Where is a synthesizer that can "listen" to another synth and then recreate that sound?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would like to see something like this made, like the Kemper Profiling engine but for synthesizers. I'm sure with neural networks that something could be made to "listen" to a vintage synth, and then attempt to recreate the sound using it's own engine.

This would be a game changer even if the resulting sound came 90% close.

Thoughts?
:borg:

your brain can do that now. :D plus, why does it have to be exact? what if you got an emulation that served you better? or wound up being so different but just as amazing?

but otherwise.. yeah, would (at least) be interesting.

Well, resynthesis is the closest you'll ever find... Am I missing something or would that quite fit the bill ?
You drop a note of the synth sound you want to "clone", and the other synth recreates it using its engine...
Tone 2 Icarus can do this, Image Line Harmor can do this, Native Instruments Form also, Steinberg Halion 6...
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

if it were possible, someone would have already done it.

This thing maybe? It’s a recently released Eurorack module by the dude who came up with the Emulator synths.
http://www.rossum-electro.com/products/panharmonium/
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Interesting ideas so far, but maybe what I'm thinking of is still in the realm of science fiction.
:borg:

werp wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:37 am This thing maybe? It’s a recently released Eurorack module by the dude who came up with the Emulator synths.
I have one. Yes, it is basically a real-time additive resynthesizer, but the reconstructed signal isn’t very close to the original. For non-realtime, several plugins have already been mentioned. I particularly like Arturia’s Synclavier V.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

V0RT3X wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:02 am Interesting ideas so far, but maybe what I'm thinking of is still in the realm of science fiction.
Aside from additive resynthesis and granular methods, machine learning is the next step towards what you’re imagining. Google’s Project Magenta has been doing some interesting things, and I’m sure we’ll see a lot more of this in the coming years.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

"Clone" by Behringer...

They make a lot of them :)
No auto tune...

deastman wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:13 am
werp wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:37 am This thing maybe? It’s a recently released Eurorack module by the dude who came up with the Emulator synths.
I have one. Yes, it is basically a real-time additive resynthesizer, but the reconstructed signal isn’t very close to the original. For non-realtime, several plugins have already been mentioned. I particularly like Arturia’s Synclavier V.
Ok I read the first sentence of Rossum Electros’ description. It does imply that the module can recreate a sound fed to it. I probably should have read the 2nd sentence as well. I’ve just installed an ER-301 in my system. I haven’t a clue what it does yet...
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Spectral synthesis with wavetable-like parametrisation seems to be very effective; synths like Thorn and Europa.

For some oscillator tweaks and filter sweeps I have been able to record a sweep into Europa (in Reason) and immediately play back a convincing recreation over the whole key range, by using a linear envelope to scan the table. Other cases fail, as it is more difficult to correctly tabulate sounds with variable subs content or any detuning.

Capturing the entire parameter space of a synth is asking for a lot more, but there seems to be a lot of interest in "macro oscillators" that provide a few modulatable controls which span a useful space per switchable mode: e.g. braids/plaits, Noise Engineering etc. in hardware, and TRK-01, Razor, Factory in software.

Yeah.. It's called "sampler" :hihi:

Maybe printing sound as a picture and drop it to harmor?
MPowersynth also has some recreation thing by dropping audio to its osc etc.

psynical wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:02 am if it were possible, someone would have already done it.
what?
that kind of thinking wed still be scratching our arses in trees.

Kyma.....

Return to “Instruments”