What synth do you actually USE the most in your own music????

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

So nothing 99% of the material universe would be interested in , then?
Last edited by BONES on Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Very nearly 100% of the universe is empty space tbf

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

To change tack, slightly, I've been trying to replace a good Wasp bassline with something I can use in Cubase. I've tried 7 or 8 different synths, not trying to exactly replicate the Wasp sound but to find something that will do the same job in the mix. It's been an interesting exercise for me - to come up with a sound I am happy with, then seeing how it works in the mix - and I thought maybe it would be interesting for people to hear the results against the patches I've created for each synth. But I don't want to go to the effort of rendering all the bits and compiling them if no-one is interested so let me know what you reckon. I'll do it all upfront, no guessing which synth is which or anything like that. It's just an interesting study of sound design v production realities.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:54 pm So nothing 99% of the material universe would be interested in , then?
probably more like 99.9999999999999999%
Something like 0.0000000000000000000001% more than everything else on the 3rd rock from the sun.
We're fine with that.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

BONES wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:56 am To change tack, slightly, I've been trying to replace a good Wasp bassline with something I can use in Cubase. I've tried 7 or 8 different synths, not trying to exactly replicate the Wasp sound but to find something that will do the same job in the mix. It's been an interesting exercise for me - to come up with a sound I am happy with, then seeing how it works in the mix - and I thought maybe it would be interesting for people to hear the results against the patches I've created for each synth. But I don't want to go to the effort of rendering all the bits and compiling them if no-one is interested so let me know what you reckon. I'll do it all upfront, no guessing which synth is which or anything like that. It's just an interesting study of sound design v production realities.
Outside of the interesting sound design fun, could you not just sample it into something like Kontakt or Falcon?

Are you safe?

The sound design approach is way more interesting. Living sound vs. static...
I’d love to hear that. I have to do something similar with the OSC Phase Plant piece I made, I will not buy Phase Plant (ever). Its cheaper to rebuild some sounds...

I use whatever instrument that can do the job.

For instance - for our latest release http://spiritualmachinery.bandcamp.com/album/fade-away we used a variety of syntths. In Nori's (Ubukata) version there's mainly syntths from Arturia (Prophet V, CS-80, DX7).

While Lotuzia, I think, used some wavetable synth and, naturally, STIX :-)

The original track features a hardware sampler and a Juno 6.

But, to be honest, really. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. Does it ?

Reaktor, absolutely. I could get by with this and no other. It sounds wonderful and does everything and the CPU hit is quite modest for most ensembles, probably because its core was designed back when you had to be ultra efficient to do realtime synthesis on a CPU.

I also love Pigments, Zebra 2 and Synthmaster One.

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:08 pm The sound design approach is way more interesting. Living sound vs. static...
Well Falcon in particular isn't just a sampler. I reckon you could build a pretty interesting sound from a bunch of round robined Wasp samples plus all the other modulations/granular/FX etc it lets you apply.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:17 am Very nearly 100% of the universe is empty space tbf
its not empty, its full of invisible lifeforms.
many of them are only small (comparitively) aroumd the same size as our moon, but many are fecking huge and eat galaxies :o
it was actually a dying one of those that exploded and created the bubble our universe resides in.
this is how the multiverse works, these gargantuan creatures consuming the old, exploding and creating new. and because they have no anus, all the matter they ever consumed is recycled.

vurt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:55 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:17 am Very nearly 100% of the universe is empty space tbf
many of them are only small (comparitively) aroumd the same size as our moon, but many are fecking huge and eat galaxies :o
it was actually a dying one of those that exploded and created the bubble our universe resides in.
this is how the multiverse works, these gargantuan creatures consuming the old, exploding and creating new. and because they have no anus, all the matter they ever consumed is recycled.
:clap: Please write a science or astrology book :pray:

simmo75 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:06 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:55 pm
:clap: Please write a science or astrology book :pray:
:lol:

BONES wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:56 am To change tack, slightly, I've been trying to replace a good Wasp bassline with something I can use in Cubase. I've tried 7 or 8 different synths, not trying to exactly replicate the Wasp sound but to find something that will do the same job in the mix.
I'm interested in softsynth sounds that can replace a Wasp bassline.... I really like Wasp, OSCar and MS-20 type bass sounds, but most of the time I generate them via hardware and then bounce/print/record them in my DAW for my tracks. I like using my Bass Station II for that since the main filter is modeled on a Wasp filter (second/acid filter is modeled after a 303 according to Novation). Always interested in hearing bassline sounds from other producers....

vurt wrote: this is how the multiverse works, these gargantuan creatures consuming the old, exploding and creating new. and because they have no anus, all the matter they ever consumed is recycled.
You mean they don't know what analogue is? That make us unique then 8)

EnGee wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:57 pm
vurt wrote: this is how the multiverse works, these gargantuan creatures consuming the old, exploding and creating new. and because they have no anus, all the matter they ever consumed is recycled.
You mean they don't know what analogue is? That make us unique then 8)
they know all, as we are just expressions of them experiencing every aspect of the universe from within.

Return to “Instruments”