Studio One 4.6 problems

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't know if the following issues I am experiencing are specific to Studio One 4.6, but that is the version I am running now. The issues I am experiencing could be due to some obscure DAW settings that have deviated from what I am used to.

[1] I created a folder track containing a bunch of instrument tracks. The folder track has a bus channel to which all of the contained tracks are routed to. When I solo or mute the folder track, nothing happens. To solo or mute all of the contained tracks, I have to solo or mute the bus channel instead. I am almost certain that I was previously able to solo or mute the folder track and get the desired effect.

[2] I imported some MIDI files into a new song project. There are no audio tracks in this project. The song project was created with the default tempo of 120. If I change the tempo now, the timing of the MIDI events is changing such that the events no longer line up on the bars any longer. How do I change the song's playback tempo without the timing of all of the MIDI events being changed?
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

These two are somewhat contradictory IMO?
"If I change the tempo now, the timing of the MIDI events is changing such that the events no longer line up on the bars any longer."
This suggests that timebase is seconds and does not follow tempo.

" How do I change the song's playback tempo without the timing of all of the MIDI events being changed?"
This suggest that you should have timebase seconds - since they play back same tempo disregarding tempo in song.

Anyway the solution is to set timebase to beat or seconds as desired.
If seconds it does not follow tempo - if Beat what was on grid before remain on grid when tempo change.

tonedef71 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:04 am ...
[1] I created a folder track containing a bunch of instrument tracks. The folder track has a bus channel to which all of the contained tracks are routed to. When I solo or mute the folder track, nothing happens. To solo or mute all of the contained tracks, I have to solo or mute the bus channel instead. I am almost certain that I was previously able to solo or mute the folder track and get the desired effect.
Are you sure you connected the bus to the folder like this:
Bus.jpg
Works here without any problems...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lfm wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:49 am These two are somewhat contradictory IMO?
"If I change the tempo now, the timing of the MIDI events is changing such that the events no longer line up on the bars any longer."
This suggests that timebase is seconds and does not follow tempo.

" How do I change the song's playback tempo without the timing of all of the MIDI events being changed?"
This suggest that you should have timebase seconds - since they play back same tempo disregarding tempo in song.

Anyway the solution is to set timebase to beat or seconds as desired.
If seconds it does not follow tempo - if Beat what was on grid before remain on grid when tempo change.
Thank you for responding with some assistance.

The song project was derived from a Studio One template that was shared online by another Studio One user; while that template has a lot of useful settings in place, it also has some settings I would never have made; I still need to customize that template to make it my own. The timebase was indeed set to something I have never used before. I was wondering why when I zoomed through the song, the "bars" had markers that read ".5" instead of the usual ".2", ".3", and ".4" beat markers I was accustomed to seeing.

Thank you, I think I have this problem squared away now.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Trancit wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:46 am
tonedef71 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:04 am ...
Are you sure you connected the bus to the folder like this:

Bus.jpg

Works here without any problems...
Thank you for responding.

I see now that the issue seems to only be happening for my drums folder track. The virtual instrument for the drums is set to multi-out (eight audio outputs), and I am wondering if Studio One cannot properly manage the multiple outputs correctly. In the screenshot you can see that I have the drum folder track muted, yet the audio still plays. Notice also (outlined by a red box) that the buttons for stereo/mono and record are disabled for all but the last of the eight mixer channels ("Overheads").

That's because the instrument is playing by itself directly to the mixer, there are no midi clips on those muted tracks. Muting the arrange tracks won't mute internally generated playback from the instrument and those instrument tracks are not the same thing as those mixer channels as relates to muting.

Mute the bus in the mixer.

LawrenceF wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:27 pm That's because the instrument is playing by itself directly to the mixer, there are no midi clips on those muted tracks. Muting the arrange tracks won't mute internally generated playback from the instrument and those instrument tracks are not the same thing as those mixer channels as relates to muting.

Mute the bus in the mixer.
Thank you for that explanation; that makes sense why the audio output might be unaffected by solo/mute.

Now why does clicking the folder icon in the mixer bus channel only hide the "Overheads" channel? Again, it seems like only one mixer channel of the eight output channels is being associated with audio output.
EDIT: After I deleted all of the instrument tracks in the folder track, none of the mixer channel tracks are hidden when the folder icon is clicked in the mixer bus channel. It looks like I cannot group mixer channels beneath a bus channel that is assigned to a folder track.

I still think it would be awfully convenient (and be much more intuitive) if muting/soloing the folder track muted/soloed the bus channel that was assigned to the folder track.
EDIT: This worked again after I deleted all of the instrument tracks.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”