I love my Cubase 10

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
simmo75
KVRAF
1740 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Post Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:16 am

Hi guys, got a problem where I emptied the blacklisted plugins and now Cubase 10 crashes on start up, every time. There seems to be no way to get it to start up.
Anyone here know how fix it?
Thanks in advance.

User avatar
martinjuenke
KVRAF
4252 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Hanover, Germany

Re: I love my Cubase 10

Post Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:18 am

Harry_HH wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:20 am
martinjuenke wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:14 am
You love Cubase 10, I love my wife.
I love your wife, too. :D
Dirty Harry :lol:

User avatar
dionenoid
KVRian
545 posts since 3 Jan, 2019 from Holland

Re: I love my Cubase 10

Post Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:06 pm

simmo75 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:16 am
Hi guys, got a problem where I emptied the blacklisted plugins and now Cubase 10 crashes on start up, every time. There seems to be no way to get it to start up.
Anyone here know how fix it?
Thanks in advance.
One by one move the blacklisted plug-ins (that you put back before) to another folder (outside your normal vst folders). Try starting up after each moved plug-in. When Cubase starts up again you know what plug-in gives you the problem.

Or in reverse order : move all those blacklisted plug-ins. See if Cubase starts. Then move plug-ins back one by one...
More BPM please

simmo75
KVRAF
1740 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Re: I love my Cubase 10

Post Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:56 pm

dionenoid wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:06 pm
simmo75 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:16 am
Hi guys, got a problem where I emptied the blacklisted plugins and now Cubase 10 crashes on start up, every time. There seems to be no way to get it to start up.
Anyone here know how fix it?
Thanks in advance.
One by one move the blacklisted plug-ins (that you put back before) to another folder (outside your normal vst folders). Try starting up after each moved plug-in. When Cubase starts up again you know what plug-in gives you the problem.

Or in reverse order : move all those blacklisted plug-ins. See if Cubase starts. Then move plug-ins back one by one...
Oh wow, I’m not even sure what plugins were in there... seems like a ball ache. Maybe I should just reinstall it?

User avatar
dionenoid
KVRian
545 posts since 3 Jan, 2019 from Holland

Re: I love my Cubase 10

Post Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:33 pm

What does the crash report say ? If you get one that is...usually it points to a plug-in or process that's causing it.
More BPM please

User avatar
telecharge
KVRist
450 posts since 22 Feb, 2014

Re: I love my Cubase 10

Post Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:04 pm

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:33 am
I can totally get where Spectralayers could come in handy for post-production or restoration. In fact, it seems like a critical tool in those applications. But I honestly can't think of a whole lot of musical contexts where I'd benefit from it. They could do a better job demonstrating it in musical contexts I guess.
This is a couple of years old, but this article with audio examples from Magix does a pretty good job of explaining how spectral casting/spectral molding can be used for mixing and sound design. From a mixing perspective, it could potentially be more powerful/interesting/useful than side-chaining or dynamic EQing -- albeit, with a more involved process.

I got SpectraLayers Pro 4 a while back as part of a Samplitude Pro suite, so the upgrade price for v6 is spendy by comparison. For those who do a lot of audio editing and sound design, it might be a good value. But this post on the Cakewalk forum isn't very encouraging to me.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
9305 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: I love my Cubase 10

Post Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:32 pm

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:33 am
So far, the Spectralayers videos seem very heavy on the "look! It's a Photoshop for DAWs! With image editing tools!" And very light on practical, musical, audio examples.

