IKM launched a new Hammond organ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hammond B-3X

Thanks peter did you see my question about controller maps?
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Dewdman42 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:29 pm Thanks peter did you see my question about controller maps?
Missed that but I can pass the suggestion to the team. The Hammond units have a profile in Hammond B-3X but for others you can currently use MIDI learn to map things to other controllers.

Would also love to see if you guys can consider in the future adding multi-out audio for the three mixer channels (DI, Leslie, guitar cab)

Regarding the controller maps, are the Hammond maps doing anything in particular that would not be possible with another controller via midi learn?

Damn. I just realised I still haven’t check this out. Must get to it soon.

Dewdman42 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:55 pm Would also love to see if you guys can consider in the future adding multi-out audio for the three mixer channels (DI, Leslie, guitar cab)
Thank you for the suggestion. As for the controller question, one should be able to do what they need via MIDI learn but having the Hammond profiles there is easier for those that use those units and of course made some sense due to being an official effort with Hammond themselves.

Edit - Please note, though, the Hammond profiles are actually much more complicated than just automatically assigning CC numbers to parameters (as you can do manually). The Hammond-Suzuki products send out complex MIDI messages for many of their controls such as multiple CC numbers as well as MIDI Non-Registered Parameters for a single button. This is why we created the profiles, because it would not have been possible to support the Hammond-Suzuki hardware keyboards with just a single CC assignment per Hammond B-3X parameter.

That's good info about the midi. Do you know if any of those more elaborate Hammond midi messages are providing perhaps more resolution then 0-127 midi CC through midi learn?

It would be nice if we could get or make our own profiles and save them as profiles...even hand-hack a profile together in an XML file somewhere or something...because setting up midi learn on lots of controls is first of all, a bit of a PITA. There are a dozen or two controls that nearly every hammond player needs to be able to control...part of playing hammond is using the drawbars, the leslie switch, the chorus switches, volume pedal...at a minimum and a few more occasionally. So nearly everyone using this product will need to integrate it with whatever controller(s) they have... There are a number of common controllers being used for playing hammond, that have drawbars and so forth.. So certainly it would be helpful to many if some of these profiles were also provided...or if there was a way for us to edit our own and share, that would work too. Many people will not be using full organ controllers, they will be using whatever they have, with maybe a set of faders for the drawbars...or a dedicated drawbar controller, etc.. Again...its a pain to have to setup midi learn in our host every time. If we can save these setups as profiles in some way it would be very well received.

By the way I went ahead and purchased B3X. So at this point my questions are more for the sake of future posterity and further enhancement to the product that might come out of it.

I was able to try B3-X in a friend's studio. In my opinion it is really one of the best emulations I have ever heard, there are enough reasons and virtues to acquire it. However as a remark in the MIDI area I noticed something annoying. In a first audition of the instrument I tried to change the presets by sending program changes from my MIDI controller, there was no response. We entered the MIDI page where Ch.1 was assigned, all right there.

Finally we read that you have to access the CONTROL page to manually assign the presets to MPC from 0 to 127, one by one!! a less than flexible and cumbersome scheme! There should be by default the available presets already assigned to P.chgs. since the default available presets even do not reach 64, it is even less justifiable to inconvenience the user by manually changing the presets, instead of having them already assigned by default for a friendly and fluid first audition.

One suggestion to improve the management of the assignment of presets, would be to be able to grouping desired presets with shift + click to assign them to sequential MIDI PG numbers. For example: presets 1-5-12-19-22 as "group A" to program changes 10-11-12-13 - 14 and presets 3-7-16-25-32 as "group B" to program changes 15/16/17/18/19 by simply selecting/assign 10 for group A and 15 (or whatever) for group B. A simple to select method for groups of contiguous MIDI program changes with just a few clicks.

It is not understandable that, in the first quarter of the century, features so essential for friendly and time-saving use are not yet implemented in by other hand, magnificent pieces of emulation engineering, such as the IK B3-X.

JG
Session guitarist and music producer from Venezuela
One of my old demos: (Scarbee and Overloud)
https://bit.ly/3mDq0D3

Let me just add in the same vein, that it's difficult to comprehend that, in the first quarter of the century, IK stubbornly refuse to implement the MIDI CC #64 toggle function for Leslie chorale/tremolo.

PSP (after nagging), GSI, GG, Acoustic Samples and M Audio have all realised the advantage of this handy (or should that be 'footy'?) feature. Even IK had it (after nagging) on their original Leslie emulator…

The IK engineers' argument that it isn't available on the original, physical Hammonds is laughable. Wake up, guys, please! No #64 toggle, no purchase over here. ;-)

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Dewdman42 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:03 pm That's good info about the midi. Do you know if any of those more elaborate Hammond midi messages are providing perhaps more resolution then 0-127 midi CC through midi learn?

It would be nice if we could get or make our own profiles and save them as profiles...even hand-hack a profile together in an XML file somewhere or something...because setting up midi learn on lots of controls is first of all, a bit of a PITA. There are a dozen or two controls that nearly every hammond player needs to be able to control...part of playing hammond is using the drawbars, the leslie switch, the chorus switches, volume pedal...at a minimum and a few more occasionally. So nearly everyone using this product will need to integrate it with whatever controller(s) they have... There are a number of common controllers being used for playing hammond, that have drawbars and so forth.. So certainly it would be helpful to many if some of these profiles were also provided...or if there was a way for us to edit our own and share, that would work too. Many people will not be using full organ controllers, they will be using whatever they have, with maybe a set of faders for the drawbars...or a dedicated drawbar controller, etc.. Again...its a pain to have to setup midi learn in our host every time. If we can save these setups as profiles in some way it would be very well received.

