video editing software similar to a daw

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

is there any video editing software where u can load in vsts and record tracks along to a video ?

Vegas

DaVinci resolve will do that. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ciresolve/ Scroll to the bottom for the free version.

really? free software does it support vst3 ?

You get a complete Fairlight DAW with it! Fully professional including plugin support. Of course as soon you make serious money with it, its not free anymore, which is extremely fair and a good idea in general...

i really need to try this out , is it only effects or instruments too ?

I tried DaVinci, promising, but the crashes every 45 seconds put me off. Apparently the paid version is a lot more stable.

Don't believe Davinci Resolve uses ASIO... so low-latency audio is off the table.

Vegas is the closest the OP is going to find.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

It's been a while since I used Vegas (still was under the Sony brand) but at the time (IMO) it was by far the closest I've found.

tehlord wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:18 pm I tried DaVinci, promising, but the crashes every 45 seconds put me off. Apparently the paid version is a lot more stable.
Never had a crash here. (Mac though...)

Really simple audio things are there in some video editors.
But make a video - if you do your own - and render - and then use in daw to really get flexible. Routings, sends, editing and automation etc is nowhere near in video editors.
Then import audio from daw into video editor again and make a new render.

The preview video for daw work could even be less resolution if there is any issue with that. But stick to same framerate that final will have.

And some daws like Reaper that try to be video editor too - things become half baked, kind of.

For me StudioOne is king in daw world doing video as well. i don't even notice it's there for the sake of things become a bit slow that I felt in Cubase and Reaper. And cpu is virtually not noticed running the video too.

And since able to render AAC audio into video again - you might do final render right in StudioOne.

Video editors are so good at doing video and audio just extension. Simple things recording a narrator and some background music - fine - but if to make you own music not so fluent.

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:32 am
tehlord wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:18 pm I tried DaVinci, promising, but the crashes every 45 seconds put me off. Apparently the paid version is a lot more stable.
No crashes here on W10x64. I started using it about a year ago and there have been bug fixes since then. As development is ongoing you might want to try it again, tehlord.

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:32 am
I had plenty of issues on both Mac and PC so went back to FCPX. It's not a minor issue either, it's a common problem to have instability with the free version of Resolve, at least.

Did you try a paid version? I think its the same code... Your problems might have a different reason and that the paid version seams more stable might be because professionals are used to more professional computers set ups??? Just guessing...

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:48 pm Did you try a paid version? I think its the same code... Your problems might have a different reason and that the paid version seams more stable might be because professionals are used to more professional computers set ups??? Just guessing...
It might struggle on systems with a low number of cores or especially without a good enough graphics card. Certainly, if I switch on enough effects, the live frame rate will drop for me though it doesn't influence other applications I might be running at the time as I have a Ryzen 7 based system.

Only bug I found was the visual feedback for the audio vanished after saving and required a reload but that was fixed in a subsequent update. I wouldn't expect the paid version to be any different - that doesn't make any sense. The only difference that I can see is that you have access to all the visual effects which are otherwise disabled in the free version.

It's a great product. Amazing that it's free. That and Blender. With Serif close to matching Adobe's Photoshop but with free updates for life and Sonar being freely available, these are fine times to be using software.

howtobecalm79 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:09 pm i really need to try this out , is it only effects or instruments too ?
I don't think that loading plugin instruments in video editing software is all that practical when it comes to resource management. I would expect that to overtax the system. A number of DAWs support video playback though so it's easy enough to sync things up. I've bounced projects between Pro Tools and FL Studio before for this very purpose without issue.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”