Time for new top spec DAW, UK company recommendations please?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just be careful when you order from Scan. I tried several times to spend about £15k with them this year and they fvcked up every order with either the wrong thing, sending me used items as new items, delivering late or not delivering at all. Pete (who frequents this place a lot) is a living legend, but the company seems to be a complete mess right now.

It's a shame, because there's nobody else out there with such a communicative and knowledgeable front man.

damn. tbh ive not used them for a long time. although, that was going to change new year with a new machine.
sad to hear it's not the same service they used to give.

Wow. That's bad news ... they were awesome a few years back.

If you want to brush up on the newer gear options and settings from an audio perspective, it might be worth having a look at Robin Vincent's recent video series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjyKVVR ... rX5vyVsC7O
Image Image Image Image

vurt wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:57 pm damn. tbh ive not used them for a long time. although, that was going to change new year with a new machine.
sad to hear it's not the same service they used to give.
thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:59 pm Wow. That's bad news ... they were awesome a few years back.
To clarify, one of the things I ordered was a pre-built gaming PC for my eldest, and when it did eventually turn up (a long, long time after estimate) it was the well made machine I expected it to be.

They did however get every single other thing I ordered wrong, or late, or B-stock, or just not available at all.

tehlord wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:07 pmTo clarify, one of the things I ordered was a pre-built gaming PC for my eldest, and when it did eventually turn up (a long, long time after estimate) it was the well made machine I expected it to be.
I've had similar experience. Their website's "3 day build" is just not currently viable - they seem over-stretched and it's causing them problems. There was only one real problem with my last build from them - but the previous machine with a similar spec a year ago had been perfect. (Someone put the dust mesh in the wrong place - took me a while to spot but I could hear it.) Product knowledge (i.e. answering "can I put this spec together?") has always needed one of their better contacts - it got left to the build team to spot my spec wasn't possible in this case (literally...). But it was exactly what I'd agreed by the time it was built and I'm really happy with it now. Would I use them again? I'd be wanting to hear more positive comments about specific experiences of build...

If you've experience putting a system together, things really aren't that different. Fast boot M.2 drive; big NVMe SSD for anything you need quickly; quiet HDDs for anything else; silent fans (that nowadays are really silent if you get the top specs). CPU, motherboard, case, PSU... same fun choosing those as ever.

Generally, comments about builds are here: viewforum.php?f=16

Same for me really. I wasn't that bothered if it was 3 days or not, but it ended up being weeks. The amount of time I had to spend altering, chasing or returning the other products I'd ordered was what lost me as a customer for good though. One item was a £700 RME interface, and they sent me an opened and damaged b-stock item by mistake. That kind of thing will kill customer confidence not only because it was sent, but also because I had to waste time returning it AND wait for a refund. I had also agreed a price on a large (several grand) order and only found out a lot of it wasn't in stock AFTER I paid. Eventually after chasing my contact there for a week I had to force a refund on some of it. And I do mean chase, several times.

Last straw was ordering two grands worth of monitor speakers a couple of months ago which I was promised were in stock and available for next day delivery. By the end of the day that I'd ordered (and paid), items still in pending/processing. I had to chase them again and guess what..."oh, er yeah. They should be dispatched today...I think".

Just crap.

event2020 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:20 pm I will be running Cubase 10 on Windows 10 64bit
I will want 64mb of very fast ram

3 very fast drives, one for system/programs, one for samples/VST Librarys and the other for project data.
Hoooyeah, that IS a real challenge: 64 mb RAM! :pray:
Very fast? :roll:

Maybe should look for a raspberry-Pi-system?
But even that mini-system starts with 1024 mb RAM ... :?:
Anyway - it is a challenge! Also you should look for
those tiny little sf2-sample libraries of the nineties,
so that your system provides a minimum of performance.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

elassi wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:13 pm
event2020 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:20 pmI do not record external instruments, only internal so I do not need a multi input interface but one that is clean and quiet (excellent D/A converters) I'm sure you get the picture.
RME Fireface. Period.

This one I'd even not bequeath when I'm dead because I don't want to let it go.
Why do you like them so much? I'm also considering something from rme coming from scarlett 2i4.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Building a computer today is easier than ever before.
Just take the most powerful chip you can afford, pick a great motherboard for that socket, and then pick the rest from the compatibility lists on the motherboard vendor's website.

Once pcPartpicker came out it made things much easier for everyone from novice to expert: it takes the compatibility questions away, great for brainstorming, going a bit outside the box. Hit the site, start with a case and mobo you want, and go to town. Here's the one I built if it helps at all: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Psomm/saved/WwQKZL

@chk071 I built both gaming machines and DAWS, and the difference isn't much -- they both want incredible performance by core components being on the fastest bus possible - just the focus becomes the audio instead of the video.

Though I totally get why you (and others who have built over the years) are reluctant to build -- every-time we build a new one its semi-enjoyable stress randomly peppered with non-enjoyable stress.

Regardless if you do decide to custom build again and need any help, I'm sure you'll get plenty around here -- building or own typically ends up euphoric once its humming along.
Have you tried Vital?

Touch The Universe wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:01 am
elassi wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:13 pm
event2020 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:20 pmI do not record external instruments, only internal so I do not need a multi input interface but one that is clean and quiet (excellent D/A converters) I'm sure you get the picture.
RME Fireface. Period.

This one I'd even not bequeath when I'm dead because I don't want to let it go.
Why do you like them so much? I'm also considering something from rme coming from scarlett 2i4.
Transparent sound, and flawless drivers. I’ve never used anything else after switching to them 10 years ago.

What do you mean transparent sound? I was hoping for a latency improvement atleast. It also seems odd to have a very expensive machine but a pretty cheap interface 1/20th of the price.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

RME are by far the best interface manufacturers at sensible money. Top notch build quality, the best drivers in the business, superb build quality and excellent support.

Touch The Universe wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:17 amWhat do you mean transparent sound?
It means that the failure point in reproducing the sound from your DAW is moved outward from the PC and soundcard to your monitors/headphones/ears. It means there are fewer anomalies being introduced into the sound you intended by your hardware. It means you'll want better monitors/headphones so you get the benefit :). (Going from the digital realm of your PC to the analogue realm of monitors/headphones/ears is a potential major failure point.)

I'd love to be able to justify the cost of an RME interface but my priority is MIDI I/O support and good enough audio... so they've never been worth it. The low latency is tempting, though.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”