Will an eGPU improve the performance of your music production?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I take it the "e" in "eGPU" refers to "external"?
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:44 pm I take it the "e" in "eGPU" refers to "external"?
Yeah that's right. It's essentially the same as a dedicated GPU. For people who have desktops on windows, it's similar to just installing a graphics card in the pci-e slot. For us mac people who have mac minis (or an older macbook without a dedicated gpu), we have to use an eGPU via thunderbolt.

jbehrmusic wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:38 pmTo address your internal lcd scenario. I'd urge you to plugin an external monitor (extended, NOT cloned), and run the numbers again. I doubt they will remain the same.
If you extend the desktop you are rendering 2x (or more) pixels, so OBVIOUSLY it will have a negative impact on performance.
jbehrmusic wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:38 pmI'm not sure what you mean by "rendering"? But I have Reason and I will install it tomorrow and run the test as well.
Rendering is the process of actually drawing the screen - drawing the lines, shading, texturing, animating, etc. Displaying it is simply pushing the already rendered image to the screen. In my example embedded GPU is rendering the image, eGPU is merely displaying it.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:12 pm If you extend the desktop you are rendering 2x (or more) pixels, so OBVIOUSLY it will have a negative impact on performance.
I know, and that was my point previously. It depends on your setup and how you're running your DAW. Pushing to an internal 1080p LCD (in your case) is not the same as me pushing an external 2K (2560 x 1440) LCD. They will perform differently. So on your original post when you state "No, you just need to set it up properly." - That is incorrect, and a bit misleading.

As stated before. Try streaming/recording through OBS while you run Ableton and let me know how great your CPU/Temps hold up. Then try it using your dedicated GPU and compare the results.
antic604 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:12 pmRendering is the process of actually drawing the screen - drawing the lines, shading, texturing, animating, etc. Displaying it is simply pushing the already rendered image to the screen. In my example embedded GPU is rendering the image, eGPU is merely displaying it.
I installed Reason today, and there isn't a CPU monitor, so I'll have to compare each DAW with macOS's built in activity monitor and see what results I get. But just an FYI, I did see activity on my eGPU within Reason 11, which means it does process things outside of the CPU, which goes against what you claimed before. For example. If I open Fabfilter Pro-Q 3 within Reason 11, the graphics that display on the frequency spectrum within Pro-Q 3 are being processed by my eGPU.

I'll do more testing later.

So it depends!? Good discussion, guys!

Observation: take a laptop computer, add a eGPU in a breakout box (with noisy fans and consuming up to a whopping 500W) and you have a desktop computer again with bolted on keyboard.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:00 am Observation: take a laptop computer, add a eGPU in a breakout box (with noisy fans and consuming up to a whopping 500W) and you have a desktop computer again with bolted on keyboard.
The fans aren’t noisy, and there are solutions that push out a lower wattage than 500w. An eGPU isn’t a desktop replacement. It’s an option to those who want to keep their current setup, while adding 20-30% improvement.

You can also mount or relocate the box if noise is a problem, but the unit I bought is pretty quiet. And if you’re in the “I can buy a mid range desktop for $400, why would I invest in an eGPU” camp, show me a desktop + monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc... That can run a daw well for $400. I’ll buy that package immediately.

jbehrmusic wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:51 amIf I open Fabfilter Pro-Q 3 within Reason 11, the graphics that display on the frequency spectrum within Pro-Q 3 are being processed by my eGPU.
I never said PLUGINS can't use the GPU. I even mentioned Unfiltered Audio and Fabfilter as examples of plugins that do.

However, ANY GPU that you already have in your computer, even the one embedded in Intel i-Core processors, is more than enough to handle plotting of frequency spectrum. External GPU won't make a difference and in particular it won't give CPU more breathing room, because that processing already isn't done by CPU.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:58 pm I never said PLUGINS can't use the GPU. I even mentioned Unfiltered Audio and Fabfilter as examples of plugins that do.
antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:58 pmReason or Bitwig will always render on CPU no matter how much GPUs you have and how you set up your system. GPU acceleration needs to be built-in into the DAW and what you're left with is choice of GPU to use, if your system allows it.
You said Reason will always render on CPU. Which was false, since some plugins were rendered on the GPU.
antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:58 pmHowever, ANY GPU that you already have in your computer, even the one embedded in Intel i-Core processors, is more than enough to handle plotting of frequency spectrum. External GPU won't make a difference and in particular it won't give CPU more breathing room, because that processing already isn't done by CPU.
Unless you're ONLY talking about frequency spectrum plotting (which I never was ONLY talking about that), my video and testing prove otherwise, especially when using OBS. And on a practical level, it can help with thermals. Whatever explanation you have been giving, doesn't reflect what actually happens during real world testing.

jbehrmusic wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:32 pm
antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:58 pm I never said PLUGINS can't use the GPU. I even mentioned Unfiltered Audio and Fabfilter as examples of plugins that do.
antic604 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:58 pmReason or Bitwig will always render on CPU no matter how much GPUs you have and how you set up your system. GPU acceleration needs to be built-in into the DAW and what you're left with is choice of GPU to use, if your system allows it.
You said Reason will always render on CPU. Which was false, since some plugins were rendered on the GPU.
Yes, and I stand by it - plugins are independent (sub)programs HOSTED by the DAW and they decide by themselves how they render their GUI. Read about what .dll file (how VST2 are distributed) is.
Music tech enthusiast

jbehrmusic wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:32 pm...my video and testing prove otherwise, especially when using OBS...
How is OBS relevant for music production? And obviously an external GPU will help with OBS if your internal GPU cannot handle encoding the video to h264 (or whatever format) and thus the CPU has to do it.

Again, what you're only proving is that by adding stuff to your underspecced hardware (or improperly setup software) you are improving performance. But same can be said about adding an engine to your bike. It might run faster, but probably easier & likely cheaper it would be to get a proper moto-bike.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:42 am How is OBS relevant for music production? And obviously an external GPU will help with OBS if your internal GPU cannot handle encoding the video to h264 (or whatever format) and thus the CPU has to do it.
Because a lot of people like streaming [on twitch] and/or creating music tutorials/videos on YouTube.

Even without OBS, my testing proves otherwise. While running an eGPU, my mac mini runs cooler (temps in C are lower) and it runs more efficient (less CPU usage). And as an added bonus, I can stream/record via OBS without hassle.
antic604 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:42 amAgain, what you're only proving is that by adding stuff to your underspecced hardware (or improperly setup software) you are improving performance. But same can be said about adding an engine to your bike. It might run faster, but probably easier & likely cheaper it would be to get a proper moto-bike.
Many older macbook pros (many of the 2015 models) can benefit from an eGPU, along with many other laptops and/or mini-pcs and mac minis. You never shared how I had my software setup improperly, as they were just baseless assertions on your part. You're using a gaming laptop, without using an external monitor, and from the screenshot you're only using stock plugins? Of course you're going to be running much more efficiently, compared to many other people.

If you want to say this is like adding an engine to your bike. Then I guess so is adding more RAM, an SSD, an eGPU, the list goes on...

Interesting stuff and video. Worth reading more about!

Protocol187¥ wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:52 pm Interesting stuff and video. Worth reading more about!
there's actually a part two if you're interested!

check here: https://youtu.be/Pxbui_JjNfs

Return to “Production Techniques”