Why is iLok license manager so SH!T ???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sureno wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:47 pm when you say account do you mean sound toys account or ilk account, if its in the sound toys account you should have a serial number that you enter into ilk then it downloads the license to where you desire. to add the serial its a button with 3x dots in the top right of the ilk app

EDIT: also go to your account on sound toys and go to

My Account>
View All Individually Licensed Product Installers>
then look at the ilk name its registered too and cross reference it to the ilk sign in on the app

then you may have to click the license if you see it and activate it (right click) to where you want eg dongle or disk
LeVzi wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:42 pm
rasmusklump wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:08 pm Must be very complicated to drag a license from one place to another with the mouse...

I wish all my plugins were on iLok...
Drag from where to where, smartarse? It's not showing in the manager at all, yet its In the account
That's an activation serial, I only have a plugin serial in my soundtoys account.

Turns out I have multiple iLok accounts on the same email, how is that even possible, and iLok are asking me $25 per license to transfer them to my own account. In the same email. Lol

a) how did I manage to create multiple accounts using the same email? No other company would allow this

b) then to transfer the licenses they are asking 25 dollars, yet the different licenses are all showing in the manager, so it's either an error on their part, or their software is right and their website is wrong.

I've contacted soundtoys to find out what's gone wrong their end too as I have 2 of their plugins, yet only one is showing.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

It's just awful. eLicenser is much better although I hate dongles in general.

Ahhh iLok...

More polarising than Marmite...

I got fed up with all of the iLok BS,so now I live in an iLok free world and it's all good...

There are other pathways that you can take :)
No auto tune...

I had the most unpleasant experience recently with licensing Vengeance/keilworth Avenger with the new Codemeter by Wibu system. First, no manual, need to find an arcane forum or private Fecebook post to get some semblance of where to start.

Had to download and install Codemeter app, okay, that is reasonable. Had to authenticate and generate and download a license file from the Avenger site to give to the Codemeter app to verify which then generated a response file which I had to upload to the Avenger site for more verification. Fine. I guess.

I'm a techie person so this was doable but woe be unto the average user. Especially when there weren't explicit instructions and the app terminology is 100% Wibuspeak jargon. And you can't buy the dongle by itself!

If you're going to implement a third-party DRM system please use iLok. Vendor deposits a license into your account, you log into the app with your account details and activate it, the end. You can move licenses around with a few clicks. Every other system is a song and dance and 529 college fund.

yellowmix wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:41 am Every other system is a song and dance and 529 college fund.
This is not true...
No auto tune...

Don't disparage my love for iLok!

edited
Last edited by Ben H on Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

LeVzi wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:33 pm a) how did I manage to create multiple accounts using the same email? No other company would allow this
Have you changed network adaptors, or other hardware that ilok
manager could mistake for a second computer?

Or made purchases/registration from different computer?

Maybe that would explain how a second account was established.
A korg user reported he had network MAC set to randomize
it's address, but Korg, which ID'd the reg based on the address,
wanted a new registration for every boot. :dog:
Hang a pirate, if you get the chance :party: :evil: :party:
All this extra security crapola is on them!

The advice given when setting up an OS change,
or different computer, is usually to unauthorize all
ilok products first, make the big change, then re-authorize
in the new setup. Maybe you could authorize them all to one account,
once they were unauthorized?
Good luck! :hyper:

yellowmix wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:41 am I had the most unpleasant experience recently with licensing Vengeance/keilworth Avenger with the new Codemeter by Wibu system.
Crap, completely forgot that Vengeance went Wibu. That is annoyance on a completely different level. The ghost of licensing past. :dog:
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

digitalboytn wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:51 am This is not true...
Tell us what third party DRM system for audio plugins is better in convenience (one-click machine-optional, cloud-optional, dongle-optional activation) and long-term and ease of availability for both developers and customers. Wibu/Codemeter/Ignition isn't, eLicenser isn't, Sentinel isn't.

I've been lucky and never had problems with Ilok. It can be practicle on a usb key to move from computer to computer but reality is it can also be an extra step that can possibly be go wrong in using your plugins.

For that reason I avoid it for all my 'serious' plugins, and use it mostly for freebies or some plugins that can be easily replaced by an alternative already installed.

Same for IK and Waves, I understand they want to protect their software but it's sad that the paying user is penalised for having to jump through extra hoops. Klanghelm, TDR, U-He, Melda, Hornet,etc. for less headache and top quality is my prefered way to go now.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

You've probably overlooked something. The obvious:
-sign in
-select under 'local' your actual ilok device first. there you'll see your license, right click, activate
-make sure you're not not just registering your product on the soundoys pages vs activating it
-soundtoys transfer the license the moment you activate it using serial number
-read the pdf instructions on activation for that product

I’ve just accepted Ilok as a nessecary annoyance.
If I wanted to cut out Ilok from my system I’d have to abandon Falcon AND slate VMR (the entire slate collection but specifically the VMR).
2 plugins that mean way to much to me for me to just stop using the ILOK. Especially Falcon...Man I love Falcon.

If Falcon (or rather UVI) and Slate ever went a different CPR then things are more interesting but they are an essential part of my workflow that I just don’t plan on abandoning.

Too be fair As we’ve seen with Vengeance this month, it’s not like the others are much better, in fact Ilok might be the best of its kind.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

as expected a user error. But the topic still says "shit".

I would love more companies would let me have more than one account for different purposes, Studios etc. with one mail account.

Well, at least software ilok seems to work, once it works.... For now :hihi: You never know with these intrusive driver based copy protections. I don't even now ask for Catalina compatibility.

I think it works for both the users and devs, but the management app and website indeed look like from the 90s. Also extremely high transfer fee.

In the end I prefer companies who understood that giving the paying, honest customer constant extra value over users of shitty cracked versions is the best way to go. Timebombs are good, too.

If your software turns into fort knox, you did something wrong, to your customers.

You need to run the ilok'ed plugin once, so then it will appear in the ilok manager software, where you usually can autorize by single click and internet connection. If this doesn't work, I think you also can enter some code...

Return to “Effects”