I love my Cubase 10

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys, got a problem where I emptied the blacklisted plugins and now Cubase 10 crashes on start up, every time. There seems to be no way to get it to start up.
Anyone here know how fix it?
Thanks in advance.

Harry_HH wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:20 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:14 pm You love Cubase 10, I love my wife.
I love your wife, too. :D
Dirty Harry :lol:

simmo75 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:16 pm Hi guys, got a problem where I emptied the blacklisted plugins and now Cubase 10 crashes on start up, every time. There seems to be no way to get it to start up.
Thanks in advance.
One by one move the blacklisted plug-ins (that you put back before) to another folder (outside your normal vst folders). Try starting up after each moved plug-in. When Cubase starts up again you know what plug-in gives you the problem.

Or in reverse order : move all those blacklisted plug-ins. See if Cubase starts. Then move plug-ins back one by one...
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:06 pm
simmo75 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:16 pm Hi guys, got a problem where I emptied the blacklisted plugins and now Cubase 10 crashes on start up, every time. There seems to be no way to get it to start up.
Thanks in advance.
One by one move the blacklisted plug-ins (that you put back before) to another folder (outside your normal vst folders). Try starting up after each moved plug-in. When Cubase starts up again you know what plug-in gives you the problem.

Or in reverse order : move all those blacklisted plug-ins. See if Cubase starts. Then move plug-ins back one by one...
Oh wow, I’m not even sure what plugins were in there... seems like a ball ache. Maybe I should just reinstall it?

What does the crash report say ? If you get one that is...usually it points to a plug-in or process that's causing it.
More BPM please

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:33 pm I can totally get where Spectralayers could come in handy for post-production or restoration. In fact, it seems like a critical tool in those applications. But I honestly can't think of a whole lot of musical contexts where I'd benefit from it. They could do a better job demonstrating it in musical contexts I guess.
This is a couple of years old, but this article with audio examples from Magix does a pretty good job of explaining how spectral casting/spectral molding can be used for mixing and sound design. From a mixing perspective, it could potentially be more powerful/interesting/useful than side-chaining or dynamic EQing -- albeit, with a more involved process.

I got SpectraLayers Pro 4 a while back as part of a Samplitude Pro suite, so the upgrade price for v6 is spendy by comparison. For those who do a lot of audio editing and sound design, it might be a good value. But this post on the Cakewalk forum isn't very encouraging to me.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:33 pmSo far, the Spectralayers videos seem very heavy on the "look! It's a Photoshop for DAWs! With image editing tools!" And very light on practical, musical, audio examples.

I can totally get where Spectralayers could come in handy for post-production or restoration. In fact, it seems like a critical tool in those applications. But I honestly can't think of a whole lot of musical contexts where I'd benefit from it. They could do a better job demonstrating it in musical contexts I guess.
It's basically what iZotope's Iris does so you can check that out if you want to see some musical applications of the technology.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

^^^ has not tried Isis(spectral synthesis) yet ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEy-dlp7lLo
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:48 am
rmacattack wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:28 am Cubase is a great old school DAW.
"Old school" as opposed to what?
It's not really used among the new generational producers/engineers. Since finishing up audio school it's primarily pro tools/logic and we have Ableton. Then on the outside my classmates us Ableton, Fl and Logic. Studio One, Reaper, Cubase and Sonar were never talked about in that circle.

v10 uses a shit ton more CPU than v9.5

Cubase is very very cpu intensive.
Last edited by beatmangler443 on Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

sqigls wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:52 pm v10 uses a shit ton more CPU than v9.5
I didn't find that on my setup. The exact same projects from 9.5.x use less CPU on 10.5.x

Perhaps it's the 3rd party plugins or vst you are using.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

CPU usage is noticeably higher in Cubase 10 than Orion - a song that runs at around 18% in Orion uses around 25% in Cubase - but that's about as CPU intensive as anything gets so it is a complete non-issue for us. The difference could also be that between Wasp in Orion and having to use ArcSyn in Cubase for the same part, plus using a guitar VSTi that's not in the Orion version. Another song that's pretty much the same in each is 22% v 25%, which is even less worth worrying about.
rmacattack wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:30 pmIt's not really used among the new generational producers/engineers. Since finishing up audio school it's primarily pro tools/logic and we have Ableton. Then on the outside my classmates us Ableton, Fl and Logic. Studio One, Reaper, Cubase and Sonar were never talked about in that circle.
Of course not, they don't have the experience to realise there is a whole world of goodness beyond what they learned at art college. Given time and experience, they will learn and grow.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I own 10.5 Pro, but I can't really make myself use it.

For some reason I dislike the piano roll (MIDI event editor or whatever it's called...). For one, it's dark and depressing. Then the horizontal spacing makes it look like I'm always putting notes somewhere between the keys, not ON them. Lastly, simple editing like moving the notes, extending them, resizing seems very imprecise and happens with slight delay. Perhaps I need to practice more, but even Reason's quite outdated piano roll seems more convenient for basic operations, especially after updates in 10.2 and 11.0.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:18 am I own 10.5 Pro, but I can't really make myself use it.

For some reason I dislike the piano roll (MIDI event editor or whatever it's called...). For one, it's dark and depressing. Then the horizontal spacing makes it look like I'm always putting notes somewhere between the keys, not ON them. Lastly, simple editing like moving the notes, extending them, resizing seems very imprecise and happens with slight delay. Perhaps I need to practice more, but even Reason's quite outdated piano roll seems more convenient for basic operations, especially after updates in 10.2 and 11.0.
Before I started using C10 I was only used to working with midi on Maschine. It took a little getting used to but now I totally dig the Cubase one. The keyboard shortcuts and ability to move in increments is very useful. Also, I think you can change that display. I see on the Cubase Greg Ondo videos he has a a white background setup.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”