% before the sound goes into the filter...
Here you can think of having all snapins as advanced oscillator FX... everything can change the sound after the oscillator and before the filter as additional soundsources... all per voice...

Or if you have a look at a visual representation of various filter models there is not just a cutoff point affected by resonance...
Often they have got some peaks or dips here and there to make them sound more musical... then combined with some saturation or even distortion or even prefilter saturation and post filter distortion... or a phaser/flanger/disperser in between 2 filters each with it´s custom shape

With the new imlementation of snapheap and multipass you can now build on your own whatever you want to model or go even further with heavy parallel custom filter models or double tripple parallel bandpass filters with a vowel filter in parallel...
As you can use an parametric EQ (which is mid/side capable by the way which offers even more possibilities) with for that if you want combined with 1 or more traditionell filters you can go as wild as your brain can imagine... and as you´ve got three lanes where you can send different groups to... as I said... the sky is the limit...

How will it sound??? No idea... I didn´t tested the boundaries yet but I am very sure there will some combinations which will sound very nice...

Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:48 pm
Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 pm - build your own polyphonic filter or any other sound mangeling structures including multiband processing ... and this is absolutely unique and not offered by any other plugin...
I think the most useful feature would be creating advanced filter structures... as many have already requested... even if it´s all there and ever was... you only have to make your hands dirty...

Here you can think of having all snapins as advanced oscillator FX... everything can change the sound after the oscillator and before the filter as additional soundsources... all per voice...

Or if you have a look at a visual representation of various filter models there is not just a cutoff point affected by resonance...
Often they have got some peaks or dips here and there to make them sound more musical... then combined with some saturation or even distortion or even prefilter saturation and post filter distortion... or a phaser/flanger/disperser in between 2 filters each with it´s custom shape

With the new imlementation of snapheap and multipass you can now build on your own whatever you want to model or go even further with heavy parallel custom filter models or double tripple parallel bandpass filters with a vowel filter in parallel...
As you can use an parametric EQ (which is mid/side capable by the way which offers even more possibilities) with for that if you want combined with 1 or more traditionell filters you can go as wild as your brain can imagine... and as you´ve got three lanes where you can send different groups to... as I said... the sky is the limit...

How will it sound??? No idea... I didn´t tested the boundaries yet but I am very sure there will some combinations which will sound very nice...
Looks very cool ... on paper :)

Not really sure I'd ever want to go that deep into sound design. If I want certain character of filter response I'll take a synth that already has it, rather than try to emulate it myself in the way you describe. I'm sure the devs who make synths with circuit modelled filters know much more about various filter responces and topologies than I ever will.

It appears Phase Plant is just way more complicated than I'll ever need, I do prefer using my own presets most of the time but I'm not an advanced synthesist. I have a selection of specialized synths that are really good at their own ranges of sounds - because they have not only certain features but also certain sound character that fits the task.

I saw a couple of videos of PP doing a nice psytrance FM lead and some dubstep growls - the kinds of sounds I may actually use - and this all sounded nice but frankly not really much better than/ different to Serum.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:28 pm Looks very cool ... on paper :)

Not really sure I'd ever want to go that deep into sound design. If I want certain character of filter response I'll take a synth that already has it, rather than try to emulate it myself in the way you describe. I'm sure the devs who make synths with circuit modelled filters know much more about various filter responces and topologies than I ever will.

It appears Phase Plant is just way more complicated than I'll ever need, I do prefer using my own presets most of the time but I'm not an advanced synthesist. I have a selection of specialized synths that are really good at their own ranges of sounds - because they have not only certain features but also certain sound character that fits the task.

I saw a couple of videos of PP doing a nice psytrance FM lead and some dubstep growls - the kinds of sounds I may actually use - and this all sounded nice but frankly not really much better than/ different to Serum.
If there is the possibilty this doesn´t mean you have to do it...

The nice thing about PhasePlant is that everything is very easy accessable and invites you to go new routes with happy little accidents...
This imho is the biggest difference to other more "fixed" synths like Serum...

Nevertheless you are right... At the very end mosts synths offer already more sonic possibilites one can handle or need in a lifetime...

Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:48 pm

I can do all of that stuff in Bitwig's Grid and Bitwig devices... the thing is, I mostly do simpler stuff, cause simpler stuff already gives me the results I want most of the time.

