Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Haven't been checking this thread for a while; did some linux geek *glances in glokraws direction* already test the new lincense thingumy in WINE?

No license testing has been done yet. I am a full time/long time Linux user, so will be availible to test that aspect when the time comes.

farlukar wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:10 pm Haven't been checking this thread for a while; did some linux geek *glances in glokraws direction* already test the new lincense thingumy in WINE?
I've been eating carrots today, and just barely noticed that fine print :hihi:

Captain Fathom is such a good coder, I doubt there will be any linux issues.
I read today that Korg is using network device MAC info to ID machines
for Legacy Collection registrations, a linux user had MAC set to randomize ,
so his machine demanded registration every time he launched
a Korg software :dog: (MAC??? (I'm turning into Sargent Schultz :( )

I have one product that I used the internet to purchase, using win 7,
installed it using win 7, and registered online using win 7,
but when using it's handy 'online activation' feature
(for those hopskotching among computers, studios, cities etc) it claims
there is no internet to be found :hihi: :dog: :ud: :dog:

You just can't make this stuff up! :hyper:

I finally got Kontakt running OK, thanks to the guys at Reaper linux forum,
and the wine dev team, but there's nothing like Fathom
coming out of Berlin 8) Fresh coastal lobster, and real maple Syrup
must be healthier brain food, than German beer and strudel :wink:
Cheers

glokraw wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:44 am
I read today that Korg is using network device MAC info to ID machines
for Legacy Collection registrations
, a linux user had MAC set to randomize ,
so his machine demanded registration every time he launched
a Korg software :dog: (MAC??? (I'm turning into Sargent Schultz :( )
Regarding the use of network device MAC as machine ID for software activation, I found out that Waves does the same thing!

If you have multiple network adapters, including virtual ones with a MAC address, there is no way to predict which one will be chosen for this use.

I found out the hard way when I removed a virtual network adapter from my machine. Afterwards my Waves plugins informed me that they were no longer registered. So I had to burn my Waves "once a year" license recovery to get them working again.

Waves does offer an alternative method which lets you move your licenses onto a USB flash drive instead. But that MAC address thing is just weird!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

glokraw wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:44 am I finally got Kontakt running OK, thanks to the guys at Reaper linux forum,
and the wine dev team, but there's nothing like Fathom
coming out of Berlin 8) Fresh coastal lobster, and real maple Syrup
must be healthier brain food, than German beer and strudel :wink:
Cheers
Where is Captain Fathom located? From your description, I would guess eastern Canada, or north-eastern US.

I must try to get Kontact running on my Linux box. How hard was it? No need to give advice in the Fathom forum, but I may contact you off list, if that is okay.

I'm located north of Philadelphia Pennsylvania east coast USA between Philadelphia and New York City. However, prior to starting Fathom I lived right in the middle of Hollywood, Los Angeles California for fifteen years, which is really where my heart is so I plan on moving back when I can.

I am open to creating a Linux version of Fathom though I was not sure yet how many people would actually use it which is why it was not yet a high priority. I do have VmWare running on my development machine so I could probably create a virtual Linux machine if necessary and the JUCE software framework I use could easily build a Linux version. I would need to get a feeling for how popular it would be.

The first priority after the Intel AVX release is an AAX version of Fathom for Pro Tools. Currently that is a slightly higher priority than a Linux release. I will be doing the AAX release immediately after the Intel AVX release provided I can get permission from Avid.

In regard to the Hardware ID subject, this is an important issue for Fathom since in the next release for Fathom Vector and Intel AVX parallel processing there will need to be a way to identify machines in a way which does not change.

The license itself will be a floating license which is actually tied to the user's email, so the email will be king for the license system. Users will be able to enable their license for as many machines as they want. However, there has to be some way to validate each machine in a way which does not change, otherwise any valid email license could be distributed which will defeat the purpose of the license.

With JUCE I have the ability to read just about any hardware characteristic from the machine. I will definitely not be using the MAC Address or anything from the Network card such as the IP Address, but it has to be something which is not being artificially or virtually created such as the actually machine name and number of processors. The actual info used will be a secret but it has to be static not dynamic.

It would be great if one of you which has a machine which is randomly generating such hardware info could sign up for the license beta testing, that way we can verify that the system works on such machines without upsetting anyone.

Incidentally since we are on the topic, if anyone knows if it is possible for a small company like Seaweed Audio to get approval from Avid for an AAX release, please post here with some info on what is involved.

FathomSynth wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:11 pm I'm located north of Philadelphia Pennsylvania east coast USA between Philadelphia and New York City. However, prior to starting Fathom I lived right in the middle of Hollywood, Los Angeles California for fifteen years, which is really where my heart is so I plan on moving back when I can.

