Unknown Cargo [trance]... feedback welcome...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My latest offering. Trance, VPS Avenger.
Feedback on arrangement, mixing, sound selection etc. always welcome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xaHByX0DGs

So the whole thing is Avenger? Quite a capable synth. I would have thought that kick was from a dedicated drum machine. Same with snare. Anyway, well done. Really enjoyed this. Just wish it was longer.

I love it! Subscribed to your YouTube and Soundcloud!

The only thing that bugged me a bit was that the bass was to the left while the arps were to the right - felt somehow unbalanced to me.

Really enjoyed it, nice work! So what's in the cargo? 😅

Best,
Adi/Thedeadsoul

@wags, thanks for commenting (as usual). Appreciate the effort you put into giving feedback on others.
@haslo, well spotted with the arp. I have it gently panning with PanMan. The bass I think is down the middle, I'll have to double check that.
@thedeadsoul, "whats in the cargo" - you'll have to use your imagination. But, I think it's not a good thing. Its something that is unleashed when the divers come to recover the module.

Great track. Personally would like the lead to have done something abit appregiated more from 2:52. Track has a good feel to it. Im not into the filterd 2nd lead sound that in the first 30 secs however it goes well with the track.

Bob Slydell wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:37 am Great track. Personally would like the lead to have done something abit appregiated more from 2:52. Track has a good feel to it. Im not into the filterd 2nd lead sound that in the first 30 secs however it goes well with the track.
Thanks for commenting Bob, appreciate it.

I liked the beginning but then the beat came in and the energy went away instead of increasing.

Track has some great energy and drive. The mix is spot on for me. The changes feel unique with those laser sounds, then the break changes key and has a great mystery. Some trance I would actually listen to. Bravo. If I could make any constructive comment it would be make it a tad brighter in the over 10kHz freq to open it up just tad.

@Kain, thanks for the feedback, I'll ponder your thoughts on the energy
@mindstuff, appreciate the comments on mixing, since your stuff is mixed well on your soundcloud. I'll look into that 10kHz tweak here, see if it adds something. I got Gullfoss a few months ago and really like it, however, in the beginning I did overdo it and it made my mixes brighter, so I backed off... maybe I backed off too much(!?)

Hi Mr Saw

The sounds are good. They sound thick & chewy which is a win. Melodically I'd hope for more but Trance seems to not like that so...

Yes the mix seems to start right-skewed. Not wrong at all (but I did wonder if my cables were playing up again).

The drums don't really lose energy to me but they do "pin the track down", This is less of an issue in the second half which overall feels far more engaging, rich & deep, as well as having more drive. Going back I realize that they are essentially the same loops so it is just that pre-drums we must be expecting something slightly different - less nailed down maybe. Maybe a very slightly different rhythm or even tweaked lead-in would change that first expectation. More listens seems to solve that so it is not a killer at all - with the possible exception of if this is to the one-shot make it or break it single.

A little extra something at 10K is probably not a bad idea but it would only be a db or so. I'd use a very smooth slope. As Mr Stuff said, it is just about a bit of air and that fizzy space in the track. Do it after any Compression as compressors & limiters kill this stuff.

I think you should be proud of this. I could hear it on a compilation of underground Trance people. If there isn't one happening these days then maybe you should make one.

:-)

Benedict wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:07 am A little extra something at 10K is probably not a bad idea but it would only be a db or so. I'd use a very smooth slope. As Mr Stuff said, it is just about a bit of air and that fizzy space in the track. Do it after any Compression as compressors & limiters kill this stuff.
Thanks Benedict, appreciate the feedback.
I'll have a look at the 10k in my analyser, see what its doing. It might be me reacting to my experience with Gullfoss and backing the brightness down. Its a great tool, just have to use it sparingly. In terms of mixing this is the first track where I was consciously trying to create a dip between 100-300Hz.

Bansaw wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:53 pm
Benedict wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:07 am A little extra something at 10K is probably not a bad idea but it would only be a db or so. I'd use a very smooth slope. As Mr Stuff said, it is just about a bit of air and that fizzy space in the track. Do it after any Compression as compressors & limiters kill this stuff.
Thanks Benedict, appreciate the feedback.
I'll have a look at the 10k in my analyser, see what its doing. It might be me reacting to my experience with Gullfoss and backing the brightness down. Its a great tool, just have to use it sparingly. In terms of mixing this is the first track where I was consciously trying to create a dip between 100-300Hz.
Gulfoss, the waterfall???
Oh I see, one of those A.I. EQ thingees. Oh no they say not A.I. (points to them). I would try it except iLok and $290 spend is not likely right now :-(
This sounds very interesting from the Mastering video (and Whytse's confusion). Normally these things make me a bit sad but this seems to be a good product. It would be very easy to get carried away.

Benedict wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:49 am Oh I see, one of those A.I. EQ thingees. Oh no they say not A.I. (points to them). I would try it except iLok and $290 spend is not likely right now :-(
I've only got a machine iLok and it registered there ok. For me it was $99 because I got it on an intro sale after I demoed it. I figured I could resell it quite easily if I outgrew it. Turns out in the small print, intro-sale buyers can't do that, but I am using it so thats OK...
It deals with resonant frequencies and helps with muddiness quite efficiently. Just have to be careful not to overdo it. They have a demo I think. It just speeds up my workflow.
Neutron3 has a similar plugin in its suite, but as with most izotopes stuff, its cpu hungry.

Normally I am very anti-this sort of thing (Neutron and all that the A.I. magically will make your turd smell like Beyonce Heat drivel) but oddly, I rather liked the bit of Gulfoss I saw so I think be happy you got it and at as such a price.

Return to “Music Cafe”