Arturia Pigments 2 (Free Update): Now it's Granular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:18 am
Ohlson_M wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:24 pm
this synth is pure heaven for pad sounds.
You won't disagree if I add keys and bells sounds to that, would you? :)
No, it has that dreamlike type of sound overall. But maybe I am biased because of the UI. I have found that the UI (for good or bad) often affects my inspiration for creating certain types of sounds. When I look at Serum or Avenger I get tons of inspiration for creating aggressive leads and basses, but when I use Arturia synths I often think about creating more dreamlike sounds, such as pads, keys or bells.

Ohlson_M wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:49 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:18 am
Ohlson_M wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:24 pm
this synth is pure heaven for pad sounds.
You won't disagree if I add keys and bells sounds to that, would you? :)
No, it has that dreamlike type of sound overall. But maybe I am biased because of the UI. I have found that the UI (for good or bad) often affects my inspiration for creating certain types of sounds. When I look at Serum or Avenger I get tons of inspiration for creating aggressive leads and basses, but when I use Arturia synths I often think about creating more dreamlike sounds, such as pads, keys or bells.
Exactly, and the point about being UI based sounds like a good idea to me. It helps you in selecting the right synth fast thereby avoiding wastage of time. After all, that's one goal of UI - invite users to play it (in a certain way and for certain sounds). Not all synths can do all sounds equally great.

Hello, can anybody elaborate more on the CPU usage of Pigments 2? I have the 1st version so should be able to upgrade for free. But my computer is so so even with Pigments 1 - someone wrote here that the 2nd version is more efficient. Is that true? Maybe with those original engines but the granular stuff hits the CPU..? I assume that the new version overwrite the original, so I am hesitating with the update because of this CPU usage uncertainty.
Beside this I really like the features of this update.

Does pigment really have a good analog simulation? Should it sound like real hardware, with which hardware are the filters comparable? Is pitch drift emulated, how high is the upsampling? Are Juno and Moog sounds possible? Modular i'm fully served. But i'm still looking for a good hardware emulation with many possibilities. I have DIVA in sight, but maybe other VA can convince as well. But I'm looking for an all in one synth, not 50 different emulations.

Faiky wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:12 pm Does pigment really have a good analog simulation? Should it sound like real hardware, with which hardware are the filters comparable? Is pitch drift emulated, how high is the upsampling? Are Juno and Moog sounds possible? Modular i'm fully served. But i'm still looking for a good hardware emulation with many possibilities. I have DIVA in sight, but maybe other VA can convince as well. But I'm looking for an all in one synth, not 50 different emulations.
By your description, I think you really should try XILS PolyKB 3.5 (or Syn'x)

Q-Bass wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:48 am Hello, can anybody elaborate more on the CPU usage of Pigments 2
I don't have have Pig1 just demoing Pig2 and I think that CPU hit is quite high for my taste. For example: just two sources monopohonic sample playback with no filter and no FX is about 3%. In opposite of Rapid which take only 0,4% of CPU. I have very old Lynnfiled i7 so CPU matters for me.

boriskarloff wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:37 pm
Q-Bass wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:48 am Hello, can anybody elaborate more on the CPU usage of Pigments 2
I don't have have Pig1 just demoing Pig2 and I think that CPU hit is quite high for my taste. For example: just two sources monopohonic sample playback with no filter and no FX is about 3%. In opposite of Rapid which take only 0,4% of CPU. I have very old Lynnfiled i7 so CPU matters for me.
Which daw do you use? Because, if i bridge the plugin, the cpu usage in the daw is going down by a couple %

exmatproton wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:47 pm
Which daw do you use? Because, if i bridge the plugin, the cpu usage in the daw is going down by a couple %
I am working in Digital Performer 9.5.

exmatproton wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:47 pm
I can elaborate this much: Pig2 less than 40 % in any preset. Which is not low, but heaven, compared e.g. to Korg Odyssey’s up to 200 %.
Win 10, 64 bit, i7, Ram 16 GB, Live 9 64 bit.

machinesworking wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:43 am I give U-He mass credit for not doing specific emulations, saves them the scrutiny and failed expectations.
Huh?

RePro-1? RePro-5? Not only are those specific emulations there were no failed expectations around the accuracy. In fact, when I'd see comparison videos to the originals I was MORE impressed.

Harry_HH wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:52 am Some questions concerning the sample playing of the Pigments 2:
3. Is there Time machine -type of mode available, like in Kontakt, where you play different sample pitches without affecting the sample playing speed?
Unfortunately not. I really wish there was a feature like this.

oleg1978 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:54 pm
Harry_HH wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:52 am Some questions concerning the sample playing of the Pigments 2:
3. Is there Time machine -type of mode available, like in Kontakt, where you play different sample pitches without affecting the sample playing speed?
Not exactly the same, but you can achieve something similar with granular mode and then modulating sample position. This way you can have different pitches at the same rate as slow or fast as you want, forward, backwards or any direction you can think of.

I'm on Win7 with Reaper x64. I'm quite disappointed with CPU pigments 2 takes. Sometimes it's higher than Avenger. I'm using a lot of samples and I love pigments granular possibilities but for the CPU it takes I will maybe resist the €69 offer...

Fernando Carvalho wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:05 pm
oleg1978 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:54 pm
Not exactly the same, but you can achieve something similar with granular mode and then modulating sample position. This way you can have different pitches at the same rate as slow or fast as you want, forward, backwards or any direction you can think of.
Sounds complicated. My philosopy in tweaking synths is KISS (keep it simple, stupid), the last letter referring to myself.
I rather concentrate on music and producing, less on reading synth manuals. What is not intuitively doable in 5 minutes, is too sophisticated for me. :clown:

Does your wife know that?

(I guess she does...)

Return to “Instruments”