LAUNCH! VAST Dynamics - Vaporizer2 - Hybrid Wavetable Additive / Subtractive Synthesizer / Sampler / Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Energy The Transformation Vaporizer2

Getting quite interesting.

So the Morph control modifies how the wavetable positions are interpolated/cross-faded (step-wise, not other kinds of real-time processing)?

rj0 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:58 pm Getting quite interesting.

So the Morph control modifies how the wavetable positions are interpolated/cross-faded (step-wise, not other kinds of real-time processing)?
Yes, the morph parameter controls the smoothing of the wavetable position parameter. For resynthesized tables out of samples you do not want smoothing, for e.g. hardsync it might be better. And yes, the plugin does not have what other synths call real-time wavetable effects. I experimented a lot with that but believe there is no way to do it while keeping the “zero nyquist-alias” promise - even when oversampling the oscillators 8 times or so you will still have it (maybe not audible).

vastdynamics wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:12 pm
rj0 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:58 pm Getting quite interesting.

Yes, the morph parameter controls the smoothing of the wavetable position parameter. For resynthesized tables out of samples you do not want smoothing, for e.g. hardsync it might be better. And yes, the plugin does not have what other synths call real-time wavetable effects. I experimented a lot with that but believe there is no way to do it while keeping the “zero nyquist-alias” promise - even when oversampling the oscillators 8 times or so you will still have it (maybe not audible).
One of the great attractions of many wavetable synths is the real-time effects capability.
To omit them for a non audible benefit seems very strange to me.

Maybe. The plugin is not designed for that so it is unlikely that I will add it later. On the other hand, I am still looking for a good example of such a „real-time“ effect that can not be realized with „static“ wavetable functions. I think I used most of the synths and have not found something so far. I agree that it is a different workflow and might be more intuitive. But technically you can achieve the same. And as said, most wavetable synths create aliasing sounds with that - and some artifacts ARE audible and its my ambition for musical instruments to avoid that.

Nobody cares whether a synth technically aliases or not, as long as they get great sound. Look at Massive x. There has been a great deal of debate as to whether it aliases or not, but in the end, for all its other shortcomings people really like the sound. And the various modes DO increase its versatility enormously. Also when you start introducing noise, distortion, bit reduction, etc- all of which are integral parts of much sound design these days, zero aliasing becomes even less relevant.

Perhaps a mode or setting, to retain or not, zero aliasing mode (with associated limitations, user option)?

vastdynamics wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:50 pm Maybe. The plugin is not designed for that so it is unlikely that I will add it later. On the other hand, I am still looking for a good example of such a „real-time“ effect that can not be realized with „static“ wavetable functions. I think I used most of the synths and have not found something so far. I agree that it is a different workflow and might be more intuitive. But technically you can achieve the same. And as said, most wavetable synths create aliasing sounds with that - and some artifacts ARE audible and its my ambition for musical instruments to avoid that.
i am on the fence on this one. the difference i get, but a real-time effect, you can modulate, you how that be realized within a "static" wavetable?

i get the design decision, and i have no problem with another approach, every other approach seems to me only a good thing, but in this case i wonder. the filters use oversampling. for instance.

but forget the technique behind it, how i can achieve a modulated effect in a "static" wavetable? perhaps i didn't found it yet.

alias free as the holy grail, yes i get it. and i try to avoid also, but if it present it isn't audible, or it works... i make strange sounds... i do not anaylyse every sound, if there is aliasing. there could be, when making samples, resampling them with different effects (time stretch! does wonders! make a synth out of a guitar..), resampling it within a DAW. or use the sampler that eventually plays the sample(s) for more sounddesign, different, many time simple ways, that sound a lot or how the sound works while playing the sound.

this off topic or not? because i would like to buy vaporizer2, yes! yes! to work with my own samples. i wavetable synths, but i do not make my own wavetables yet...

as a wavetable editor it is great, by the way. and it creates already sounds i like.

you must see every instrument as is. pigments ain't serum (i demoed serum for the first time, to see what all the fuzz is about, and yes it is a beast, but don't need it. has great possibilities, but MSoundFactory is closing in...), and i like what pigments does, it works well for my music.

perhaps i am too picky, if it has the serum options (yes there are tempting, but i have other solutions), i will demo it further, as is.

but modulating parameters, how can that be achieved? in not-real-time.

