New Mac Pro 2019

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just received the email announcing the new Mac Pro, for the fun of it I configured what I think would suit my needs and there was this interesting price tag. I'm still quite happy with my 2013 Mac Pro (ashtray model) which I leased for 3 years and finally bought in 2018 and my Macbook Pro from 2018 which is a little monster but sooner or later I'll have to buy into the next generation, the specs of the new machine look impressive.

Yep. My 2013 ashtray has hardly ever coughed & still going strong : )
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

I just read a new fully loaded Mac Pro was somewhere around €56,000! :lol:
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/mac-pro/tower#

Ok I nearly swore for the 1st time on kvr...£360 friggin quid for a metal frame with wheels, I gave up when I noticed a rig similar to my 12 month old build was already 3x the price before I got past the wheel options.
Fools n their money soon parted son! :P
Sheeet the monitors are over £5K alone....

MFXxx wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:22 pm Sheeet the monitors are over £5K alone....
you did notice the stand on the monitor is 'optional' (and another 900UKP)

$400 wheels. WTF???
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:20 am $400 wheels. WTF???
they have anti-lock brakes. read the fine print. jeez :hihi:

ians wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:28 pm Yep. My 2013 ashtray has hardly ever coughed & still going strong : )
my 2010 cheesegrater 3.33 12 core chokes all the time. routinely have to freeze tracks even on smaller projects. i'm surprised by what makes it max out when mixing in logic.

dayjob wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:02 am my 2010 cheesegrater 3.33 12 core chokes all the time. routinely have to freeze tracks even on smaller projects. i'm surprised by what makes it max out when mixing in logic.
No AVX on those old cpus - and avx is heavily used in most audio s/w nowdays

jdnz wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:41 am
dayjob wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:02 am my 2010 cheesegrater 3.33 12 core chokes all the time. routinely have to freeze tracks even on smaller projects. i'm surprised by what makes it max out when mixing in logic.
even starting to be required by some software... looking at you Massive X.

the ashtray models are coming down in price. certainly not going to pony up $6k-$10k for a mac pro. perhaps imac... so many used macs to choose from :scared:

dayjob wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:06 am
jdnz wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:41 am
even starting to be required by some software... looking at you Massive X.

the ashtray models are coming down in price. certainly not going to pony up $6k-$10k for a mac pro. perhaps imac... so many used macs to choose from :scared:
I’m leaning towards iMac too. With a Mac Mini refresh TBD and refurbished 2019 iMacs available, it’s hard to beat the value if you need the screen. I think I’m going to test drive one and make sure I can deal with a 5k resolution.

Have a look at the new 6-core i7 mac mini. Benchmarks spin circles around the old MacPro ashtray model for a small fraction of the price.

Plenty of really good, color-calibrated screens around too that are *not* from Apple

BerryLaCroix wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:16 amHave a look at the new 6-core i7 mac mini. Plenty of really good, color-calibrated screens around too that are *not* from Apple
I went that route, to choose an ergonomic wall-mounted screen with a ~130ppi density so UI are large enough.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

I was ready to buy one for my video stuff and started a configuration including the screen , but certain things are really hard to swallow.
Like $400 for the wheels , $999 for the monitor stand , $999 for extra matte screen ??!!

That's the price of a Macbook pro.

I mean wtf ?

I would love to boycott this if there were comparable durable, stable systems available.

BerryLaCroix wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:16 am Plenty of really good, color-calibrated screens around too that are *not* from Apple

Could you give some examples please ?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”