Regarding the price of Phase Plant + snapins: the snapins are very good and run independently as VSTs (or inside Snap Heap and Multipass). For me, they were already worth it outside of Phase Plant -- I had most of the snapins before Phase Plant came out because they're excellent (and low on CPU usage). For example, the transient shaper is my go-to, and I use the compressor for most of my sidechaining needs. And you can create some amazing effects chains with Snap Heap and Multipass. If you think of this as a whole system of great VST effects and not just a bunch of stuff inside of Phase Plant, the price is pretty reasonable.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:17 pm I can do all of that stuff in Bitwig's Grid and Bitwig devices....
Mostly... but not using fx plugins inside of polysynth or sampler polyphon or am I wrong??
... the thing is, I mostly do simpler stuff, cause simpler stuff already gives me the results I want most of the time
But nevertheless you are using Bitwig as well for the reason because it offers all that stuff in case you would need it, don´t you??

I don't think there is much point trying to get someone into Phase Plant who's already decided it's not for them or has already pledged their allegiance to another. :)

Anyone who's interested but hasn't tried it yet should play with the free trial and check out some YouTube vids on it to get them started. It's the kinda synth that people really get hooked on if it suits their workflow, style, and tastes. I count myself among those Phase Plant addicts...

The trial can be downloaded here: https://kilohearts.com/faq

The devs are really cool and responsive to the producer community (mainly on their Discord and Twitter, hence me helping out on other channels like this). Just three lovely Swedish guys who have a vision of their perfect audio software that they've been bringing to life over the last few years. :love:

StuSmith wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:45 pm I don't think there is much point trying to get someone into Phase Plant who's already decided it's not for them or has already pledged their allegiance to another. :)

Anyone who's interested but hasn't tried it yet should play with the free trial and check out some YouTube vids on it to get them started. It's the kinda synth that people really get hooked on if it suits their workflow, style, and tastes. I count myself among those Phase Plant addicts...

The devs are really cool and responsive to the producer community (mainly on their Discord and Twitter, hence me helping out on other channels like this). Just three lovely Swedish guys who have a vision of their perfect audio software that they've been bringing to life over the last few years. :love:
Stu,

You are the "Social Media support guy for Kilohearts". You should not be antagonistic to prospective customers. You are NOT helping.

rj0 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:57 pm
StuSmith wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:45 pm I don't think there is much point trying to get someone into Phase Plant who's already decided it's not for them or has already pledged their allegiance to another. :)

Stu,

You are the "Social Media support guy for Kilohearts". You should not be antagonistic to prospective customers. You are NOT helping.
:shrug:

Sounds perfectly pleasant to me.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:12 pm
rj0 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:57 pm

Stu,

:shrug:

Sounds perfectly pleasant to me.
I've been following this thread for some time now. I have not found his responses to be at all pleasant. (I know that some of us potential customers can be a pain-in-the-ass with our questions and opinions, but sales/marketing guys need to avoid dismissive stances, and keep their responses even and helpful, else they end up creating a rather negative public-facing representation for their companies.)

Pledged their allegiance to another? Ugh...

I'd advise just sticking to talking about the synth and not about people.

Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:24 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:17 pm I can do all of that stuff in Bitwig's Grid and Bitwig devices....
Mostly... but not using fx plugins inside of polysynth or sampler polyphon or am I wrong??
... the thing is, I mostly do simpler stuff, cause simpler stuff already gives me the results I want most of the time
But nevertheless you are using Bitwig as well for the reason because it offers all that stuff in case you would need it, don´t you??
You are not wrong... but one can do it with any VST in Bitwig if one want, just not so straightforward. Some fx can be created polyphonic in the Grid, but you are building them, not ready made devices (though of course you can save your creations).

I generally prefer such capability to be in the DAW so it can be used with all of ones plugins.

I switched to Bitwig cause it fully supports MPE. Then I discovered that I liked the open ended flexibility. One of the reasons I like the Grid is not only because of the automatic MPE capability, but that it is multi-core capable and offers lots of polyphony.

Anyway, not making any negative comment about Phase Plant, just saying all the complex stuff you mention is not a selling point for me.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:01 am
Pledged their allegiance to another? Ugh...

I'd advise just sticking to talking about the synth and not about people.
Apologies for my poor choice of words. I was trying to be genty humorous, but getting the tone right on a forum can be difficult, so I won't try that again. I merely meant those who may have already invested much time, money and effort into mastering other synths are unlikely to be persuaded to drop that and pick up another. Especially if there are some similarities and nothing that might benefit them personally. And that's cool.

I certainly meant no offense but will take this as a lesson.

Return to “Instruments”