Korg releases Korg Triton VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
KORG Collection

glokraw wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:53 am I realize the specs indicate win 10 is needed, but does
anybody by chance, have it working in a pre-10 setting?
Both the Triton plugin and standalone exe work on Windows 7. As I'm sure you know, we'll be hearing all about how Windows 7 is falling out of support in the coming few weeks (except for Microsoft's Corporate cronies, of course, where updates will continue.. ).

So expect to see Windows 10 as the requirement going forward, whether or not that's actually a "real" requirement, as companies have to err on the side of caution since, if something breaks (not that Microsoft would ever deliberately do anything like that.. ) then, without the possibility of updates to fix it, it's possible they can't do anything about it.

I guess still not resizable? I mean the older plugins in the collection. This is what have prevented me from buying the collection so far. I did that mistake with the AIR plugins.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Finally !!! But no PCG import ? I have a Korg Triton Rack and a lot of soundbanks for this ...

PAK wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:58 am
glokraw wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:53 am I realize the specs indicate win 10 is needed, but does
Both the Triton plugin and standalone exe work on Windows 7. As I'm sure you know, we'll be hearing all about how Windows 7 is falling out of support in the coming few weeks
Thanks for confirming that!
Cheers

I wonder if has some sort of DAC emulation. Recreating digital algorithms is great, but half of the magic of those digital synths was that liveliness that imperfect DACs added. At least this is my hypothesis, because we have M1 and Wavestation which don't emulate DACs and sound pretty boring and definitely not as good as the original hardware, and also we have Roland Cloud instruments like D50 and JV1080, which actually emulate DACs (I don't know if there's any official info about it, but it can clearly be heard in tails with long decay) and at the same time are very true to their originals.

There is some vague statement about reproducing "subtle sound texture unique to the hardware", which gives me some hope though.

Cheers
I have it installed in Windows 7, and it works. My only problem, for the moment, is related with the Program/Bank Change messages, which I can't manage to get to work reliably.

EDIT: Oops... It has been answered already. Sorry :oops:
Fernando (FMR)

Arp_ wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:55 am I wonder if has some sort of DAC emulation. Recreating digital algorithms is great, but half of the magic of those digital synths was that liveliness that imperfect DACs added. At least this is my hypothesis, because we have M1 and Wavestation which don't emulate DACs and sound pretty boring and definitely not as good as the original hardware, and also we have Roland Cloud instruments like D50 and JV1080, which actually emulate DACs (I don't know if there's any official info about it, but it can clearly be heard in tails with long decay) and at the same time are very true to their originals.

There is some vague statement about reproducing "subtle sound texture unique to the hardware", which gives me some hope though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sY09XouWv0

I honestly disagree. Using this fantastic video by Woody as a reference, The M1 sounds astonishingly good for such an ancient plugin. Big props to him for putting together a great video.

IS there the slightest difference? I do think the the hardware is slightly more punchy and has more low-mid, so that might be what you're talking about. The plugin sounds more cleaner and has more presence in comparison which might come down to the DAC's or lack-their-of in the digital realm as you said.

But I dare challenge any listener to really notice that in a mix or care honestly. It's not some horrible samplepack ripe with the chipmunk effect all over. Every patch and sound is playable at every octave, you can create and save your own stuff, etc. Closing my eyes, I can only pick apart the M1 plugin in Woody's video because there's slightly more presence and not quite as much warmth and that's it (he also has the reverb on the plugin which unfortunately gives it away alot), and that's only in patches that are already somewhat bright to begin with. The patch at 3:57 totally fooled me and I couldn't hear the transition from the hardware to the plugin, only because the sound started over again and not sonically. The same with the sound at 6:09. Turn away from the video or close your eyes and try to see if you can pick up apart sonically one from the other. Knowing the hardware plays first and then the plugin brings confirmation bias into play, but I don't think I could tell one from the other if I didn't know that.

The only true downfall of the plugin is the drums which I'll readily admit sound very poor, so I'm not sure what happened there. Everything else is spot-on and pulling hairs at this level. Of course, that's only my opinion :phones:
Last edited by Shiek927 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arp_ wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:55 am M1 and Wavestation which don't emulate DACs and sound pretty boring and definitely not as good as the original hardware
Nothing you say here on after can be taken seriously.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

starflakeprj wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:21 am I guess still not resizable? I mean the older plugins in the collection. This is what have prevented me from buying the collection so far. I did that mistake with the AIR plugins.
In the demo, there are six sizes under Menu-Screen Sizes.

Edit: sorry, didn't see your reference to the older plugs.

With something like Decimort, the M1 VST sounds just like the hardware.

fmr wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:10 am
Cheers
I have it installed in Windows 7, and it works. My only problem, for the moment, is related with the Program/Bank Change messages, which I can't manage to get to work reliably.

EDIT: Oops... It has been answered already. Sorry :oops:
Got the Triton working on one win 7 setup, and as I really like the
M1 sounds, it's not a surprise to me that I really like Triton sounds
as well. I'll have to give the ole Timeberry tree a good shake,
if I want to audition the other 3970 sounds :hyper:
Cheers

From reading the thread and on the website am I correct in saying the yellow voucher code is automatically applid when clocking the yellow link, or should the voucher apply a further discount.
I see the $149 price for my upgrade and a voucher code.
So is the conclusion the total upgrade including discount is $149?
Last edited by MFXxx on Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:05 pm
Whywhy wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:45 pm I hope they will release a z1 or a triton physical modeling expansion board!
Quite unlikely, since they never reused Z1 code since then. Not even in OASYS/Kronos. Whereas the rest of Triton engine (the rompler part) just got built more and more upon.
Wasn’t there a PCI card released that had all the physical modeling and virtual analog stuff that was from that era of Korg? Maybe I’m just imagining this, but I recall wanting to buy it very badly maybe 12 years back.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

$150 upgrade is a bit heavy-handed for me. I hope they offer the upgrade as a discount on their next sale.

musical wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:44 pm
starflakeprj wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:21 am I guess still not resizable? I mean the older plugins in the collection. This is what have prevented me from buying the collection so far. I did that mistake with the AIR plugins.
In the demo, there are six sizes under Menu-Screen Sizes.

Edit: sorry, didn't see your reference to the older plugs.
Thank you for confirming, I will wait and see if Korg finally decides to update to resizable GUI's on the old plugins.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Return to “Instruments”