Cytomic "The Scream" stomp box distortion plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Scream

I went ahead and completed my cytomic collection, this feels like the closest thing to hardware in the box for me, very creamy! I've just briefly toyed around with tuning in something more subdued for running synths through and found tons of tonal variation, slow filtersweeps sound really good through this.

Questions:
Any good tips n tricks for dialing in very subtle distortion (more like "saturation")? The things I've tried is different combos of voltage and bias + the mix knob.

Is there a way to inversely map the pre-post level (I guess similar to what the Drop does with the "Pad" feature) so that I can just tweak one of them and it will compensate the other? That could be nice addon otherwise, maybe just right click the pre/post button and it snaps to auto compensate mode or similar. I can do that with two inversely mapped blue cat gain plugins one before and one after, just wondering if that will somehow degrade the quality compared to doing it within The Scream?

Any plans to do transformer based distortion anytime soon? :)

For a more subtle effect, try lowering the HPF frequency by changing the relevant capacitor value and increasing headroom by changing the diodes to LEDs (or reduce diode counts to zero to remove diode clipping).

Once the Scream is released I'd like to see you do an opAmp Big Muff! Very different from the transistor Big Muffs.

looking at a picture of 'the scream' i'm left in a shaken, bewildered state. this plugin begs us to ask the question: what would happen today, if someone were to start an anti-skeumorphism plugin interface thread? because someone who starts such a thread, intends for something to happen, actually. it needs to stop, maybe i can. you see how those cables are plugged into the side? you can't touch something on a computer screen...

Im pretty sure nothing special would happen. Theres great plugins of both types out there, on one end things like fabfilter thats more on the abstract vs many soft synths that try to look mostly like hardware, both approaches work great when done well.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:08 pm Once the Scream is released I'd like to see you do an opAmp Big Muff! Very different from the transistor Big Muffs.
You can actually get somewhat in the ballpark with this circuit (use strings of three diodes etc), i did an op amp big muff style preset a few pages back.

http://thebin.free.fr/KVR/FF-TheScream-Presets.zip

farfadetfarfelu wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:00 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:08 pm Once the Scream is released I'd like to see you do an opAmp Big Muff! Very different from the transistor Big Muffs.
You can actually get somewhat in the ballpark with this circuit (use strings of three diodes etc), i did an op amp big muff style preset a few pages back.

http://thebin.free.fr/KVR/FF-TheScream-Presets.zip
Thanks, I'll give it a try!

When is the final release?

acousticglue wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:49 am When is the final release?
andy-cytomic wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:58 am I'm hoping for a release in early December.
I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Will it ever happen?

Is Andy still around?

acousticglue wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:50 am Is Andy still around?
Yeah, he posted on gearslutz a week ago: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... tcount=282
A bit fried in the higher freqs

Still working on things, but rest assured the technically hard stuff is all done :)

I've been busy getting a new development machine up and running on both windows and mac, had to fix a few little bugs The Drop and The Glue, as well as updating the installers to support the latest security measures on mac and win - which will be finished by the end of next week, then back to full time finishing off The Scream.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Is that a time machine your building? I know you stated not much will change nor should it have to.

andy-cytomic wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:18 am
Still working on things, but rest assured the technically hard stuff is all done :)

I've been busy getting a new development machine up and running on both windows and mac, had to fix a few little bugs The Drop and The Glue, as well as updating the installers to support the latest security measures on mac and win - which will be finished by the end of next week, then back to full time finishing off The Scream.
Keep on rocking Andy. I've been using the current version of The Scream very happily, and anything else will be a bonus.

Return to “Effects”