By the way I went ahead and purchased B3X. So at this point my questions are more for the sake of future posterity and further enhancement to the product that might come out of it.
Glad to hear of your purchase :D

The Hammond controllers send a lot of MIDI data outside of just MIDI CC messages. They are unique when compared to most MIDI gear and because of this a traditional MIDI learn function won't work. Unfortunately, we don't have a list of the messages used due to the complexity of each model. If you do have any interests for new/different features for the profiles. Please share your thoughts to our team or on the official wish list (Links below).

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-us/
https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/vi ... 12&t=22351

MIDI CC assignments will save to your Project, so if you have multiple controllers you can save sessions as templates to get this kind of function. In stand alone, the messages used are also saved for when you close/reopen. Shoot me a PM if you're a stand alone user and are looking for a quick way to switch between MIDI CC assignment lists.
Jazzguitar wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:32 pm I was able to try B3-X in a friend's studio. In my opinion it is really one of the best emulations I have ever heard, there are enough reasons and virtues to acquire it. However as a remark in the MIDI area I noticed something annoying. In a first audition of the instrument I tried to change the presets by sending program changes from my MIDI controller, there was no response. We entered the MIDI page where Ch.1 was assigned, all right there.

Finally we read that you have to access the CONTROL page to manually assign the presets to MPC from 0 to 127, one by one!! a less than flexible and cumbersome scheme! There should be by default the available presets already assigned to P.chgs. since the default available presets even do not reach 64, it is even less justifiable to inconvenience the user by manually changing the presets, instead of having them already assigned by default for a friendly and fluid first audition.

One suggestion to improve the management of the assignment of presets, would be to be able to grouping desired presets with shift + click to assign them to sequential MIDI PG numbers. For example: presets 1-5-12-19-22 as "group A" to program changes 10-11-12-13 - 14 and presets 3-7-16-25-32 as "group B" to program changes 15/16/17/18/19 by simply selecting/assign 10 for group A and 15 (or whatever) for group B. A simple to select method for groups of contiguous MIDI program changes with just a few clicks.

It is not understandable that, in the first quarter of the century, features so essential for friendly and time-saving use are not yet implemented in by other hand, magnificent pieces of emulation engineering, such as the IK B3-X.

JG
Thanks for the positive comments on the sound of Hammond B-3X. :D

We appreciate your interests in these features. I'll be sure to relay this to the team. Please feel free to share this and any other comments to the official wish list.

https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/vi ... 12&t=22351
Spitfire31 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:23 am Let me just add in the same vein, that it's difficult to comprehend that, in the first quarter of the century, IK stubbornly refuse to implement the MIDI CC #64 toggle function for Leslie chorale/tremolo.

PSP (after nagging), GSI, GG, Acoustic Samples and M Audio have all realised the advantage of this handy (or should that be 'footy'?) feature. Even IK had it (after nagging) on their original Leslie emulator…

The IK engineers' argument that it isn't available on the original, physical Hammonds is laughable. Wake up, guys, please! No #64 toggle, no purchase over here. ;-)

/Joachim
Make sure you've grabbed the latest update to Hammond B-3X. Not only can you use sustain as a function in this version, but you can also set MIDI CC 64 to Leslie speed control. This can be set for Toggle or Inverted use as well.

Updates can be found in your User Area -> My Products section of your IK Multimedia account.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/my-products/
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

Ryan_IK wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:36 pm Make sure you've grabbed the latest update to Hammond B-3X. Not only can you use sustain as a function in this version, but you can also set MIDI CC 64 to Leslie speed control. This can be set for Toggle or Inverted use as well.

Updates can be found in your User Area -> My Products section of your IK Multimedia account.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/my-products/
Thank you for the heads up, Ryan!

/Joachim

Just checked out my account – it seems that the Hammond is exempt from all manners of Holiday- and BF goodies. I don't even get any crossgrade help from my early adoption of the IK Leslie. :-(

I guess I'm rather well stacked already with GSI VB3 II, Acousticsamples' B-5 and GG's Blue3… However, should Santa decide to bring some discount joy, I'm open to reconsideration… ;-)

Ryan_IK wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:36 pm
Dewdman42 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:03 pm That's good info about the midi. Do you know if any of those more elaborate Hammond midi messages are providing perhaps more resolution then 0-127 midi CC through midi learn?
The Hammond controllers send a lot of MIDI data outside of just MIDI CC messages. They are unique when compared to most MIDI gear and because of this a traditional MIDI learn function won't work. Unfortunately, we don't have a list of the messages used due to the complexity of each model.
Noted. Thanks for responding. One midi controller I have been thinking about getting is the DMC-122: https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=42

So basically I am just wondering what would be involved in setting up all the midi learns needed to control your software like a hammond... Sure would be nice if we could save it as a profile somehow.

I also hope a future update may consider multi-out audio for the direct, guitar amp and leslie amp mixer sub mixes...

I didn't end up getting it in the recent sales, unfortunately. Although I did manage to snag myself the Deluxe upgrade to Syntronik.

How much does that sound name like a Jamiroquai album?!? Haha!!

First, for those that don't know - we've released Hammond B-3X for iPad recently.

Also, here is a nice and long video from a gospel perspective running through quite a lot of details about Hammond B-3X Mac/PC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj1t-eK ... Ki&index=3

Return to “Instruments”