Wagtunes Production Music

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Benedict wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:49 am There are people (scarily like you & I) who are hoping to hear a new Boz or Gordon. Not clones (leave that to Lady Gargle and the like) but new voices telling their own stories.

Why no be in front of them? Esp seeing I predict that this will be a "thing" reasonably soon.

:-)
I wish I had your confidence. I've been following music for a very long time as I am sure you have. So you know as well as I do, that things have been cookie cutter crap for a very long time outside of some very few exceptions.

We can both go over the whole history of when and how rock died (actually it started with the introduction of synths in the 80s as a main instrument and not just a Lucky Man doodling thing) but what's the point? The downward spiral has been going on for so long now that I don't see it turning around.

In fact, there's a video out there that shows the top albums for each year from the 60s on and you can see the graph of how little rock there is left in the world. We have been taken over by hip hop, rap and dance music.

Yes, there are a few rock bands out there (Imagine Dragons, etc) but they are way in the minority and not exactly tearing up the charts.

I know quite a few people who are making money playing rock music. They may not be "tearing up the charts" but they are making a living. It's hard f**king work... promoting yourself, getting rejected, establishing a network of connections, getting rejected some more... the footwork required to get your name out there is much more exhausting and frustrating than actually making music (at least for me, as someone who is uncomfortable interacting with people, in general). If you aren't playing gigs, I think it's even harder.

I mix tracks for a coworker who frequently places music in commercials and TV. He's had a number of pieces used in MTV shows and teasers. He does mostly rock and R&B. There is still a demand for that type of stuff but it's not really about demand, it's about making a connection with the person whose job it is to find/currate the music used for that type of thing... if you can make that person's job easier (by consistently providing quality material, they can use), they will begin to rely on you and make referrals to other people who need that kind of work.

From what I understand, cultivating those relationship was a lot of work. I know he felt like a nuisance trying to ingratiate himself to the people who would eventually be paying him and a big part of his success was being in the right place at the right time. The thing is, this person has a full-time day job, he's a dad and a husband and has a life outside of music. He doesn't play gigs but he makes friends with other local musicians by just being an outgoing person. He talks to people at his church whom he knows have their own musical endeavors (fair enough, he goes to the same church as Eric Persing :lol:) and he pursues opportunities where he can find them. I will say, that living in the suburbs around Los Angeles, you are more likely to meet folks who work or have worked in the music industry, than most other places but in the age of the internet, that doesn't matter as much anymore.

justin3am wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:34 pm I know quite a few people who are making money playing rock music. They may not be "tearing up the charts" but they are making a living. It's hard f**king work... promoting yourself, getting rejected, establishing a network of connections, getting rejected some more... the footwork required to get your name out there is much more exhausting and frustrating than actually making music (at least for me, as someone who is uncomfortable interacting with people, in general). If you aren't playing gigs, I think it's even harder.

I mix tracks for a coworker who frequently places music in commercials and TV. He's had a number of pieces used in MTV shows and teasers. He does mostly rock and R&B. There is still a demand for that type of stuff but it's not really about demand, it's about making a connection with the person whose job it is to find/currate the music used for that type of thing... if you can make that person's job easier (by consistently providing quality material, they can use), they will begin to rely on you and make referrals to other people who need that kind of work.

From what I understand, cultivating those relationship was a lot of work. I know he felt like a nuisance trying to ingratiate himself to the people who would eventually be paying him and a big part of his success was being in the right place at the right time. The thing is, this person has a full-time day job, he's a dad and a husband and has a life outside of music. He doesn't play gigs but he makes friends with other local musicians by just being an outgoing person. He talks to people at his church whom he knows have their own musical endeavors (fair enough, he goes to the same church as Eric Persing :lol:) and he pursues opportunities where he can find them. I will say, that living in the suburbs around Los Angeles, you are more likely to meet folks who work or have worked in the music industry, than most other places but in the age of the internet, that doesn't matter as much anymore.
All true. I guess in a way I'm pretty lucky that some band leader stumbled onto my music and wanted to record my songs. I didn't have to do anything but just say yes. And in that respect, I'm very grateful. It just would have been nice if this production music thing worked so i could be more in control of things. Right now I'm basically part of a 5 man band, so royalties get split 5 ways and I'm at the mercy of what songs of mine they want to do. A lot of things are really out of my control. But it's still better than where I was.

Wags you still see music consumption as only being about the narrow-minded screaming of people on Social Media who have nothing better to do than laud garbage and garbage others so they don't feel so bad about themselves. Don't talk to wannabe musicians as they will almost always cut you down (as you well know).

