Unimportant laughter (strings, flute, woodwind, whistler -> elegic minimal chamber music -> + synth version added)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is part of my new instrumental album with the same name.
Minimal, slow and only with sampled instruments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s8HUgQgGT8

Edit:
And here is the same track, slightly different... with synths:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJkpDqcRst0
Last edited by thomekk on Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

I like it.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

This is different! I can tell a lot of thought went into it.
The sort of long portato y/o detache instead of legato entirely is quite idiosyncratic, and I think I’m going to reserve judgement for now but I see it’s stylistic, probably quite deliberate.
Your use of reverb works for me.

CrystalWizard wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:53 pm I like it.
Merci
Symphony Nr.1

jancivil wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:39 pm This is different! I can tell a lot of thought went into it.
The sort of long portato y/o detache instead of legato entirely is quite idiosyncratic, and I think I’m going to reserve judgement for now but I see it’s stylistic, probably quite deliberate.
Your use of reverb works for me.
Thanks for the listening and your thoughts.
To be frank I'm still struggeling sometimes with the act of playing the music via keyboard and using the keyswitches (so many options to choose from), so in the end I don't care sometimes much when it works for me. So I guess it was a mixture of playing / pianorolling.
Symphony Nr.1

Because I use KS so frequently, I generally write those parts in piano roll. Some things use none or there is a flex legato to stick with for extended periods. It takes me two hands to do a competent keys player’s one hand so doing both doesn’t happen.

Yeah, I can understand your flow for KS using the Piano Roll. I guess that's the way for non keyboard players to get the most control over everything.
Still haven't found the optimal flow for me yet. Being no keyboarder I still like to "play" notes, but it's not that easy when there are libraries with several KS at several places. Layering is complicating this the more.
Sometimes it works better for me when using the MIDI-guitar for solo instruments. But therefore I have to use the ones with ideally no KS or I have to do homework after recording to kill wrong notes.
Symphony Nr.1

It’s the way keyboardists do it as well, serious editing and use of the tools say VSL has w. their interface, it’s pencil tool all day

I have weird techniques for certain things, have to be performed and idiosyncratic and LIVE

good track! i don't know if it would call it "minimalism" because it seems to have lots of pickups in orchestration (at 1.20 secs) and seems to evolve as a musical piece fairly fast for a 3 minute piece. isn't minimalism supposed to be a little more repetitive and less orchestration?
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Thanks, and yup - in the sense of minimal music (philip glass & co) you're right, I meant it probably more in a way of having only fewer notes here and not that much going on as eg. in fast baroque compositions. So it was just a term which came along.
Symphony Nr.1

jancivil wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:03 am It’s the way keyboardists do it as well, serious editing and use of the tools say VSL has w. their interface, it’s pencil tool all day
I did lots of penceling in lots of my tracks and it's great that there can be so many adjustments done this way. Often I use it to shorten / finetune notes and especially the velocities, which can make huge differences and do really for the better.
So the articulation lane came as a new challenge to me after the usage of synths (which are easier to handle given that they are velocitysensitive and have not the obligation to sound authentic in playing style).

Great are instruments like the Embertone Popelka Bassoon, where you can play quite good via the keys without keyswitching. Nevertheless I did this track with Vienna SE.
Symphony Nr.1

I just got a chance to listen to this at a decent volume. It sounds great here, and I like the dynamics coupled with the use of silence, which adds drama to the piece.

Good work :)

Hey,
thanks - I'm glad you liked it so far : )
Symphony Nr.1

To round this up,
here's another version with synths and glockenspiel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJkpDqcRst0
Symphony Nr.1

Return to “Music Cafe”