Modal Announces $699 Argon8 Polyphonic Synthesizer (Baby Modal 002?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Digivolt wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 amHaving desktop version is important if you like saving space/have limited space
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was referring to one sounding "more analog" than the other.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:13 am
Digivolt wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 amHaving desktop version is important if you like saving space/have limited space
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was referring to one sounding "more analog" than the other.
Ah no problem, I guess it's not that important when it comes to buying a digital wavetable hardware synth but it's certainly a bonus when it has analog character in its sound :tu:

I don't even know what that means.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I have put my money down on the Hydrasynth... I do like the poly AT and ribbon. This surfaced shortly after. I am going more for an intutitive workflow and expressiveness. So I didn't cancel my order but this (Argon8 ) does sound really good to my ears.

BONES wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:48 pm I don't even know what that means.
Hydrasynth sounds like software, warm mode helps but it still sounds like a VI, I mean it's a good VI but it still sounds too digital
Argon8 sounds like actual hardware, has more depth to its sound

But there is no difference at all between hardware and software. After all, a digital hardware synth is just a different form factor, inside it all runs on software.

BONES wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:28 am But there is no difference at all between hardware and software.
Apart from Sonic characteristics

No, not even that. A digital synth is a digital synth, whether it runs inside a computer or on it's own, dedicated hardware. It's still the same zeroes and ones. The only possible deviation would be in the DACs used, which would vary as widely between different computer set-ups as it would between computers and hardware synths.

Digivolt wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:22 pm sub £500 for desktop version makes this thing very appealing £300 cheaper than Hydrasynth and although not as vast in feature set it sounds more analog than Hydrasynth
Synthesis may have started with analog but it doesn't have to end there. I have lots of analog in here, For this purchase I was after something that analog doesn't provide via a wavemorphing style synth engine. I wanted a digital synth with an intuitive hands-on refined user interface, easily routed mod matrix and expressive keys (Poly AT at that) ... Hydrasynth has that covered. So far it feels like an instrument and not just a boxed virtual instrument which would be a fair expectation if you didn't account for the generous knobbage and keybed. It does feel well thought-out and unified.

I'll reserve judgement for a few weeks to see how I feel about it with more exposure. Out of the box? So far so good.

The "this doesn't sound analog" mantra is beyond tired. If you want analog buy it.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”