IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

xandde1 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:11 pm What's the deal with the overheads? Can't we get a good direct sound from the individual channels? Is it always necessary to combine them with the overheads?
I've done a lot of drum recording, on both sides of the kit, and I can tell you, you want most of your sound coming from the overheads. Close mics bring it forward and give it detail, but the sound of the overheads is the sound of the drumkit. That's what gives it context and cohesion. I like to use a room mic as well which adds a raw, live vibe. You could totally get away with just overheads and a room mic. That's how it used to be done. But if you use just close mics it sounds like MIDI. I tend to pull close mics back a bit in the mix.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

MODO DRUM 1.1 is out now.
Looks like stereo perspective has been added!
No brushes or snare strainer throw-off yet.

Also Catalina support, of course.

jamcat wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:22 pm
xandde1 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:11 pm What's the deal with the overheads? Can't we get a good direct sound from the individual channels? Is it always necessary to combine them with the overheads?
I've done a lot of drum recording, on both sides of the kit, and I can tell you, you want most of your sound coming from the overheads. Close mics bring it forward and give it detail, but the sound of the overheads is the sound of the drumkit. That's what gives it context and cohesion. I like to use a room mic as well which adds a raw, live vibe. You could totally get away with just overheads and a room mic. That's how it used to be done. But if you use just close mics it sounds like MIDI. I tend to pull close mics back a bit in the mix.
i dont record real kits but struggle with midi kits all them time. parallel compression to get the tone and some grit and a trash track work quite good for me; maybe you have some additional tips for the midi drum people? and so far im totally on your side; wondered very long why it sounds so "midi" as i mostly used the close mics and overhead only for cymbals and hats. some artificial room with delay and reverb was also not that bad mixed quit; and of course tape and saturation.

cheers

Yes, MODO DRUM 1.1.0 is available now.

Changes from version 1.0.0:
  • Implemented Custom MIDI Mapping section
  • Compatible with macOS Catalina
  • Implemented Equalizer and Mixer Presets
  • Added Perspective selector in the Mixer section
  • Implemented Bus Renaming
  • Enabled Drag & Drop grooves in Cubase
  • Fixed potential Audio Unit crash when inserting MODO Drum with multi output
  • Fixed potential VST3 crash in Bandlab/Cakewalk
  • Fixed Drag & Drop ejecting MODO Drum in Studio One
  • Fixed an issue in FL Studio where MIDI Notes in Piano Roll did not always trigger
  • Fixed an issue where the trigger sync was not synced to DAW
  • General optimizations and bug fixes

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:03 pm Yes, MODO DRUM 1.1.0 is available now.

• Fixed an issue in FL Studio where MIDI Notes in Piano Roll did not always trigger
Peter, we don't have to re-enter our serial number after installing the update, do we?

Xbucket wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:30 pm i dont record real kits but struggle with midi kits all them time. parallel compression to get the tone and some grit and a trash track work quite good for me; maybe you have some additional tips for the midi drum people? and so far im totally on your side; wondered very long why it sounds so "midi" as i mostly used the close mics and overhead only for cymbals and hats. some artificial room with delay and reverb was also not that bad mixed quit; and of course tape and saturation.
Start with overheads ONLY and get a good natural balance with them. With real drums that means mic selection and configuration. With MODO DRUM it mean sending all the drums to the OH channel and setting the send levels to where it sounds like the kit is in a single pair of mics.

Next, bring in each drum "close mic" one at a time and adjust the pan until the close mic sits in the exact same spot as it does in the overhead. When they're all placed, take the close mic faders all the way down and start bringing them up one at a time just to the point where they start bringing the sound of the drum more forward. From there you can push it up a little or bring it back a touch to taste. The main point is you don't want the close mic to drown out your overhead sound. That's when it starts sounding artificial.

