Xhun Audio LittleOne : version 4.x Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
LittleOne

forget about mac, it's not a serious platform. you could then devote some time to removing the not-purchased soundbanks from showing up in the preset library. I feel passionate about that.

btw is your company name pronounced zun or ex-hun or something else?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

As the years go by, Apple becomes more and more isolated from the outside world, a kind of micro-planet closed in on itself that moves further and further away from the real open world every year and has little contact with it other than through remote communications, either by telephone or the Internet. And not only is this closed and isolationist micro-world moving further and further away from the real wide open world, but it is also governed by a regime that every year is becoming more and more like a dictatorial regime where in order to contribute to the community one must use exclusively tools accredited by the governance, adapt through tedious updates to the perpetual evolutionary changes of the system that break the compatibility with the existing one, and to top it all off, the slightest contribution, even free, can only be made through the one and only distribution platform and imperatively through the compulsory obtaining of an authorization from the governance. On this Apple micro-planet, no freedom is allowed, any contribution to the community must be made with the explicit authorization of Apple, through Apple's channels ... and the sustainability of applications (and hardware!) is subject to the sole goodwill of Apple! This guarantees high-performance applications, certainly, but to be chosen among a very limited number and under a drastic and above all authoritarian surveillance of Apple's governance.

In short, Apple is a golden prison. You can own a computer, of course... but freedom is so limited that it is forbidden to leave Apple's catalogue.

Faced with the nightmare induced by all this Apple policy, many developers of development environments give up creating Apple editions (typical example: FlowStone) which motivates the perpetual complaints of users who urge developers of applications for Windows to also produce a version for Apple.... to the point of sometimes looking like harassment when the developer can't do it at all (see the well-known cases like Adam Szabo and others, for example, who can't no longer stand these perpetual complaints from Apple users while it's easy to understand that FlowStone is not designed to compile on MacOS).

The Apple micro-planet is a kind of satellite of planet Earth... but a satellite that is getting further and further away from planet Earth every year.

In the market of operating systems for desktop and laptop computers, it is not surprising that Windows occupies more than 85% of the machines in the world. This is not because of Microsoft's hegemonic policy... but because the operating system is open and leaves total freedom to developers and users and with the guarantee of near-perfect stability and compatibility from year to year, in short what we call sustainability. Conversely, Apple with its closed and increasingly isolationist system has only 10% of the market, and this figure will probably never increase (we can even predict that it will decrease again). We can retort that Linux only occupies 2% of the market... but at least Linux is an open system that offers complete freedom to developers and users in the same way as Windows, does not subject its users to any technical or financial constraints, dialogues without any problem with the outside world and even offers itself, thanks to its great flexibility, the luxury of serving as a bridge between Apple's ultra-closed (one could almost say sectarian as it is so closed in on itself) and unstable micro-world and Microsoft's open and particularly stable world. The handicap of Linux is its past, a past that is still very present in the collective memory, a past of an obscure operating system that is difficult to implement without computer knowledge.

Choosing Apple today is choosing to lock oneself into an isolated, isolationist and restricted micro-world in terms of choice of applications (and which will be even more so with Catalina) but it is also choosing to lock oneself into a micro-world where Apple's governance reigns as a dictatorship, leaving no freedom to developers (their only choice is either to adapt to the perpetual authoritarian and incompatible changes with the past or to leave the catalog or not to enter it at all) and where users have to constantly juggle with programmed obsolescence. In short, Apple is a golden prison but an actual prison, and on a satellite that is moving further and further away from planet Earth. And rather than criticize them I feel sorry for the prisoners of this isolated, authoritarian and dictatorial system, especially those who have not yet understood that they are in fact prisoners of this isolated, authoritarian and dictatorial system.

https://netmarketshare.com/operating-sy ... share.aspx
Last edited by BlackWinny on Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Aloysius wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:41 pm forget about mac, it's not a serious platform. you could then devote some time to removing the not-purchased soundbanks from showing up in the preset library. I feel passionate about that.

btw is your company name pronounced zun or ex-hun or something else?
When I discovered it the first time, years ago, I even thought it was a Chinese company.
:D
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Is it a weird spelling of 'tune' ?