I can totally get where Spectralayers could come in handy for post-production or restoration. In fact, it seems like a critical tool in those applications. But I honestly can't think of a whole lot of musical contexts where I'd benefit from it. They could do a better job demonstrating it in musical contexts I guess.
It's basically what iZotope's Iris does so you can check that out if you want to see some musical applications of the technology.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), UR44C, Cubase, DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Hive, Substance, Arcsyn, Aparillo, Phase Plant, Pigments, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2.

xbitz
KVRAF
2592 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Re: I love my Cubase 10

Post Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:03 pm

^^^ has not tried Isis(spectral synthesis) yet ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEy-dlp7lLo
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

rmacattack
KVRist
41 posts since 20 May, 2019

Re: I love my Cubase 10

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:30 pm

BONES wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:48 pm
rmacattack wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:28 pm
Cubase is a great old school DAW.
"Old school" as opposed to what?
It's not really used among the new generational producers/engineers. Since finishing up audio school it's primarily pro tools/logic and we have Ableton. Then on the outside my classmates us Ableton, Fl and Logic. Studio One, Reaper, Cubase and Sonar were never talked about in that circle.

User avatar
sqigls
KVRAF
4081 posts since 25 Dec, 2004 from Melbourne, Australia

Re: I love my Cubase 10

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:52 pm

v10 uses a shit ton more CPU than v9.5

beatmangler443
KVRist
410 posts since 11 Jun, 2013

Re: I love my Cubase 10

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:46 pm

Cubase is very very cpu intensive.
Last edited by beatmangler443 on Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
telecode
KVRAF
1521 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: I love my Cubase 10

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:52 pm

sqigls wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:52 pm
v10 uses a shit ton more CPU than v9.5
I didn't find that on my setup. The exact same projects from 9.5.x use less CPU on 10.5.x

Perhaps it's the 3rd party plugins or vst you are using.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
9305 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: I love my Cubase 10

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:38 pm

CPU usage is noticeably higher in Cubase 10 than Orion - a song that runs at around 18% in Orion uses around 25% in Cubase - but that's about as CPU intensive as anything gets so it is a complete non-issue for us. The difference could also be that between Wasp in Orion and having to use ArcSyn in Cubase for the same part, plus using a guitar VSTi that's not in the Orion version. Another song that's pretty much the same in each is 22% v 25%, which is even less worth worrying about.
rmacattack wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:30 pm
It's not really used among the new generational producers/engineers. Since finishing up audio school it's primarily pro tools/logic and we have Ableton. Then on the outside my classmates us Ableton, Fl and Logic. Studio One, Reaper, Cubase and Sonar were never talked about in that circle.
Of course not, they don't have the experience to realise there is a whole world of goodness beyond what they learned at art college. Given time and experience, they will learn and grow.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), UR44C, Cubase, DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Hive, Substance, Arcsyn, Aparillo, Phase Plant, Pigments, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2.

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
3313 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Re: I love my Cubase 10

Post Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:18 am

I own 10.5 Pro, but I can't really make myself use it.

For some reason I dislike the piano roll (MIDI event editor or whatever it's called...). For one, it's dark and depressing. Then the horizontal spacing makes it look like I'm always putting notes somewhere between the keys, not ON them. Lastly, simple editing like moving the notes, extending them, resizing seems very imprecise and happens with slight delay. Perhaps I need to practice more, but even Reason's quite outdated piano roll seems more convenient for basic operations, especially after updates in 10.2 and 11.0.
Bitwig 3.1 // Reason 11.1 // Studio One 4.6 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604
other stuff - Psytrance in Bitwig Studio tutorial

User avatar
telecode
KVRAF
1521 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: I love my Cubase 10

Post Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:57 am

antic604 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:18 am
I own 10.5 Pro, but I can't really make myself use it.

For some reason I dislike the piano roll (MIDI event editor or whatever it's called...). For one, it's dark and depressing. Then the horizontal spacing makes it look like I'm always putting notes somewhere between the keys, not ON them. Lastly, simple editing like moving the notes, extending them, resizing seems very imprecise and happens with slight delay. Perhaps I need to practice more, but even Reason's quite outdated piano roll seems more convenient for basic operations, especially after updates in 10.2 and 11.0.
Before I started using C10 I was only used to working with midi on Maschine. It took a little getting used to but now I totally dig the Cubase one. The keyboard shortcuts and ability to move in increments is very useful. Also, I think you can change that display. I see on the Cubase Greg Ondo videos he has a a white background setup.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”