Why is Slate Digital hated?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ATS wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:06 am The better question is who is hated here on KVR? I mean I know U-he is loved but seems any company that is not a one man show besides U-he is hated. I guess it's anyone who is trying to actually make money is bad somehow.
Don't think there much hate in here regarding any developers, including Slate. Maybe except iLok but that is rightfully deserved. Otherwise not much. There seems to be some increase of cases of Waves Derangement Syndrome and maybe PA has been falling out of favor lately but I would not call it hate.

I've probably said it already somewhere in this thread but Slates comes off as mix of used cars salesman and a new age douche trying to sell "positive lifestyle" with a hint of Jehovah's Witness but instead iLok in place of Jehovah.
Last edited by robotmonkey on Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
No signature here!

Some of us love iLok.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:54 am Some of us love iLok.
You probably love Slate too :hihi:
No signature here!

:lol:

ATS wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:06 am The better question is who is hated here on KVR? I mean I know U-he is loved but seems any company that is not a one man show besides U-he is hated. I guess it's anyone who is trying to actually make money is bad somehow.
That's a ridiculous statement... :lol:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I don’t like slate because its all marketing, even when he does some basic shit he upmarkets it like he just reinvented physics.
That, and his fans. His fans are worse than acoustica fans.

As for the sound: It sounds okay, but its not anything i cant find in other brands as good or better, but those other brands usually at least tell me what kind of processing they do.

BaronWaterpark wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:17 am. His company would certainly have the appearance of higher class if he didn't represent it.
Maybe but i guess he sales to the masses.
At 15$/month, you can’t really blame him. He’s a telemarket style salesman with products that are most likely worth 15$/month that he charges for.

He can’t sell higher class with his current MO.

Slate (Steven Slate and Fabrice Gabriel) have completely replaced my UAD and greatly improved my sound.
Steven is of course a salesman, he knows how to make money from a good idea. I think it's great and I have no problem with it, after all there is a good chance that the company will still exist in a few years.

No, I have no hate for Slate, rather recognition for what they have achieved. Sure, sometimes I have to smile about Steven's marketing, but that's business.

Mmm! Isn't it time we moved on from this topic. Seems like it's just become a totem around which Slate naysayers can dance around. It seems strangely obsessive to go on about the guys personality more than the product. This is a music forum and not a platform for character assassination like Fox news.

kelvyn wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:53 am Mmm! Isn't it time we moved on from this topic. Seems like it's just become a totem around which Slate naysayers can dance around. It seems strangely obsessive to go on about the guys personality more than the product. This is a music forum and not a platform for character assassination like Fox news.
This!! This is tiresome (and i am not Slate fan either). On top of that - it's not that their plugins sound bad or something like that. Actually they are above middle class.

This naysayers thread should be locked.

kmonkey wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:48 pm
This!! This is tiresome (and i am not Slate fan either). On top of that - it's not that their plugins sound bad or something like that. Actually they are above middle class.

We discuss plugin manufacturers selling, marketing and licensing methods all the time... why should this be locked?

What do you define as “middle” sounding?
kelvyn wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:53 am Mmm! Isn't it time we moved on from this topic. Seems like it's just become a totem around which Slate naysayers can dance around. It seems strangely obsessive to go on about the guys personality more than the product. This is a music forum and not a platform for character assassination like Fox news.
I don’t think of it as character assassination tho.
The issue is he made his character the selling point of his plugins, and has developed a sort of personality cult around it. Which you can either love or hate, because he makes it VERY hard for you to ignore...
I mean, if you don’t want your character discussed don’t parade it around like its the biggest feature of your product?

Ploki wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:54 pm I mean, if you don’t want your character discussed don’t parade it around like its the biggest feature of your product?
Remember kids, when playing Slate Hate Club, if all else fails, just make shit up.

kelvyn wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:53 am blah … This is a music forum and not a platform for character assassination like Fox news.
kvr rocks / cnn sucks

Ploki wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:54 pm
kmonkey wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:48 pm

We discuss plugin manufacturers selling, marketing and licensing methods all the time... why should this be locked?
Respectful discussion, yes. Plain out bashing, no. There have been many rant threads lately, most of them directed toward certain developers including several at iLok, Waves, Plugin Alliance, Disco DSP, Melda Productions (with the title of "Sorry but your upgrade plan is the biggest bull***s*** ever") and now this one, and honestly enough is enough. Do you really have nothing more constructive to do with your time? How about trying to make better music?

As far as I am concerned, rant threads should be automatically locked and deleted.

Woohoo...

A good excuse for a dance...

Watch me ma...

I'm dancing ;)

Return to “Effects”