Why the lack of hardware/software integration (MOTU,Steinberg etc)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

1. Why no DAW's for PC or Mac for Korg, Roland etc? I know you got zenbeats and korg gadget, but a serious DAW? I don't take those serious. Roland could have done something with Cakewalk. I don't get it. You have the resources to do a mac version, you could have done a roland midi controller where you have access to all the roland cloud synths, mv 8800 drum kits (komplete kontrol style).
2. Why the lack of hardware software integration right now (MOTU, Steinberg, Cakewalk)? Native Instruments has it, and Presonus. But Steinberg I don't see pushing an ecosystem like those companies. Your backed by Yamaha. Same for Roland, Korg why no version like Komplete Kontrol.
3. Thoughts on Behringer doing a DAW? What about Izotope (spire studio?)? Or Steven Slate?

These companies are too big to get their communication going effectively... It would be doomed to fail.
And as (potential) customer I would prefer universal solutions and workflows anyway.
Ableton has it btw. We can be lucky, that their hardware is open enough to be able to adapt it to other DAWs like Bitwig as well...

It's not perfect, but I feel that akai/MPC has the best hard and soft combo going, if you want a stand alone device with a DAW on the side.

I agree, the major DAWs are seriously lagging from where they should be.

rmacattack wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:48 am 2. Why the lack of hardware software integration right now (MOTU, Steinberg, Cakewalk)? Native Instruments has it, and Presonus. But Steinberg I don't see pushing an ecosystem like those companies. Your backed by Yamaha.
What do you miss? I've played around with the Montage a while ago and the integration into Cubase was really good. It's smaller brother, the MoDX, should work equally well and the old Motif wasn't that bad either. Besides workstations and several audio interfaces of all sizes they also have a lot of control surfaces from small ones to huge desks in the portfolio. Additionally almost all 3rd party controllers come with a Cubase/Nuendo binding by default.

There is no dedicated performance controller for Cubase and Nuendo like Push or Atom. But performing artists are not the primary target audience of Steinberg anyway.

On the other hand there also seems to be some technology transfer back to Yamaha. The latest CVP 809 showed a lot of small hints in this direction, eg some unique features and graphics that Iook very familiar when you are a Steinberg product user.

Steinberg belongs to Yamaha group.
:wink:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

That was the point. rmacattack especially highlighted Steinberg and Yamaha so I was curious what he was missing.

Steinberg and Yamaha both make a lot of hardware and everything is integrated deeply into Cubase and/or Nuendo. In fact they have more hardware that is integrated into the DAWs than most other manufacturers.

I don't see any lack of hardware integration here. The hardware is geared towards recording artists and production engineers but so is their software.

a MCU has a deep integration with cubase. i have an old one. i can control the channel strip, all the VST/ VSTi plugins parameters. and mixing stuff of course... markers, loop, the functions keys for popping up an instrument window. the "zoom" thingy (my english) let's you navigate, and zoom... the jog wheel, that also scrubs..

because i also use automap, for plugins, and panorama p1 (the deep integration they promism ain't deep, but i still use the thing), so i can do a lot with hardware feel.

but a MCU, or behringer x-touch daw, for example, deep integration.

i have also ableton live 10 suite with the push 2, the visual feedback is nicer, that is a plus, and all the devices, and some are really visual, for example the wavetable, or eq (althoug it lacks Hz and Db(fs)), comprossor. a lot are not by the way. for third party plugins it is the same as a MCU...

the remote control editor you can use to make your own mapping for plugins.

the maschine mk3 + jam is a real treat.

but a MCU (or any other controller that implements mackie contol universal, with led or oled screens), i repeat, is quite good.

i agree, that a dedicated controller, could be usefull. but me thinks that they think a MCU is enough...

WasteLand wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:45 am i agree, that a dedicated controller, could be usefull. but me thinks that they think a MCU is enough...
Yeah this is the problem you get with some third party gear and various DAWs, and that's what I interpreted the OP's remarks to be referencing to.

For instance there are a ton of keyboards with pads, and a few knobs etc. that are set up as controllers in Cubase, Live, and Logic, but nothing else.

Personally what I don't get is why any DAW manufacture isn't taking a dozen or so hardware developers products and deeply integrating them? Looking at Möss and what he did for Push 2, not the friendliest piece of hardware to code for, but he managed to make Live Mode available for Reaper and Bitwig studio. Look at any of his videos for this to see how far someone on his own free time, can make this seem easy.

Why hardware developers and/or the DAW developers themselves don't spend the time to do this is beyond me?

Benutzername wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:58 am That was the point. rmacattack especially highlighted Steinberg and Yamaha so I was curious what he was missing.

Steinberg and Yamaha both make a lot of hardware and everything is integrated deeply into Cubase and/or Nuendo. In fact they have more hardware that is integrated into the DAWs than most other manufacturers.

I don't see any lack of hardware integration here. The hardware is geared towards recording artists and production engineers but so is their software.
Cubase should have a keyboard similar to komplete konrol where everything in the absolute collection is integrated and users can pull any preset from halionsonic, padshop pro. Komplete Kontrol has set the standard. Halion should be competing with Kontakt. You have groove agent, you should have a pad controller for that. Presonus is doing it, and Native Instruments is doing it. This is where the market is at. Are more cubase users buying komplete kontrol for integration with cubase or are they using a top selling yamaha keyboard that has it?

WasteLand wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:45 am a MCU has a deep integration with cubase. i have an old one. i can control the channel strip, all the VST/ VSTi plugins parameters. and mixing stuff of course... markers, loop, the functions keys for popping up an instrument window. the "zoom" thingy (my english) let's you navigate, and zoom... the jog wheel, that also scrubs..

because i also use automap, for plugins, and panorama p1 (the deep integration they promism ain't deep, but i still use the thing), so i can do a lot with hardware feel.

but a MCU, or behringer x-touch daw, for example, deep integration.

i have also ableton live 10 suite with the push 2, the visual feedback is nicer, that is a plus, and all the devices, and some are really visual, for example the wavetable, or eq (althoug it lacks Hz and Db(fs)), comprossor. a lot are not by the way. for third party plugins it is the same as a MCU...

the remote control editor you can use to make your own mapping for plugins.

the maschine mk3 + jam is a real treat.

but a MCU (or any other controller that implements mackie contol universal, with led or oled screens), i repeat, is quite good.

i agree, that a dedicated controller, could be usefull. but me thinks that they think a MCU is enough...
Only companies that are taking advantage of the hardware/software integration is Native, Presonus, and Ableton.

Steinberg and Yamaha made some big massive huge console thing, Nuage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS7bEtMPJr8

Except very few people can afford it.

They should make a smaller, more affordable version. You notice they don't even mention musicians and recording studios in the ad.

Schmidi wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:10 am
I agree, the major DAWs are seriously lagging from where they should be.
sans protools. since euphonix acquisition, the S series controllers are expensive but feel great

currentsound wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:07 am Steinberg and Yamaha made some big massive huge console thing, Nuage.

Except very few people can afford it.

They should make a smaller, more affordable version. You notice they don't even mention musicians and recording studios in the ad.
actually looks a lot like the avid S4.

i just suspect most musician/producer are viewed as a laptop thing.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”