EDIT: i am not new to making music, but i am still learning, and every step you make, you realize that you didn't understand some things, that you now understand. and new questions arise.
a learned a lot from soft modulars. and other synths, i feel like now i am getting additive, spectral. substractive is easy (as technique, but recquires also experience, to get what you want, in the end perhaps at the same level..). and i thought i knew it, already. no, still learning. that's the way it is way when you dive in deeper and deeper.

there is a new update, 2.6.2..

i bought the vaporizer2, after many discussions with myself, no regrets. thought about serum, but i have MSoundFactory, that is enough, and synthmaster 3 is coming (for years i think...). it gets me deeper in making wavetables, is a craft on itself. if i don't get beatiful wavetables, i have learned a lot..

https://www.vast-dynamics.com/?q=products

EDIT: importing wavetables frome waveedit, does not work that well, of course.. but i understand that making great wavetables, recquires not one program, but more. the sculpt, to make a wavetable, that sounds good when morphing or scanning through it.
and now i have enough wavetable "generators" and manglers.. for now..

EDIT 2: release notes:

New version available for free download: 2.6.2 - change log:
► Added two new random drift automation sources
► Larger performance improvements in wavetable engine
► Corrected bitcrush FX and sampler cents / root key automation issues
► Reworked factory presets and additional factory presets now including 365 quality presets
► Added additional wavetables and single cycles now including 780 wavetables.

This is one fine synth :tu:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Thank you guys. :love: :party: :phones: :hyper:

Hi there,

I have a Question:

in the Sample Editor for WT Creation you can see the Number of Zero Crossings and set the Number for the Wavetable. Great Function indeed - but the resulting Tables don´t correspond the Number of Zero Crossings I have set before. If I say 100 for Example I get a WT with maybe 86 Positions and that gets out of Phase (and 0 Crossings) at the End.?

Addition: "Interpolation" for WT-Positions Selection fixes Problems others leave unsolved and delivers good Results. Very pleased :)

New version available for free download: 2.6.3 - change log:
► Significantly improved MSEG envelopes
– Can now be synchronized with DAW timecode – also for loops
– Option to run MSEG in single mode (not per voice but one global instance)
– Improved MSEG display.
► Reworked factory presets and additional factory presets now including 370 quality presets
► UI improvements (slider value popup)
Find it here: https://www.vast-dynamics.com/?q=products
https://www.facebook.com/vastdynamics/

vastdynamics wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:51 pm Image
New version available for free download: 2.6.3 - change log:
► Significantly improved MSEG envelopes
– Can now be synchronized with DAW timecode – also for loops
– Option to run MSEG in single mode (not per voice but one global instance)
– Improved MSEG display.
► Reworked factory presets and additional factory presets now including 370 quality presets
► UI improvements (slider value popup)
Find it here: https://www.vast-dynamics.com/?q=products
https://www.facebook.com/vastdynamics/
so the MSEG can be used as multi-breakpoint envelopes.. and synced, because it defeats most of the time purpose, for me, of an MSEG, great. and of course a free running loop is nice..
downloading now...

o yes: the standalone version has no icon... not a great problem of course, but...
and avast always wants to scan the installer, and the first time you run the standalone.. but me thinks that is an avast problem.

Ah icon - OK will look at it.
A bit off-topic, but isn't Avast the anti virus software that sells you privacy to companies?
https://bgr.com/2020/01/28/avast-sellin ... y-scandal/
I would rather uninstall that.

Avast is the worst unlike Vast Dynamics which is the best. ;)

Return to “Instruments”