I am open to creating a Linux version of Fathom though I was not sure yet how many people would actually use it which is why it was not yet a high priority. I do have VmWare running on my development machine so I could probably create a virtual Linux machine if necessary and the JUCE software framework I use could easily build a Linux version. I would need to get a feeling for how popular it would be.
Certainly less snow in Hollywood. More smoke though. :)

Even though I am a long time Linux user (since 1997), I would say a Linux version is very low priority. From my limited testing, Fathom works fine using linvst. The real question would be how it would work with the new licensing code, and whether Juce provides a consistent machine ID using WINE (which is what linvst uses).

:phones: Just Released!

Masters of Ambience

https://www.fathomsynth.com/banks

This international ambient bank was created by all three of our sound design teams. Solidtrax in the Netherlands, Scrubbing Monkeys in Brazil and Ambietica from the USA.

https://static.kvraudio.com/files/3302/cold_blooded.mp3

The demo is made 100% from the sound bank presets (except drums) and the sound bank includes the Ableton project file.

:x Is it really impossible to create a KVR review for a new
product that is not on some sacred internal list somewhere? :x

:help: :hihi:

Now that's off my chest, I :love: these new
Masters Of Ambience sounds. They have not succumbed to
NI-itus (detuning every soundwave with a pulse, and calling them
:roll: presets :roll: ) but rather, have made useful and interesting
sounds, many with rythmic content, that are full and inviting,
without going over-the-top. They bare some similarities
to existing Fathom sounds, yet are surprising as you play your way
through them. Some sounds have subtle high frequency things
as the sounds tail off, that holds interest an extra measure.

I also greatly enjoy the Wagsrfm 'Alien Technology' bank,
it's brimming with musical sounds that can help make songs.
I can't recall a soundset that is more fun, or better suited
to cross genres. Having listened to 210 presets
between the two banks, there is a shocking lack of
boring lifeless duds, and plenty of experienced sound design
to devolve and break down, should the muse be off
taking a nap somewhere.

2020 will be the greatest year to date, for producing music,
and Fathom is well placed and well equipped to be at the top.
Cheers

Thanks so much for the great review.

Which internal list are you talking about?

The latest bank is all totally new presets. None of them were adjustments of existing presets.

Now this is strange. I purchased and downloaded Masters Of Ambience last night and this morning I received a refund for my purchase. Any idea why? I really want to support the developers of the sound set so I will purchase it again if that is the right course of action. But I would like to know why a refund was issued.

Yes the refund was intentional. Putting the bank on the product page was my mistake on my part. I had just put it up on the web site yesterday and it was actually suppose to be free for a little while as a thank you to our community. But a few people bought it so quickly so I issued them all refunds.

Our sound designers created it as a gift to our users.

You can just buy another bank or buy it again when it changes to a normal bank in a couple months.

It's actually a very advanced bank so eventually it might go back for sale like all the other banks. I'm still planning this out with our sound designers, but I wanted to get it up on the website for download before the new year.

Sorry about that.

FathomSynth wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:12 pm Thanks so much for the great review.

Which internal list are you talking about?

The latest bank is all totally new presets. None of them were adjustments of existing presets.
Hi, I hope my wording 'bare some similarity' will be
taken as a compliment to the designers. Home runs,
touchdowns, and slam-dunks are what the market craves,
despite them all just being a ball getting from
point A to point B, in different scenarios.

When I go to kvr reviews page, the only place I can find
to begin a new review, presents a drop-down list of products.
If I type in a name not on the list, the enter key fails to
forward anything. Same result in firefox and chrome.
I hope it's not some ham-fisted protocol to inhibit
loons from reviewing french poodles and cat pics,
that ends up diminishing the timely entry of actual
news and commentary that might benefit the site users.

As Grandma used to say:

Their once was a dev who was honest
and now there are refunds upon us
the price wasn't high
for the sounds from the sky
so a thankyou to all
comes fraw muss

Cheers

FathomSynth wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:15 pm Yes the refund was intentional. Putting the bank on the product page was my mistake on my part. I had just put it up on the web site yesterday and it was actually suppose to be free for a little while as a thank you to our community. But a few people bought it so quickly so I issued them all refunds.

Our sound designers created it as a gift to our users.

You can just buy another bank or buy it again when it changes to a normal bank in a couple months.

It's actually a very advanced bank so eventually it might go back for sale like all the other banks. I'm still planning this out with our sound designers, but I wanted to get it up on the website for download before the new year.

Sorry about that.
No need to apologize. I would have paid good money for the sound set. I am glad for the gift!

Where can I find the specs for Fathom? I just want to make sure it works for my Mac.

Return to “Instruments”