Opinions on MassiveX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive Massive X Zebra

Stefken wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:10 pm What I meant was that everything aside from mx, is made in reaktor or kontakt. That is their comfort zone.
Going out of that comfort zone and effectively coding a vst, was not so succesfull.
Unless one calls postponing a project twice and then releasing it halfbaked, a demonstration of good project management.
Yes, I agree.

As far as I know, Massive X was not developed directly by NI, but mainly by Maik Daliot (Reaktor) and later offered to NI for further development and distribution.
Maybe this is the only chance for a new Absynth X: Brian Clevinger makes a prototype in Reaktor for Absynth X and goes to NI :D

I think others are more innovative now. The really interesting plugins come from Arturia, U-He and so on. Probably that's one of the reasons for the layoffs or that NI just doesn't make enough sales.

Massive X? It doesn't really bring much new with a GUI that still lacks many features that other plugins have like visual feedback of the modulation or a display of the values.
The routing is interesting but I suspect that many people won't use it because it's too complicated or they don't find a usage for it.
Who has the old Massive doesn't need the Massive X so much and who buys something new will probably be happier with the "industry standard" Serum, Rapid, Pigments etc..

4damind wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:04 pm
Stefken wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:31 pm Yes, their DSP is certainly good but everything is kontakt or reaktor based. Reaktor is a graphical environment with less coding requirements
Partially correct. Massive X was prototyped in Reaktor but then implemented in C++. The Reactor department also seems to be one of the departments at NI that wasn't affected by the layoffs in the HQ.
Nice. If they’d just kept on making geeky, niche synths they would’ve been fine in the first place. Not as big, but fine. Good to know Reaktor isn’t being abandoned!

Well, having demoed all the MX competitors mentioned in this list, I still think it sounds the best. And that is why I went with it. Maybe I will revisit Pigments, as I’m looking for a good granular synth.

Not only sounds the best imo, it looks the best as well, despite all its flaws.

I have demoed Pigments 2. It's a wonderful synth. If I didn't have MX, I would have bought it (for the intro price).

Can't say it's better (sonically) than MX or MX is better. They seem on the same level but different. Making sounds however, is easier in Pigments due to the visual feedback and overall design (but all synths these days are better than MX in visual feedback :hihi: ). Anyway, maybe the macros limitation in MX is after all is a good fit for my knobs in nektar P4! Anyway, I have ordered Komplete Kontrol M32 (replacing my nektar LX25+) especially for integration with NI products, so I hope it compliments Mikro maschine in maschine 2 :)

EnGee wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:26 pm I have demoed Pigments 2. It's a wonderful synth. If I didn't have MX, I would have bought it (for the intro price).

Can't say it's better (sonically) than MX or MX is better. They seem on the same level but different. Making sounds however, is easier in Pigments due to the visual feedback and overall design (but all synths these days are better than MX in visual feedback :hihi: ). Anyway, maybe the macros limitation in MX is after all is a good fit for my knobs in nektar P4! Anyway, I have ordered Komplete Kontrol M32 (replacing my nektar LX25+) especially for integration with NI products, so I hope it compliments Mikro maschine in maschine 2 :)
Well, I have until sometime in January to purchase P2 for $69, so I’ll see.

I’m not one to criticize someone’s experience with a UI, but personally I don’t find the MX UI to be that bad. None of my virtual synth UIs are perfect, they are all flawed, some more some less, the more complex the synth, the more flaws.

No! MX is not bad at all! It was bad though with those static envelopes :lol: Anyway, with all enhancements MX worth it now (for the discounted price, the same applied for Pigments 2). I wouldn't buy any of them for $199! Especially I'm overweight now with synths! :hihi:

Pigments for $69 definitely worth it. It is maybe from the best synths I have tried from Arturia. Nice modern design (not those gigantic weird GUI) with low CPU usage. I don't know however how committed Arturia for fixing bugs ... etc in the future. Anyway, for the few minutes I demoed it, it was really stable (but I have faith in NI more when it comes to coding and fixing bugs).

EnGee wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:37 pm I don't know however how committed Arturia for fixing bugs ... etc in the future.
I'd say that Arturia delivers pretty solid synths in the first place and does follow up to improve them.

Look at Pigments 2. It's a free update for Pigments 1 owners. That's a solid free update in my book.

Yes you might be right. They seem to have different strategy than before several years.

woohoo! massive x 1.2 out today:

comes with an extra 100 diverse, expertly-designed presets ranging from basses and leads, to FX, pads, and plucks. It also contains new features and bug fixes including a lightguide for Performer Mode for our KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series keyboards, and drag and drop preset loading.

Massive X 1.2 released. Just got an email stating new updates and 100 new presets.

So cool, could you please provide a link? I found nothing, even in NI forums

And it got dressed with a cool new black and pink skin! :party:

Sinisterbr wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:03 pm So cool, could you please provide a link? I found nothing, even in NI forums
it's in your native access ...

experimental.crow wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:15 pm
Sinisterbr wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:03 pm So cool, could you please provide a link? I found nothing, even in NI forums
it's in your native access ...
Oh, I see. I still don't own MX (neither have it installed), but would like to see the 1.2 change log. Apparently it's still not out.

Return to “Instruments”