Female-fronted Pop / Rock / Musical

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

I'd like to introduce you to a few of the female-fronted songs I have composed, arranged and/or produced over the years. During 2019, all of them were released under a project name on SoundCloud.
While the 2013 demo was mixed using Samplitude Pro X, the other three songs (or excerpts) were restored using Samplitude tools and (mostly) UAD plug-ins. The 1996 song entry for a stage musical contest was originally produced using an Atari Falcon (!) and an analogue mixing desk. Well, back then, the audio recording and production possibilities were light years away from what they are now - especially for home producers.

Hope you enjoy listening to the tracks as much as I do. :wink:

https://soundcloud.com/satcj/sets/stuarts-selection
Last edited by Skorpius on Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Very good mixing, the 1st one especially. Liked the arrangement in the 2nd one (Song of sidewalk).
Although the 2nd one didn't have much low end.

Well mixed and produced. Sounds like late 70s, early 80s rock to me.

Bansaw wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:24 pm Very good mixing, the 1st one especially. Liked the arrangement in the 2nd one (Song of sidewalk).
Although the 2nd one didn't have much low end.
Thank you, Bansaw. The 1st song was originally recorded in a professional studio on a 16 or 24 track tape machine (I can't remember) and then mixed on a pro console. The 2nd song was basically a home recording, produced with limited technical equipment.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:38 pm Well mixed and produced. Sounds like late 70s, early 80s rock to me.
Thank you, thecontrolcentre. Well, the 70s and 80s are my musical roots, and I've given up trying to escape them. :)

Bansaw wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:24 pm Liked the arrangement in the 2nd one (Song of sidewalk). Although the 2nd one didn't have much low end.
I replaced the previous "Dominas" mix with a new one. There should be sufficient low end now.

You totally have that Cher Turn Back Time formula down to pat.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

The performance of the individual tracks is done brilliantly. Sounds like very polished subtle 80's pop/rock with a very good female vocalist. The quality is excellent, considering this was made on late 90's equipment.

When silence reigns is my favorite! I'm pretty much stuck in the late 80's early 90's, so it's an instant like :D

Best,
Adi/Thedeadsoul

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:25 pm You totally have that Cher Turn Back Time formula down to pat.
Thank you, VariKusBrainz. Actually, I'm not quite sure whether you're referring to the unmistakable chart quality of "Turn Back Time" or whether you're indicating that I'm "turning back the time" by presenting songs that don't sound what "modern music" is supposed to sound like.

If the latter is the case, I'd like to point out that there have always been artists releasing music that supposedly was "outdated" at the time of release. Think of Amy Whinehouse, who released 60s soul music some 40 years later. Or the Scissor Sisters, who successfully released "I Don't Feel Like Dancin" in 2006, even though the song was plain 70s disco music. Also, I remember Jim Steinman (composer of Meat Loaf's "Bat Out Of Hell") stating in an interview that this album could have been released at any other time than it actually was released - it would never have fitted with any current music trend.

A good current example is Greta van Fleet - young guys in their early twenties making (Led Zeppelin) music from nearly 50 years ago - and they're very successful with it.

In a nutshell: I don't think music can be outdated - it's either catchy, extraordinary, appealing or technically demanding - or it is not. 8)

EatMe wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:19 pm The performance of the individual tracks is done brilliantly. Sounds like very polished subtle 80's pop/rock with a very good female vocalist. The quality is excellent, considering this was made on late 90's equipment.
Thank you so much, EatMe. I'm flattered. This is just the kind of assurance I need to keep myself going. :)
Last edited by Skorpius on Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

thedeadsoul wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:08 am When silence reigns is my favorite! I'm pretty much stuck in the late 80's early 90's, so it's an instant like :D

Best,
Adi/Thedeadsoul
Thanks a lot, Adi. :party: There's only a short excerpt of the song on SoundCloud - so you might be interested to hear that I'm in the middle of re-recording and re-producing this very song, hopefully for release in the first half of this year.

Cool. Feels quite "Roxette" to me... and I like Roxette. :tu:

I hear some JV or Sound Canvas. Am I right? I’m also stuck in the 70’s-90’s musically.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

an-electric-heart wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:23 am Cool. Feels quite "Roxette" to me... and I like Roxette. :tu:
Thanks a lot, an-electric-heart. This is definitely an interesting comparison I wouldn't have considered before. :)

Return to “Music Cafe”