What kind of copyright is working for classic music?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Let's say I want to sample some Bach stuff. I think the music itself isn't copyrighted anymore but for sure the recording itself. So I wonder when it's appropriate to sample classic music? What kind of copyright is it and from which point on its legal?
rabbit in a hole

It's the same as with any other music or performance: The
copyright of the performance of an orchestral track, music
or song is possessed by the performer. So you're not allowed
to sample it unless the performer gives a permission.

The difference is: You can play the Bach-songs on your
own, with your own sounds. And then you can do what you
want with these songs. :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Autobot wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:39 pm I think the music itself isn't copyrighted anymore but for sure the recording itself. So I wonder when it's appropriate to sample classic music?
You basically answered that yourself. Its appropriate when you respect the copyright of the recording you wish to sample....
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

As far as I'm aware (which isn't very far) you could recreate a Bach song using a sample library/ record an orchestra yourself and that would be fair game, but you can't say rip a recording of the London Philharmonic Orchestra playing Bach off Youtube.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Search the web for creative commons or public domain classical recordings. Of course you would not get Celibidache permissions...
Sometimes its as easy as to ask the copyright holders. I did that several times and always got permission without any fees... Depends on the kind of project I guess...

^ This. Sites like openculture.com and musopen.org will have links to loads of recordings in the public domain.

Quick look at Musopen revealed: https://musopen.org/music/?composer=joh ... stian-bach

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”