N.I. Straylight...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No, it's scripted granular engine. Sounds way better than Tone Machine :)

But more importantly, the soundsources were curated to work well with granular synthesis.

Cool thanks. I use all my own samples so Im interested in the engine and was hoping it offered something different. I'll try the demo.

Got it thanks to the sale. I absolutely LOVE it, fits very well in my music. The presets will keep me busy for a while, but being able to use my own samples was the tipping point for my decision.

removed

rockhopper wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:58 pm I'm curious about Output Portal vs NI Straylight as they are about the same price right now, and "appear" to have similar functionality (be it in different UI ways). Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Totally different. One is an instrument, the other is a granular effect combined with a lot of other stuff. Impossible to compare.

Neon Breath wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:27 pm
Totally different. One is an instrument, the other is a granular effect combined with a lot of other stuff. Impossible to compare.
Thanks for the reply. I'm taking it that NI Straylight is the instrument, as it contains lots of samples. But it did seem to me that they both affect a "sample" with a granular effect. Maybe I need to take a closer look.

rockhopper wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:54 pm
Neon Breath wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:27 pm
Thanks for the reply. I'm taking it that NI Straylight is the instrument, as it contains lots of samples. But it did seem to me that they both affect a "sample" with a granular effect. Maybe I need to take a closer look.
make sure you demo it before you buy.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:22 pm make sure you demo it before you buy.
Were you referring to a specific one (NI), or just in general? I don't think there is a demo for Output Portal.

rockhopper wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:38 pm
telecode wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:22 pm make sure you demo it before you buy.
Were you referring to a specific one (NI), or just in general? I don't think there is a demo for Output Portal.
He surely meant Straylight. There is no way to demo Portal. Buy it and return it within 14 days if you don't like it. I have done this with some other Output products and they really do issue you the refund. I kept all, but returned Rev/Rev-X Loops.

I listened to Portal audio demos and I realized it is just a "cool" sounding plugin that I might not really use. Not saying it is not good, but definitely have some other useful items on the BF to-do for me. GAS averted successfully for Portal.

Portal is great, and does sound very good. But it's a monster effect meant for much more than purely granulation. In the same vein as Byome I would say. Big effect plugin based on granular as its foundation. You have to take that into account, if you're just looking for granular synthesis. Might be overkill. And it shares absolutely nothing with Straylight, except the word 'granular' in its description.

Thanks all for your input. Looking at options for getting into granular synthesis, I think I'm going to go with Reason - Grain (by upgrading from Reason Lite) and getting not only Grain, but lots more. Maybe next year I'll look at other options.

Looks like Sonic Couture are the first 3rd party developer off the bat with an update to Haunted Spaces which now loads user samples. Nice! :clap:
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

Is there a list somewhere which libraries support this new load user samples ? Did found nothing on the NI update info so far.

tatanka wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:24 pm Is there a list somewhere which libraries support this new load user samples ? Did found nothing on the NI update info so far.
As far as I know it's Straylight & Haunted spaces atm. But I don't think it will be long before others follow...
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

Go Sample Logic! Ha! I wonder if library developers are happy or unhappy about the sample import thing.

Return to “Instruments”