2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AnX wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:45 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:42 pm
AnX wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:41 pm I'm afraid I blew most of my spare cash on drugs and booze.... still, it means I don't have to keep rearranging the studio
Other than where you pissed in the corner because you were out of your head on drugs and booze... :hihi:
its called damping the acoustics :hihi:
I literally lol'd.

foosnark wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:08 pm So I kinda just bought myself a Soma Lyra-8 :wheee:
I'm so curious about this. The Lyra-4 would be more affordable for me and I'd prefer it but I can't find one anywhere. How do you like it so far? Do you think you'll get good use of it for a long time?

killmaster wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:15 pm
foosnark wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:08 pm So I kinda just bought myself a Soma Lyra-8 :wheee:
I'm so curious about this. The Lyra-4 would be more affordable for me and I'd prefer it but I can't find one anywhere. How do you like it so far? Do you think you'll get good use of it for a long time?
I recorded an album that features it, and it's been on all four of the Ambient Online compilation submissions I've sent in since I got it, and a couple other tracks I've recorded for the next album. It's my favorite synth to play, though it's definitely not a go-to synth for every purpose.

I can imagine playing this live somewhere with an open-minded audience, whereas I wouldn't drag my modular and computer anywhere live. And if I wanted to seriously get into a particular type of industrial drone techno it would be perfect for that, both to process drums and to make noise. I almost want to do a collaboration with the taiko group I used to perform with -- I've done remixes for them and they floated the idea of a live thing half-seriously once.

Probably I'll stick to what I'm doing, and it's suitable for that too. :D

Also, I feel like if I ever wanted to let it go, I'd have no trouble selling it for close to the value I paid, if not more.

As for the Lyra-4, I was looking for one too originally. After playing the 8 though, I think 8 oscillators/touchpads is the right number, giving enough flexibility for drones, chords, melody etc. With just 4 you'd have to get really good at tuning on the fly to do much other than drones.

foosnark wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:30 am
killmaster wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:15 pm
I recorded an album that features it, and it's been on all four of the Ambient Online compilation submissions I've sent in since I got it, and a couple other tracks I've recorded for the next album. It's my favorite synth to play, though it's definitely not a go-to synth for every purpose.

I can imagine playing this live somewhere with an open-minded audience, whereas I wouldn't drag my modular and computer anywhere live. And if I wanted to seriously get into a particular type of industrial drone techno it would be perfect for that, both to process drums and to make noise. I almost want to do a collaboration with the taiko group I used to perform with -- I've done remixes for them and they floated the idea of a live thing half-seriously once.

Probably I'll stick to what I'm doing, and it's suitable for that too. :D

Also, I feel like if I ever wanted to let it go, I'd have no trouble selling it for close to the value I paid, if not more.

As for the Lyra-4, I was looking for one too originally. After playing the 8 though, I think 8 oscillators/touchpads is the right number, giving enough flexibility for drones, chords, melody etc. With just 4 you'd have to get really good at tuning on the fly to do much other than drones.
Really some great stuff in that album! I appreciate the info and insights here! Very helpful. I've been wavering between this and the Shbobo Shnth from Ciat-Lonbarde...

Had the Polyend Medusa in my shopping cart at Thomann for £600 then some nice guy on another forum send me a link.. Juno UK are selling these at £499 so I grabbed one here:

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/polyend ... 697806-01/

Bargain me thinks

I got a 5% voucher I could use on a Behringer RD-8 - but all this cheap Behringer stuff left me broke, I can only hope Behringer starts cloning the clones as they run out of things to copy.

rob_lee wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:11 pm Had the Polyend Medusa in my shopping cart at Thomann for £600 then some nice guy on another forum send me a link.. Juno UK are selling these at £499 so I grabbed one here:

Bargain me thinks
juno is a great shop.
not just price wise, they usually have stock in of the bits i cant find elsewhere too 8)

rob_lee wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:11 pm Had the Polyend Medusa in my shopping cart at Thomann for £600 then some nice guy on another forum send me a link.. Juno UK are selling these at £499 so I grabbed one here:

Bargain me thinks
Wow. I paid £850 for mine last year ...

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:55 pm Bargain me thinks

Wow. I paid £850 for mine last year ...

Yep I think so Dave. Now I'm shopping for a good FX pedal.. maybe a Source Audio Collider.. :tu:

oops quoted wrong

So, the Paradox Arquitect: It's a twin, dark echo where each section has a mix knob and a modulation switch between medium and heavy -- no adjustable times and just a single knob per section for level/feedback. The "Reflector" has a fixed predelay, and then a few taps with a speed that's modulated. The "Diffuser" has a consistent rate between all the taps but a sort of chorusy diffusion on them. There's also a momentary stomp switch that expands the feedback on either the reflector or diffuser, but it doesn't build up to runaway feedback or last forever.

I find it works really nicely to pass a signal through then, then use the dry as mid and the wet as side. (And then use something that mono-izes the bass if necessary to keep phase coherence.) It adds some nice ambience -- so I see why they refer to the pedal as a "reverb" when it's really a delay, because its role is a really modulated, not very natural short reverb.

Time will tell if I keep it... it has a definite role that it plays well but it's pretty much a one-trick pony. I'm thinking about dark, modulated, oil-can-like delays and one of those might wind up taking over for it: Meet Maude, Adineko, Black Fountain or maybe Space Spiral...

Look what just arrived in the mail...

Got to work for a few more hours then I’m going to set it up!

Forgotten wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:24 pm Look what just arrived in the mail...

look forward to hearing some noodles :tu:

Took me a minute to realize, it's sitting on a piano bench. With the pedals in the background as reference, I was thinking "Damn, that's a big carton for such a compact device!"

Nice mine won't be here till Friday from Thomann.. also seen this :-)

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_wasp_deluxe.htm

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”