Apple’s new T2 chip causing audio issues ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

New? It was introduced 3 years ago...

Wasn't that fixed with Mojave 10.14.4?

Probably. It was one of those things that was blown out of all proportion a few years back, and some people just don’t want to let go when they see an opportunity to criticize Apple. :shrug:

Iirc, it was a pretty significant issue.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:34 am Iirc, it was a pretty significant issue.
apparently still is for some people. there's still reports on some forums even w/the new macs.

Bombadil wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:34 am Iirc, it was a pretty significant issue.
That depends on how many people it effected. For whatever reason, I never had an issue with my USB 2.0 Focusrite Scarlett, before or after the patch. Some people are saying the problem still exists, but I tend to think that it's more Dunning Kruger, where every glitch is more noticeable because people are hyper-sensitive to the T2 issue.

Also, Louis Rossmann, despite being a brilliant guy, loves to grandstand. But he's a Youtuber, so that's pretty much a given.
Last edited by teilo on Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I don’t think the majority of people had issues, and as you say there was a patch at the OS level that made things go pretty quiet on this.

Based on the thread title I assume the OP has little knowledge of this beyond the YouTube headline

I remember a fair number of people who bought the latest Mini or iMac Pro gnashing their teeth about it over at lphelp. Still, if it's fixed it's one less thing to be concerned about should I need a new Mac.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

There are still people having the issue with Catalina. If memory served, it usually happened when the system hardware clock was being updated during a time sync. The "fix" was to disable time synchronization.

Why is it that I want to punch Rossmann in the face every time I see a still of him?

Bumping this thread because I couldn't find an answer: I know this issue is still present (although not as bad) in the last versions of Mojave and Catalina, but is anyone with a pre-2018 MacBook experiencing it? I read that it effects Hackintosh too, which surprised me because of the obvious lack of a T2 chip.

teilo wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:17 pm Why is it that I want to punch Rossmann in the face every time I see a still of him?
...because you’re a violent type of lad?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Yes, if you are planning to use the notebook's audio out for making music, you should not buy a Macbook by Apple. Even the new 16 inch Macbook has such problems. It is caused by the heavy abstraction / emulation of a DAC inside the ARM t2 chip. Also latencies can't be better here, nothing is faster than a DAC in hardware (and much more reliable and cheaper, too).

Also regarding proper cooling, a Macbook is a very bad choice. Remember that your CPU may have to calculate a lot in audio, so it will get very hot, if you use a complex song setup.

If you want to surf in the web, post on Facebook, write emails, or buy stock, then a Macbook is the right choice for you though.

And no, none of these T2 chip problems were properly fixed. You simply will have issues with audio, which are caused by poor hardware design, so not fixable at all.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:19 am Yes, if you are planning to use the notebook's audio out for making music, you should not buy a Macbook by Apple. Even the new 16 inch Macbook has such problems. It is caused by the heavy abstraction / emulation of a DAC inside the ARM t2 chip. Also latencies can't be better here, nothing is faster than a DAC in hardware (and much more reliable and cheaper, too).

Also regarding proper cooling, a Macbook is a very bad choice. Remember that your CPU may have to calculate a lot in audio, so it will get very hot, if you use a complex song setup.

If you want to surf in the web, post on Facebook, write emails, or buy stock, then a Macbook is the right choice for you though.

And no, none of these T2 chip problems were properly fixed. You simply will have issues with audio, which are caused by poor hardware design, so not fixable at all.
Were you replying to me? Because I was specifically talking about using hacks or refurbished, pre-T2 MBs. I know the new hardware is crap, but I couldn’t tell if it was also a software issue.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”