Time for new top spec DAW, UK company recommendations please?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm in the UK and its time for a brand new DAW.

I have been building my own computers since the late 80's but todays computers need someone with more knowledge than me - setting up clocking on CPU, RAM timings and so on.

I am leaning towards having a top spec system built by a dedicated DAW supplier, UK Based so I can chase them if things break or go wrong.

Can any of my fellow forum members from the UK recommend a company?
I have never used one so I have no clue who is good or bad.

I will be running Cubase 10 on Windows 10 64bit
Prefer an ASUS motherboard (they have never let me down.. ever)
I will want 64mb of very fast ram
3 very fast drives, one for system/programs, one for samples/VST Librarys and the other for project data.
The main thing for me is to be able to run as many plugins as possible as sometime I am mixing 48 tracks with 3 - 6 plugs on each track.
A decent but wide and large monitor to replace my two aging 32" ones.

I would also be grateful for some sound interface recommendations.
I do not record external instruments, only internal so I do not need a multi input interface but one that is clean and quiet (excellent D/A converters) I'm sure you get the picture.

Many thanks everyone...

Ready, Set, GO!

event2020 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:20 pm I will want 64mb of very fast ram
Are you sure about that? :lol:

event2020 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:20 pmI do not record external instruments, only internal so I do not need a multi input interface but one that is clean and quiet (excellent D/A converters) I'm sure you get the picture.
RME Fireface. Period.

This one I'd even not bequeath when I'm dead because I don't want to let it go.

Reefius wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:55 pm
I thought it was another resurrected thread from way back when!

Grum.

scan will build or sell parts for computer

Let's party like it's 1986!
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

mgw38 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:16 pm
Let's party like it's 1986!
doc! i need your help to get back to the year 19 8 5..

Scan Computers built my current PC ... Its four years old, going strong. They specced it out exactly as I wanted, with great communication throughout the build.

May not be what you want to hear, but if you've been building them you may want to continue -- no company will make the DAW specs the way you want them, unless you don't have specific requirements.

For instance, the majority of "professional DAW" companies don't even list DB of their systems under any load specs (and most, even supposedly 'pro' users don't think of or plan for it) -- for producers where the system is near a recording - that's a HUGE consideration. The majority of systems sound like rocket ships, rendering the DAW room virtually unusable in my book.

Regardless, plan first for a passive graphics card capable of 4k output -- don't go onboard, it feels horrible get a dedicated passive (no fan) card, silent case with low mb, powersupply, and ambient temps. Then build your power specs around that. Even if you don't record in the room, PC noise can be problematic.

The one I built in 2018 is a silent powerhouse, I'd build the same exact one again if I had to get another, and would cost just around $1k today.
Last edited by Psuper on Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:34 pm May not be what you want to hear, but if you've been building them you may want to continue -- no company will make the DAW specs the way you want them, unless you don't have specific requirements.

For instance, the majority of "professional DAW" companies don't even list DB of their systems under any load specs (and most, even supposedly 'pro' users don't think of or plan for it) -- for producers where the system is near a recording - that's a HUGE consideration. The majority of systems sound like rocket ships, rendering the DAW room virtually unusable in my book.

Regardless, plan first for a passive graphics card capable of 4k output -- don't go onboard, it feels horrible get a dedicated passive (no fan) card, silent case with low mb, powersupply, and ambient temps. Then build your power specs around that.

The one I built in 2018 is a silent powerhouse, I'd build the same exact one again if I had to get another, and would cost just around $1k today.
But that’s the point. If you know what you’re doing you don’t need a company, if you don’t know what you’re doing you get a company like Scan and trust they know what they’re doing.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I agree, but he said he's been building them since the 80s, and I have too (pc systems since the 90s, prior that wasn't much we could 'build' except peripheral farms)- I'm just letting him know its WAY easier to build them today than it used to be, and considerations that others likely can't do for him -- so he may just want to keep on keeping on.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:42 pm I agree, but he said he's been building them since the 80s, and I have too (pc systems since the 90s, prior that wasn't much we could 'build' except peripheral farms)- I'm just letting him know its WAY easier to build them today than it used to be, and considerations that others likely can't do for him -- so he may just want to keep on keeping on.
:oops:
I missed the bit about him having prior experience.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:48 pm
Psuper wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:42 pm I agree, but he said he's been building them since the 80s, and I have too (pc systems since the 90s, prior that wasn't much we could 'build' except peripheral farms)- I'm just letting him know its WAY easier to build them today than it used to be, and considerations that others likely can't do for him -- so he may just want to keep on keeping on.
:oops:
I missed the bit about him having prior experience.
All good mate -- I just felt like if I was in his shoes I'd appreciate someone bringing me a bit of perspective and confidence - even if he decides to have them build it, he got some ideas to roll around.
Have you tried Vital?

Loving all of the comments and suggestions, thanks for them all.

Yes - I noticed my mistake, 64mb RAM haha (I blame the cider I had after dinner)

Yeah I have always built my own PC's (8 maybe 9 now) but.... the last one I built was 9 years ago and it was really well spec'd at the time, running win 7 64bit.

I guess I am lacking confidence and worried if I build it and something goes wrong its all on my shoulders but
I would not rule it out. It's things like the Solid State NVMe SSD's (they were not around when I built my last system) and noi clue about optimizing the CPU & RAM voltages for best performance and all of that jazz...

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:41 pm
Psuper wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:34 pm May not be what you want to hear, but if you've been building them you may want to continue -- no company will make the DAW specs the way you want them, unless you don't have specific requirements.

Regardless, plan first for a passive graphics card capable of 4k output -- don't go onboard, it feels horrible get a dedicated passive (no fan) card, silent case with low mb, powersupply, and ambient temps. Then build your power specs around that.

But that’s the point. If you know what you’re doing you don’t need a company, if you don’t know what you’re doing you get a company like Scan and trust they know what they’re doing.
The problem is that there are configurations which are pretty problematic in terms of real time audio, and proneness to produce dropouts. Frankly, if I would be buying something for "professional use", I wouldn't know if I'd really want to configure myself. And, i'm pretty familiar with the components these days.

If I'd be in the market for a gaming PC, no problem, but, audio is a different story...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”