I am truly delighted for the day I got this record by a band of washed-up old bastards called Demon who couldn't compete with Grunge or Thrash and are nowhere against Drake. But boy do they have a great record.
https://youtu.be/LzHU3PmUHUI

I also just got a 'best of' Sweet. A lot of the newer material is a joy to listen to.

Look at this dodgy old uncool bastard who isn't Moley Cyrus and realize that it is worth hearing again...
https://youtu.be/hljBz0zTEKQ

Ignore all the stuff that you wouldn't want to buy (let alone have to sit through once) and focus on making the stuff you would want to find and take home. Sure it won't be easy but if you do work where you allow yourself to do something truly special (like the records you love) then people will appreciate it. You will too that you were doing what you were here to do not chasing what you will never succeed at.

As for confidence, it is not easy, let me tell... oh I don't need to tell you, but it's that or bein bent out of shape all the time from giving in to people you don't respect anyway.

@Benedict

Thank you for the words of wisdom. Ultimately, I wonder how happy I'd be making music I can't stand no matter how much money it made me?

This is exactly where I was trying to get you to before ;-)

So who is Wags??? (don't feel the need to write that answer here)

Benedict wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:08 am This is exactly where I was trying to get you to before ;-)

So who is Wags??? (don't feel the need to write that answer here)

LOL. The question I still don't know how to answer. Honestly, I really don't know what you're looking for. Maybe the problem is that I simply have no clue. If I did, maybe I'd be able to take a distinct path to where I want to go and get there relatively quick. Even with this gig I got with this new band, honestly, I'm not as excited about it as I thought I would be. Maybe I'm too old to get that excited over commercial success. Maybe, ultimately, all I want to do is make the kind of music I like to make (which varies a lot) and be happy making it.

Who knows? I sure as hell don't. But, I'm not going to worry about it. I'm just going to let the future take me to where it will take me.

you dont need to "write" any answer :dog:
the answer has been given many times :P

you are an amalgamation of all your influences, culminating in a sort of quirky pop with hints of show tunes.
those songs you enjoy playing and singing, even when they dont turn out perfect, they are you.
the fun should guide you :D

vurt wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:23 pm you dont need to "write" any answer :dog:

you are an amalgamation of all your influences, culminating in a sort of quirky pop with hints of show tunes.
those songs you enjoy playing and singing, even when they dont turn out perfect, they are you.
Well, I'd like to think there's more to my music than pop show tune stuff but who knows. I've done lots of things, some obviously better than others. But perception is reality I guess.

Anyway, it's all good.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:28 pm

Well, I'd like to think there's more to my music than pop show tune stuff but who knows. I've done lots of things, some obviously better than others. But perception is reality I guess.

Anyway, it's all good.
yes, you've done a lot of other stuff, often aiming at tributes yes? so that's not really your voice is it? that's you doing a tribute to act a :)
not that im saying that is wrong, just not "wags".

and what the hell is wrong with "quirky pop with hints of showtune"? it's a distinctive you!
it's where you come across most natural and again "it sounds in the music, like you are having fun".

this doesnt mean you cant do other things, it just means you have an identity.
like you immediately think of me as modular, i do other stuff too.
it's no bad thing.

vurt wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:35 pm

Anyway, it's all good.
yes, you've done a lot of other stuff, often aiming at tributes yes? so that's not really your voice is it? that's you doing a tribute to act a :)

and what the hell is wrong with "quirky pop with hints of showtune"? it's a distinctive you!
it's where you come across most natural and again "it sounds in the music, like you are having fun".

it's no bad thing.
Well, I guess it's better to have an identity than no identity at all. Would that make me Devo?

ps: do not get me going on "perception vs reality" at the minute.
im in an "is this all a simulation" phase again :scared:

wagtunes wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:36 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:35 pm

Anyway, it's all good.

it's no bad thing.
Well, I guess it's better to have an identity than no identity at all. Would that make me Devo?
if i wasnt high, that's probably what i would have said instead of that long diatribe :lol:

I'm still entertaining the idea of elaborating on my thoughts as to some issues I believe you are facing, but it's such a daunting prospect :scared:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:51 pm I'm still entertaining the idea of elaborating on my thoughts as to some issues I believe you are facing, but it's such a daunting prospect :scared:
do it as cartman to take the sting out of the tail...

"he rack a disciprin!"

Return to “Music Cafe”