UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

functionform wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:49 pm
Saukar30 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:18 pm Ortisan, please change the color of the slice markers. These are very hard to see.
+1 and include 0 crossing line as well in color changes :)
+1 - may as well make it a worthwhile 2.0.5 :)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Sometimes I open Falcon and choose one of dozens of programs I made just to see what kind of insanity will happen. Other times I know that a patch I made will "cut" or "add spice" or be an "unlike anything" sound. I mean all I have to do is make a custom sample or wavetable or impulse and Boom.

Other times I design sounds only , no composition or improvisation , just delve and dive and have an idea to try.

Rarely do I choose a preset, and even tho I buy expansions I havn't listened to them all by a long shot.

I bet the people who own Falcon 2 own other synthesizers, I do. Rarely do I not load Falcon.

I spend most of my energy on the modulators, giving movement and structure to the oscillators. them move to filters or reverb or delay. My god the areas I still get to explore with all the additions since version 1 !

I feel greatful to be alive and inspired by this incredible technology. Thank you.

To the people at UVI, please forgive all the requests for additional features. You have made a product that makes us feel we can do anything.

To the people who request new features, keep asking.
Falcon user since 2015

No 2.0.5 yet. Should I uninstall and re-install? Not sure if that will lose all my settings.

Not released yet. Will let you know when available.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

I’m really loving Falcon - just got it yesterday. However I’m hearing pops/crackles both on standalone and in Studio One. Mainly:

1. Starting more than one loop playback with IRCAM stretch - pop/crackle when the second loop starts

2. Changing parameters in the Sparkverb - especially room size, while any note from any osc is playing.

3. Randomly during playback of presets - not always but occasionally will start to crackle

I’ve checked buffer sizes and it occurs even with the largest buffers (4096 in studio one). CPU looks okay - ~5% during the reverb changes and ~20-25% with IRCAM.

This is on a new MacBook Pro 16 with an i9. I am running at 48khz.

Any advice?

IRCAM Stretch hast always been a CPU hog and always will be. Raise your buffer to the max if you plan to use it in real time and don't attempt to play more than 3 or 4 notes simultaneously.

Even not using IRCAM stretch, I'm seeing pretty bad pops/crackles - interesting enough I tried on another machine (non-Catalina and MacBook 15 rather than 16) and it seems much better, even at low buffer sizes.

Seems to be related to Catalina/MBP 16.

Looks like this is definitely a Mac/Catalina issue. Killing coreaudiod causes the crackles to go away.

Will I lose my presets if I uninstall and reinstall a stable version? I can't play 2.0.4 in Reaper win 10 :(

eclipxe wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:12 am Looks like this is definitely a Mac/Catalina issue. Killing coreaudiod causes the crackles to go away.
Are you listening through the laptop speakers, or using headphones/an interface? If it’s crackling during playback through the laptop speakers only, it’s very likely a problem (a somewhat widespread one) with the new 16” MBPs and/or Catalina.

A feature I would love to be added to Falcon is being able to randomize values of a module (multi granular etc). I use randomization a lot in other instruments and find it a very useful tool in coming up with new sounds.

2.0.5 is online. No more crashes and should be fully Catalina compatible.
Will check the UI tweak after

Cheers
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

eclipxe wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:04 pm Even not using IRCAM stretch, I'm seeing pretty bad pops/crackles - interesting enough I tried on another machine (non-Catalina and MacBook 15 rather than 16) and it seems much better, even at low buffer sizes.

Seems to be related to Catalina/MBP 16.
Might be that OpenGL runs in CPU only mode in Catalina or so, or Falcon only can use software renderer for the GUI. What happens if you close the GUI, will the performance improve in Catalina? I guess we will have to wait until JUCE gets Metal2 support...

The sample instruments integrate well with Falcon, love it!

Some fresh Falcon sounds are available here: Falcon Singles - Ambient Piano

Return to “Instruments”