Hydrasynth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:01 pm The low end sounds pretty good... the highs sound a bit brittle or thin...
I must admit that i like that. Doesn't sound as super shrill/clean/whatever as some of the "top" soft synths. If it was for me, some devs could definitely roll off some of that top end.

Although Hydrasynth is definitely not as "muffled" as some older synths.

Actually... could it be that this synth aliases a bit? :) Definitely sounds a bit "dirty" in the high frequencies (which isn't bad at all).

Good build quality, original design - so much for the stereotypes about Chinese products :)

It's good to see a new company in this industry...

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:19 pm I fear again, though it has per voice lfos, no MPE. At least its never mentioned...
LFOs can be set to be per voice or global, per individual LFO. MPE is acknowledged as a feature request.

Does this sound awesome in the demo's or is it just a good audio interface? :). I wonder if it would complement a Virus Ti2?

Bumping this for 2020, only a week away from release now (according to Andertons), I have my eye on getting the desktop is there anything else in the £800 range that would compete with it ?

Digivolt wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:21 pm Bumping this for 2020, only a week away from release now (according to Andertons), I have my eye on getting the desktop is there anything else in the £800 range that would compete with it ?
Maybe a used Peak or the new Argon 8 from Modal. You might find a Prophet 12 module in that range. None of thous has the polyphonic aftertouch pads, so if that’s important to you, the Hydrasynth is really the best way to get that.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I spent some time with the Hydrasynth at Perfect Circuit a week or so ago... I was very impressed with the build quality and the sound. The interface struck me as very immediate and things like routing modulation (which can be a little fiddly on synths which don't have a knob for every function) are easily done with button combinations that are easy to remember. The abundance of displays makes the limited number of controls less of an issue than I though it would be. It's always very clear what you are controlling.

I'm not sure I will end up with one of these (I have a Waldorf Quantum) but I would definitely recommend it.

Digivolt wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:21 pm Bumping this for 2020, only a week away from release now (according to Andertons), I have my eye on getting the desktop is there anything else in the £800 range that would compete with it ?
I have one of these and it's awesome. I have the desktop version. Wasn't sure about the touch pads but needed to save the money due to significant price difference. The programmability of the pads is amazing with respect to scales/key signatures, aftertouch etc... They must have put a tremendous amount of work into that aspect alone. It's like having a completely different type of controller that you learn how to use in different ways every time you use it. Build quality is excellent. Paired up with my Akai MPK88(supports aftertouch) it's the best hardware investment I've made.
Chicks, Synthesizers, Guitars, Cars !!! :evil:

The Korg Wavestate looks interesting...

Hydrasynth v1.30 get full MPE compliance... 😃 (altough I have to wait 2 more months till mine arrives 🧐)

It's going to be a few months until I've saved up the money so I guess I have time to look around at your suggestions, maybe find a store close by that has some in stock on display so I can demo them too, Desktop version of Hydrasynth is still looking most likely though @Zappacat66 will be interested to know if you still feel the same about the synth after a few months more use

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:42 pm
Maybe a used Peak or the new Argon 8 from Modal. You might find a Prophet 12 module in that range. None of thous has the polyphonic aftertouch pads, so if that’s important to you, the Hydrasynth is really the best way to get that.
Hydrasynth will be twice the price of Argon-8 here in Australia. You could buy an Argon-8 plus a Wavestate and have money left over. Even the desktop Hydrasynth is Au$300 more than the Argon-8.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Poor Aussies always getting price gouged :(

Not usually. It is cheaper to buy locally, most of the time, than to purchase from somewhere like Thomann or BH Photo & Video. Thomann, for example, have a minimum of $80 shipping to Australia and for a lot of products you lose out on warranty protection, which is much higher here than most other countries. If you buy from the States you usually have to buy a 240V compatible PSU, too.

The market here is quite competitive, which keeps prices reasonable. Wavestate is actually much cheaper here than on Thomann.de or BH Photo and Video - Au$999 v Au$1179+shipping+taxes, although BH won't ship it to Australia.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

We have one at the office now, so I have had more time to play with it. I also had a conversation with my old friend Randy Lee, who wrote the manual (which I still haven't read :oops:), while I was at NAMM last week.
Holy cow... this thing is a lot more intense than I thought. The Mutant wave shaping and FM sound incredible. I understand that the pulse shaping is a form of FM which is only applied to certain parts of the wave? Also the filter model based on the Threeler filter may be my new favorite digital filter model. I was really surprised at how easy it was to create wave sets for morphing and unlike some other synths I have used, creating custom wavetables, is actually useful and sounds great.

I have it hooked up to a really nice set of monitors and I find the sound to be very dense in the low-end and detailed in the high end. Tough to say how it would sit in a mix or if it would lose some character when EQed.

I also can't say enough good things about the build quality. Glen Darcy and Medeli created a hell of a product here and I hope they will have great success with it.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”