New ExpressiveE instrument: Osmose

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:46 pm Here's a plan - get the early bird price, sell it closer to retail price if you don't like it, after it's released to the masses. PROFIT!
Yeah I might pre-order with the knowledge that if I don' tend up liking it enough to keep it, I could probably at least sell it for the price I bought it for.

Your Osmose reservation at 1079$/€ order status is complete
Your Osmose preorder code: OS1-XXXXXXXX
ETA: Summer 2020

I'm all in, as someone who currently lives in the UK I really needed something to look forward to :-)

I don't think I have ever had gear lust for the 'look' of a synth like I have with this (I normally only get excited by guitars!) - this actually looks (and sounds) like something new.

My reason for going in pre-order-
Its a powerful synth, not just an MPE controller.
I have a Touche, love the build and feel so I have something to go on.
Haken Audio's EaganMatrix…
The price- its coming out around 800GBP, That seems like a really good price to me...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I've always wanted the EaganMatrix. Really wish it was a VST editor though. I wonder if it's something they've considered. Maybe not previously a big enough market for it, but perhaps this will change that?

Yeh, there is a PC/MAC editor (wonder if I can download it now :?: ) but until then I just have this to read! https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... ideOpt.pdf
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Yep, you can download it, but it's just an editor, the manual is more useful.
Best
YY

I’m probably going to be waiting 6 months, I’ll look at everything!

The nice thing with the Eaganmatrix is you can route anything, anywhere, but it's not a kind of commercial instrument, it's brut, you can easily clip your signal or create big feedback loop, you must be careful:) the formula are so powerful, you can re use theme into the same patch, link them, apply some math, add, multiply, modulo..... it's a deep sound design tool. The filters are not the best in the market but you can design you own moog filter if you want with some lp6 in series with feedback. No envelopes, all is done with your fingers or with lfo, loop or just one cycle and you can construct your own envelope by chaining multiple lfo's. It's deep....
Best
YY

Best
YY

Whywhy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:54 pm The Cuckoo video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... jZ6SuWxBFg
Really nice, glad I’m on the Waiting list!

That Cuckoo guy is SUPER chill. Props.

Who is this guy? He looks like a crazy drummer of a progressive death metal band.
The video is very nice to watch

Cuckoo Is pretty famous for his YT videos, I came across him as he did a lot of Op-1 stuff, but he covers a lot of hardware and does some great (long) in depth videos in his cooky style, which I like!

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:13 amObviously, it actually feels like actual keys and not like silicone which is weird, and the way black keys are set up on Roli makes playing certain chords much more difficult than on proper keys.
First of all, is your name Urs? Secondly, have you played this thing? Finally, it won't feel like a normal keyboard because it doesn't work like a normal keyboard. As I said yesterday, you won't be able to play it like a piano or an organ and get any of the benefits it has to offer, you will have to develop a playing style that will be very similar to the best style for playing a Seaboard. The only problem will be that it will look like a normal keyboard so you'll want to play it like one., At least a Seaboard tells you up front that it's going to give you a different experience, which makes it much easier to adapt to, I think. I can't see anyone swapping their Seaboard for one of these.
That, plus sensors on Osmose are more precise and scan at much faster rate (which is sort of a requirement for MPE+ support, really - which Roli doesn't support due to their own engineering shortcomings).
That's just technical bullshit, Seaboards respond more than quickly enough, any faster scanning isn't necessary. And Osmose won't have more than a tiny fraction of the number of sensors in a Seaboard. e.g It doesn't know where your finger is on a key, only how hard you hit it and how much pressure you apply after that. It is way simpler and, consequently, a lot less useful and expressive.
Also let's quote mr. Charlie Clouser from another forum:
Who cares what that idiot has to say? I can't think of a single thing he's ever done that's impressed me even slightly. he is Mr Overhyped, his opinion largely irrelevant. However we can probably rely on his factual points, where he notes the Osmose's shortcomings.

The other thing to remember is that there are two different Seaboard experiences. The Seaboard Block has a much better set-up for the key waves. The slightly scalloped edges of the "black keys" gives them much more definition and the smaller size makes it easier to apply consistent pressure across a chord, which adds up to a superior playing experience to a Seaboard Rise. It only took me 5 minutes with a Seaboard Block to realise that it was a big step up from my Rise.
No, not that. Watch the videos on their website that go through all the gestures to see what's it about. Allows you to do tremolo picking sort of stuff, which no other MPE controller can do.
I doubt that sincerely but I don't have time to wade through videos for a product that hasn't impressed me. A bit of a cop-out but there it is.
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:40 amYes! The extended chord point can definitely be a little bit of an issue.
That's what makes the Seaboard Block better to play.
However, the silicone material is a hugely integral factor in my enjoyment of playing the Seaboard :tu:
Also-freakin'-lutely! I love it and I wouldn't care if I never got to play another normal keyboard again. The fact it sits on the palm-rest of my laptop while I work makes it even betterer.
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:46 pmThat Cuckoo guy is SUPER chill. Props.
I can't stand that guy. I get about a minute into any of his videos and have to stop them. He comes across as a stoner idiot.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:59 pmThat's just technical bullshit, Seaboards respond more than quickly enough, any faster scanning isn't necessary.
No it's not bullshit, it's facts - and yes it's necessary. Continuum for example scans much faster than Seaboard, hence it provides a LOT more detail for the attack phase of the note (where Roli just does initial velocity, which is nothing impressive, and is in fact making certain articulations you can do on Continuum and Osmose impossible on the Roli). Which is why I posted a link where you can see some comparisons in the data stream produced between the two. I've played on both and this is correct - you cannot shape the attack of the note on Roli in the way you can on Continuum. You CAN do this on Osmose, because it scans with greater speed and precision than Roli - in that regard it's closer to Continuum (which is also why it supports MPE+, not just MPE).

The rest of your post is just shit coming out of your keyboard so it's not worth commenting on. :)
Last edited by EvilDragon on Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:59 pm Secondly, have you played this thing? Finally, it won't feel like a normal keyboard because it doesn't work like a normal keyboard.
Have you played it? Because if not, how can you claim that?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”