Alternatives to speakerphone?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:lol:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

My fav convo reverb is the RV7000 MkII included with reason interestingly.
TBH, I'm not overly interested in convo reverbs though.

pekbro wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:22 pm My fav convo reverb is the RV7000 MkII included with reason interestingly.
TBH, I'm not overly interested in convo reverbs though.
Me neither! To be fair, speakerphone DOES have reverbs included, but that's the least interesting feature it has in my opinion. I'm FAR more interested in their vinyl, radio, microphone, and amp cab impulses than I am it's reverb element. I've found a few "vintage radio" impulse responses, but it's less than 10. Speakerphone seems to be THE ONE, though I'm still hunting for anything I can find.

Use the demo to create impulses.
Simples
Amazon: why not use an alternative

bermudagold wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:48 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:42 am
bermudagold wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:39 am
Aloysius wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:55 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:49 am
Aloysius wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:47 am mcdsp futzbox
You only needed to read one post :wink:
thagreatbelow wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:29 am I have McDSP futzbox, but n comparison to speakerphone it's complete garbage.
A bad workman blames his tools. ;)
there is no getting around the difference in materials.....ask a good carpenter and a bad carpenter to build you a stool with the same set of tools, ....then give the bad carpenter mahogany and the good carpenter balsa wood....which stool you want to sit on?
Bad analogy - Conflating tools with materials :shrug:
I dont think so,...alyosius I believe was implying thagreatbelow didn't like futzbox because he wasn't skilled enough to get the desired results out of it....what I'm saying is the two different tools being used towards the same objective are using fundamentally different quality sources...
When quality of tools is fixed, an unskilled craftsmen using the highest quality materials can produce a result subjectively and/or objectively superior to a highly skilled craftsman working with low quality materials.

this notion that only unskilled craftsmen blame their tools for the outcome,ignores the third variable of the quality of source materials the tools are operating on
Some people say you cant put lipstick on a pig....engineers say GIGO (garbage in....garbage out)
I still ain't gonna sit on a balsa wood chair, regardless of the workman, or his choice of tools :shrug:

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:37 pm Use the demo to create impulses.
Simples
I’m not even above doing that, but they don’t have a demo :(

thagreatbelow wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:08 am
VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:37 pm Use the demo to create impulses.
Simples
I’m not even above doing that, but they don’t have a demo :(
The impulse library is not even close to enough to capture the things Speakerphone does. If you’re in a town with some big studios or a large music retailer, you can probably try it out on one of their systems.
Thinking about the capabilities of this thing, I’d recommend getting Chipcrusher for the digital ends of things, and then getting the Melda free bundle with the full unlocked plugins for the modulation, FM, AM and distortion bits. You can load your own impulses into Chipcrusher and be pretty close to many of the sounds that Speakerphone does, especially of you wanna get your hands dirty and make some impulses.

Personally, I use the non impulse based parts of Speakerphone far more than the actual speaker, space and cover sections. I’m usually just trying to make something sound old and quirky. So I would go with Chipcrusher and something like sonitex, or XLN retro color.

There are many ways to do this sort of thing, but Speakerphone just happens to make them very simple to accomplish.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Aloysius wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:04 pm
bermudagold wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:39 am....which stool you want to sit on?
I don't want to sit on anybody's stool. Not even my own. That's a bit too kinky for me.
But you did, so hope you have some glade to help with that!

Speakerphone is awesome. It's expensive, but they took the time, but then again, a good sense of eq is ok.

It's been what, a hundred years since they released it? You can make your own lofi.........

Actually Fog Convolver is the closest thing AudioThing has to Speakerphone and it can get really close with the right IRs
Spitfire31 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:18 am If you're going to build a chain, don't overlook AudioThing's Speaker, Megaphone and Reels. The Orb and Filterjam might also have a place. 30% off sale right now…

www.audiothing.net

Aloysius wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:04 pm
bermudagold wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:39 am....which stool you want to sit on?
I don't want to sit on anybody's stool. Not even my own. That's a bit too kinky for me.
:lol: Admittedly, I had to read this twice before I got it. :idea:

Hard to believe it is still so expensive, but also hard to believe there is still no real competition. The massive curated fine tuned package is worth some bucks I guess... I dont use convolution-y stuff much and Chipcrusher covered so much of what I really wanted that this price was crazy to me.
ImageImageImageImage

You are currently reading my signature.

Never heard of these guys.
I wonder if the current sale price is an actual sale or one of those fake permanent sale situations.

NoiseAsh seems a new player in the Plugin - World & I dont own any of their stuff except the #freebies; yet, I did hear pretty good things about their Pultec EQ - Adaptions. Some people seem to like those a lot. As for the #discounts... since its still Winter somehow, who knows. :wink:
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Return to “Effects”