Finally, bring in the room mic. I prefer a lot of it because it gives the sense of a real drummer playing a real kit in a real room more than anything else you can do to it. I'm personally a fan of the raw sound, especially when it's not a real drummer. My priority is to make the listener think it is. I'm not a big fan of NY compression or a trash track. I'd rather get all of that from the room mic if I can. I think you should do as little as necessary to a mix, and everything you do should have a clear purpose in service of the mix, and should never ever disturb the stereo image. Don't just throw on a compressor or some saturation just because "it's the thing to do." Despite what you may have heard, engineers aren't actually paid by the plugin instance. :wink:

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:03 pm Yes, MODO DRUM 1.1.0 is available now.

Peter, will we ever get brushes?

jamcat wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:51 am
Start with overheads ONLY and get a good natural balance with them. With real drums that means mic selection and configuration. ..
Thanks for this. The "real" drumsounds for me is mostly Metal related, there are lots of productions where you have that artificial feeling but lately i prefer drumsounds like those tue madson does. He made awesome The Haunted Records, where everything sounds quite natural in a genre where lot of tweaking is done normally.

I like roomsounds too, so I´ll try your way. :-)

cheers,
jens

Can’t wait to work with midi mapping with my Roland kit and drag and drop midi with Cubase. Great news.

Xbucket wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:21 pm
jamcat wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:51 am
Start with overheads ONLY and get a good natural balance with them. With real drums that means mic selection and configuration. ..
Thanks for this. The "real" drumsounds for me is mostly Metal related, there are lots of productions where you have that artificial feeling but lately i prefer drumsounds like those tue madson does. He made awesome The Haunted Records, where everything sounds quite natural in a genre where lot of tweaking is done normally.

I like roomsounds too, so I´ll try your way. :-)

cheers,
jens
Each to their own, I like that 70s tea towel sound or the in your face sound of a really dry kit. A tea towel mode in modo would be awesome. Most of the presets are way to wet by the way, everything sounds like an 80s power ballad. What’s up with that?

mixtur.se wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:41 pm Each to their own, I like that 70s tea towel sound or the in your face sound of a really dry kit. A tea towel mode in modo would be awesome. Most of the presets are way to wet by the way, everything sounds like an 80s power ballad. What’s up with that?
EDIT ELEMENT in the CUSTOMIZE page and turn DAMP up, and turn down the volume of the bottom heads. Also try coated vs. clear heads. You should get a sound you like.

I avoid the presets, personally. They have too many effects and tend to make MODO DRUM sound more artificial than it should. I turn all effects off and send each drum to its own channel in my DAW. I have sends on each to send the kit to a virtual room to model early reflections, and a separate room reverb with ER turned off. Close mics, overheads, virtual room output, and room reverb each get a group or effect channel, which I use to balance the live/dry drum sound. All of these elements come together to create a pretty convincing drumkit image with tangible depth to it.

A note about aligning your close mics with your overhead image in 1.1:

The new Audience perspective in 1.1 is a little weird because it doesn't just flip the stereo image of the overheads and room. It flips everything, including the close mics, so when you pan your close mics left, the sound goes right, and visa versa. It makes sense for them to do that so you don't have to repan everything to A/B Drummer/Audience perspective, but it does make it a little unnatural to work with in Audience perspective.

So I'd suggest getting your panning set up in Drummer perspective, and then flip it to Audience perspective only after you're done.

I'm noticing when watching the new PLAY STYLE hit animation in 1.1, the variation for the right hand appears to be very limited, staying quite close to the center line of the hit area, even when the R AREA is very large. The left hand is significantly more varied from one hit to the next, even exceeding the outer limit of the L AREA.

This does not seem like expected behavior.
Is anyone else getting this too?

wagtunes wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:17 am
Peter, we don't have to re-enter our serial number after installing the update, do we?
I just did an uninstall of version 1 and then installed 1.10 and it was authorized. Uninstalled doesn't lose the authorization or use another one in the process. At least on my machine and in my past experience with all things IK.

simmo75 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:43 am Peter, will we ever get brushes?
This request has been relayed to the Product Manager and developers, I don't have specific news on this feature at this time though.
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”