Arturia Pigments 2 (Free Update): Now it's Granular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

I was only half joking. You can already see that happening in places. Drag and drop producing just isn’t very inspiring. To me at least.

machinesworking wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:04 am I don't really see the point or the comparison between Massive X and Pigments? People buy and use multiple synths because they all have strong and weak points. Massive v1 was lauded when it came out, I thought it sounded pretty good, but I never got the buzz. I mean so did and do a lot of other synths? never felt the need to go online and dis on it though.
Boggles the mind. Why would anyone want synths with different strengths and weaknesses? :o

Just interesting - it is possible to make stereo spread in Pigments without using unison section ?
I mean - thru modulate "Voice Pan" knob.

Task is simple - each new voice will has his own random position in panorama (and important that this taken position will not change during voice sounding - ie usual lfo will not suited here).

Just, i remember, in Strobe this task could solve simple - thru assign "Alt1+-" modulator to Pan in Amp section.
But in Pigment my attempts are unsuccessful yet: or the panorama changes in time, or all voices placed in the same pan position.

Any ideas?
(I have a feeling that it’s somehow not difficult to do here, but something I'm dumb a bit)

c_voltage wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:30 am
Any ideas?
(I have a feeling that it’s somehow not difficult to do here, but something I'm dumb a bit)
I haven't had a chance to check this, but I think you can achieve what you want by using a Random modulator set to S&H with Trigger set to Poly Keyboard, and choosing a Source that suits your purpose eg - White Noise or Random. Hope this helps.
"Its my firm belief that its a mistake to hold firm beliefs"
https://soundcloud.com/biomechanoid

biomechanoid wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:10 am
c_voltage wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:30 am
Any ideas?
I haven't had a chance to check this, but I think you can achieve what you want by using a Random modulator set to S&H with Trigger set to Poly Keyboard, and choosing a Source that suits your purpose eg - White Noise or Random. Hope this helps.
OMG yes ! It's works. Thank you. :oops:

UPD Just, frankly, sometimes i find such method a bit more "musical" than default solutions.
Although i do not want to say that unison not interesting here (I also found a certain character in it, but rather for other needs), but it rather a matter of taste\genre.

c_voltage wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:33 am
OMG yes ! It's works. Thank you. :oops:
No problem 8)
"Its my firm belief that its a mistake to hold firm beliefs"
https://soundcloud.com/biomechanoid

Comparing Pigments 2 with my other granular synth (Alchemy on Logic Pro), it’s a no-brainer. Pigments is much more straightforward and easier to work with for granular synthesis, and more flexible. I see it filling a certain niche I don’t get with my other plugins (ZebraHZ and even Alchemy). But they all have their strong points and complement each other.

ZebraHZ for all the “standard” stuff and it’s my go-to for sound design; Alchemy for choosing among a billion presets and the glorious morph pad; and now Pigments for when I want to get experimental.

I made a nice pluck sound from an old recording of me playing a didgeridoo and a pad sound from a frame drum. Lots of fun. Will I use any of this in tracks? Who knows.

VPS Avenger Vs this doesn't seem like that large of a difference, except maybe the different routing. Thoughts?

rageix wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:09 am VPS Avenger Vs this doesn't seem like that large of a difference, except maybe the different routing. Thoughts?

Eh, wouldn’t go that far.
VPS avenger still does plenty Pigments can’t.
5 more oscillators. Additive Synthesis, more advanced FM synthesis (Pigments has FM but it’s not very deep at all) A Drum Sequencer, plenty more envelopes and LFOS and all that Jazz.

But more powerful doesn't mean better.
Pigments is so easy to work with and fluid and stable. It’s fun, it’s powerful, and it’s got a bright future.

I think the best current product to compare to Pigments is a weird Crossover between Serum and Ana2, and the dumped in a Rainbow.
Meanwhile looking at somthing like Falcon or, synthmaster2 when talking about Avenger like products.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Sorry I think I posted in the wrong thread. I meant my comment for the Falcon 2 thread as there are obvious parallels between the two (Falcon and Avenger).

Re the Mod Quantize function: Is there a way to deselect C? Let's say I want the random to apply only to F and G how do I set this up so that C doesn't sound also?

I'm buying Pigments for this feature alone so I do hope I can get it working the way I envisage.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:21 pm Re the Mod Quantize function: Is there a way to deselect C? Let's say I want the random to apply only to F and G how do I set this up so that C doesn't sound also?

I'm buying Pigments for this feature alone so I do hope I can get it working the way I envisage.
Mod quantizer is relative, not absolute,global, you can apply a knob transpose. Or, if you select, eg, C ang E, if you play a F, the result will be F,A.
Best
YY

Whywhy wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:53 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:21 pm Re the Mod Quantize function: Is there a way to deselect C? Let's say I want the random to apply only to F and G how do I set this up so that C doesn't sound also?

Mod quantizer is relative, not absolute,global, you can apply a knob transpose. Or, if you select, eg, C ang E, if you play a F, the result will be F,A.
Ah ok, that's what I thought. However when sharps become involved my brain starts melting. Specifically I'm referring to what happens when you transpose through E & F where there are no sharps, surely it goes out of whack?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

rageix wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:13 am Sorry I think I posted in the wrong thread. I meant my comment for the Falcon 2 thread as there are obvious parallels between the two (Falcon and Avenger).
Well, you can build Avenger inside Falcon. The other way around, not so much.

From my perspective, Avenger is too complex (and a resource hog) for basic things but then is often frustrating to use for really complex things. So having Diva, Zebra, Hive and Falcon I just use Avenger as a rompler for pianos, plucks and guitars.

Pigments looks interesting but still not sure I really need it.

I thought you can have 6 layers? I see only 2? Elements. How can i add the other 4? Thx
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Return to “Instruments”