Aloysius wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:41 pm btw is your company name pronounced zun or ex-hun or something else?
The pronunciation is "ksun" :)

Like the english word "Sun" but with also a "K" at the beginning of it...
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

Aloysius wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:41 pm forget about mac, it's not a serious platform.
Don't be silly, Aloysius. Vast amounts of the music people consume everyday around the world was produced on Macs using Pro Tools, Live, Reaper, or Logic. That being said, I don't think Apple are helping themselves at the moment. I expect BlackWinny's version of Apple is an exaggeration, but the question is left hanging: How much of an exaggeration?

xhunaudio wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:51 pm
Aloysius wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:41 pm btw is your company name pronounced zun or ex-hun or something else?
The pronunciation is "ksun" :)

Like the english word "Sun" but with also a "K" at the beginning of it...
:tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

That is ksool! Now we ksnow! :)

Seriously, I love my iPhone and iPad, but live in Windows world. I jumped from MAC in the late 90's and never looked back.

I jumped from buggy Windows into the MAC world (coming over the years: iPod, iPhone, iPad, iBook, iMac, HomePod, EarPod) in the middle of the 2000s and never looked back...
Last edited by martinjuenke on Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I forgot Apple music (currently playing via HomePods: Redshift Ether)

Save your money for your next Apple iCar (soon) ! :)

I agree about buggy Windows. I guess I would rather have a program that works with bugs than nothing at all. And that is how Apple treats their customers. Cash grab and run.

Just a consideration, a side note about OSes :

Today (from at least 20 years), talking about a *modern* OS "stability" or "reliability" is, scientifically speaking, a false discussion. Any OS has to be "rated" for its kernel (stability stuff) and for its embedded "addons/apps" (like its own multimedia capabilities, etc.).

During the passed decades, I made use of any kind of operating system : Windows, macOS/OSX, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, QNX, etc : all 3 most popular OSes (Windows, macOS/OSX, Linux) are all modern OSes (all built using abstraction layers in their code, using the memory in a certain manner, etc.). All of them feature an *extremely* solid kernel. Windows kernel is (at least) one of the most solid kernel I ever saw. In the passed 20 years I had more OSX and Linux (real) crashes/reboots than Windows !

##
NOTE about Windows : there have been 2 different OSes in history (both called Windows) which have *nothing to do* with each other. Windows 1.x, 2.x, 3.x ,4.x and Windows NT. They are 2 completely parallel, independent projects. The first (Windows 1.x, 2.x, 3.x ,4.x) is what ruined the reputation of Windows in the centuries to come (maybe forever) - Windows 4.x was Windows 95(A-B-C), 98, 98B, ME. It was not solid at all and had several bugs and crashes (BSOD was its "sign"). At the same time (mid 90s), Microsoft made (from the ground up) the t-o-t-a-l-l-y independent "Windows NT" kernel for other uses (workstations and HPC), a very, very solid kernel on par with UNIX ones. Then the buggy Windows (95,98) has been 100% adbandoned and "Windows NT 5.0" (Windows 2000) rised as the only Windows available. Windows 2000 has been improved a lot, and we had Windows XP. With Windows NT kernels, Windows has always been an extremely solid OS.
##

Backing to the Win/Mac/Linux OSes, there're also the (included by default) "extended features" : Windows and macOS are on par, Linux misses something (because it has a different kind of target).

Then there's the whole set of "nonsense features" which ruined it all. Linux has not (fortunately for Linux). On both Windows and macOS/OSX this is due to the fact today (for about the last 5-7 years) both Microsoft and Apple didn't want to release operating systems. They wanted to release "User Experiences" (... :shrug: ). And here come the troubles (again : because there's no LOVE for computing among the 2 companies "vertices" - the people we see on stage every year are salesmen, not computer scientists). Today both Windows and macOS are known to have some bugs (not due to the OS kernel itself) because both their manufacturer decided to release a marvellous "NEW USER EXPERIENCE" every 12 months, introducing a set of 1000s new colorful icons and apps - while at the same time they didn't spend much time testing their own stuff.

Both companies have a good OS kernel. If they want, they can just make an OS which works fine under any circumstance, without useless "user experience" addendum stuff. It would be great, but at that point from their perspective after 1 year, they would have nothing to announce.

In theory (I didn't verified) there seems to be a way to run legacy plugins on Catalina too.

This interesting online article worth a read :

https://rogueamoeba.com/support/knowled ... udio-Units

Anyone did it ? Any feedback would be precious.

Ooops,

it seems there's a bug with the LOAD and SAVE buttons (2x GUI only). It will be fixed in the next updates.

My apologies for the inconvenience !

Return to “Instruments”