Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Benedict wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:24 am I loved Shortcircuit 1 (2 not so much but if I recall correctly I never got done).

SC 1 was (and I said this several times) a lot like using my EMU Emax I & II samplers in that while it was a bit of a spreadsheet matrix to look at, it made for a really nice instrument. It was all over many of my albums from that time.

I'd be interested to see SC 1 return or have the simple Sample Loading go in Surge as I have always really liked samplers as synths.

;-)
Yeah SC1 is so much better than SC2. Love that thing :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:22 pm Alright, thanks for your input. Nothing that can't be done in Kontakt or Falcon, just as efficiently, as far as I can tell. But yeah, there's the price (and in case of Falcon, iLok) factor!
Price is not really the only factor. SC v1 was simply a way nicer sampler to use for creative work than those you list, I would class Kontakt/Falcon as great sample-lib development environments but not fun to use as creative sampler instruments at all. Of course they are more 'powerful' but I find them fiddly in the extreme, horrible miniscule controls (like those for setting start/end/loop points), I hate the scroll scroll scroll of the f**king UIs too. I have Falcon and never load it up. It is included with Pro Tools and the only reason I installed it was for the Ircam stuff which admittedly sounds very good, but it's usually too CPU-intensive to be of any use sadly.

Tal sampler is doing the job for me right now, but SC had a better architecture overall. Would love to see it open sourced and ported to Mac finally (it never happened back in the day)

moshimoshi wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:48 am
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:22 pm Alright, thanks for your input. Nothing that can't be done in Kontakt or Falcon, just as efficiently, as far as I can tell. But yeah, there's the price (and in case of Falcon, iLok) factor!
Price is not really the only factor. SC v1 was simply a way nicer sampler to use for creative work than those you list, I would class Kontakt/Falcon as great sample-lib development environments but not fun to use as creative sampler instruments at all. Of course they are more 'powerful' but I find them fiddly in the extreme, horrible miniscule controls (like those for setting start/end/loop points), I hate the scroll scroll scroll of the f**king UIs too. I have Falcon and never load it up. It is included with Pro Tools and the only reason I installed it was for the Ircam stuff which admittedly sounds very good, but it's usually too CPU-intensive to be of any use sadly.

Tal sampler is doing the job for me right now, but SC had a better architecture overall. Would love to see it open sourced and ported to Mac finally (it never happened back in the day)
This. Kontakt is a pain to use
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Thought this thread was about Surge. Looks like its gone off the rails a bit...

Halonmusic wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:36 pmLimited? No. Its got a great amount of effects, 12 modulation slots, 3 lfos and so on :)
Has less of all of that than Kontakt or Falcon tho. :)

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:10 am
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:36 pmLimited? No. Its got a great amount of effects, 12 modulation slots, 3 lfos and so on :)
Has less of all of that than Kontakt or Falcon tho. :)
True. But i love the fast workflow in shortcircuit :)

I would really really REALLY like to see short circuit come back. Just a 64 bit with some bug fixes would really make 2020 a good year for me. It's a really great sampler.

Perhaps adding an sfz oscillator to the mix like Zampler?

focusrite wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:16 pm Perhaps adding an sfz oscillator to the mix like Zampler?
That would be really interesting.

Halonmusic wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:21 pm
focusrite wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:16 pm Perhaps adding an sfz oscillator to the mix like Zampler?
https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/1069

Are there any plans for FM unison?

focusrite wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:45 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:21 pm
https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/1069
:tu:

stillshaded wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:43 pm I would really really REALLY like to see short circuit come back. Just a 64 bit with some bug fixes would really make 2020 a good year for me. It's a really great sampler.
That would be amazing. SC1 was the best! Would love to have it available cross modern OS and cross platform (including Linux ). Would certainly pay for that, even if closed source.

fladd wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:53 pm Would certainly pay for that, even if closed source.
There is rarely a problem with paying for open source. You could even pay the original dev of Surge, just get Bitwig...; - )

Hey Folks.

Bringing it back to Surge for a bit. We're planning on releasing 1.6.5 in a couple of weeks and we have a lot of improvements, including full KBM support, a lot of fixes to the VST3, improvements to the modulation section, UI improvements with temposync - basically a lot. Many of these changes were in response to requests directly from this thread (for instance, I added an export-wavetable option). Full changelog here: https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/changelog/

But we really need help testing before we print the release. Especially on the platforms we don't use that much (like VST2 on 32 bit windows - no-one here runs that!) having a few folks grab the nightly and give it a whirl would be great.

And some of the most important contributions to the project have come from people doing careful tests and writing good bug reports. So if you are willing to help it would be great if you could

1. Go to https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/#downloads and download the nightly installer

2. Install it. (You can always install the 1.6.4.1 or any of the priors if you need to go back)

3. Use it to make music. Try your workflow. We are especially interested in (1) VST3 automation users; (2) people in diverse windows environments with our modified installer; (3) folks using tuning and (4) general testing the UI since we made a lot of tweaks

4. If you find something you think is a bug either raise a GitHub issue (here: https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues - accounts are free), drop into our slack and post on #general, or grab a member of the team through one of the other social angles (including commenting here; although that will have a slower response than GitHub or slack).

Finally - thanks for testing! A few more folks giving it a while will make us much more confident when we finish off the release.

Return to “Instruments”