Cubase 10.5 is here now....

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:02 am The thing is, though, that not everything will be audible to the listener. They will only hear half-a-dozen things going on at once, the rest won't register at all. In my experience, if it's not going to register, it doesn't need to be there.
LeVzi wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:32 pmnot everyone sees the same value, I certainly don't, but I know others do, and I never suggested it wasn't a worthwhile upgrade for many, but I wasn't alone in thinking this was a lite .5 update and a lot of stuff wasn't really going to be useful. Now if you can't accept that people don't all think your way, then , well I guess you know where you can stick it then.
Well, now you've completely changed your tune and you are agreeing with me, so it seems people do think my way. Because, to refresh your memory, you originally said "... but this last update, really doesn't add to that, even though I keep hearing stories how it's improved workflow, I just ask HOW ?". Now, however, you are saying that other people might in fact see how it improves workflow. Nice to have you on board.
And i've never needed comparative EQ to this date, so suggesting I don't know what i'm doing because of that is laughable tbh.
If you haven't used it, how can you possibly know whether or not you've needed it? It could be a revelation for your workflow for all you know. To remain close-minded on the subject seems stupid to me. And if you are so confident in your abilities, how about a link to some of your work so we can all see just how much you know and how well you are able to apply it?
Again , missed the point, I never said it improved workflow, there is a big difference between something being a worthwhile upgrade / update, that add's to their workflow, but for me, improving workflow is making life easier, making things better in the way I do things, and this update doesn't do that at all. Colour mixer channels maybe the only improvement I can get on board with so they relate to the colour of the clips I use, but i've never even thought about that once in all the years I use Cubase.

I am still waiting for them to overhaul the automation system, it is AWFUL right now, and they need a more user friendly approach to it. Also, they need to update and sort out the video import function, such a limited array of supported formats.

And lastly, why the hell do I need to post up a link to my work to prove anything to a nobody like you about my ability with Cubase. You up your own a$$ much to be judge and jury on how someone uses a DAW ? We all use them differently and people don't share the same opinions on everything, or are you THAT arrogant that you cannot accept other people don't see things your way. Must be a hard life you lead banging your head against things on a daily basis.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

all they had to do was enable the rename of plugins in lists ...
Being able to do lists/structures of plugins was what remedied the VST3 'single folder' / obscure categorization for me.

Now.. if only one could name plugins in a coherent way I'd be more than happy.. should be peanuts but I'd pay for this feature alone..

Yes - I am somewhat a control freak..

__K__ wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:29 pm all they had to do was enable the rename of plugins in lists ...
Being able to do lists/structures of plugins was what remedied the VST3 'single folder' / obscure categorization for me.

Now.. if only one could name plugins in a coherent way I'd be more than happy.. should be peanuts but I'd pay for this feature alone..

Just rename them in Explorer. I do it all the time as I hate having x64 after all the names.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

If you mess with the names you beg for problems with the mediabay, as you have to copy/move prestes do different folders there then.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:32 pm
__K__ wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:29 pm all they had to do was enable the rename of plugins in lists ...

Just rename them in Explorer. I do it all the time as I hate having x64 after all the names.
The problem I found is that plugins are updated regularly, and if you own a lot and like to keep them up to date, you're constantly having to stop and remember to rename them. I've just gone back to not doing this at all. Wanting to rename plugins in the DAW is about avoiding hassle and having to remember to constantly rename plugin .dll's is a huge hassle.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:32 pm Rename them in Explorer. I do it all the time as I hate having x64 after all the names.
Please expand on this. Do you simply rename the dll? I didn't think that would work and would cause issues. Thank you for any info.
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 10, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED), Yamaha CS2x (Custom Mapped).

Yes. It causes Issues with the presets in the mediabay

mitchiemasha wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:12 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:32 pm Rename them in Explorer. I do it all the time as I hate having x64 after all the names.
Please expand on this. Do you simply rename the dll? I didn't think that would work and would cause issues. Thank you for any info.
Yes, just right click and rename, never had an issue.

I think I rename most of them TBH. I recall recently changing the Valhalla ones to ensure consistency in the naming,
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rasmusklump wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:36 pm Yes. It causes Issues with the presets in the mediabay
I don't use presets or mediabay so have to take your word for it.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:46 pm
mitchiemasha wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:12 pm
Yes, just right click and rename, never had an issue.

I think I rename most of them TBH. I recall recently changing the Valhalla ones to ensure consistency in the naming,
Does this work with VST3 plugins? I thought those had a name and category embedded into the file. This is at least my experience with the ones I have.

So is this upgrade worth it?

Bones, I mean something that adds small variations to timing, pitch bend, and ccs on a per note basis. Not a generative sequencer.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

OK, that makes sense and it is something I used all the time in ORION, mostly to randomise velocities, which is easy enough too do with my shaky mouse hand in Cubase.
LeVzi wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:37 amAgain , missed the point, I never said it improved workflow, there is a big difference between something being a worthwhile upgrade / update, that add's to their workflow, but for me, improving workflow is making life easier, making things better in the way I do things, and this update doesn't do that at all.
Yes, it does, if you will let it. Comparative EQ should speed up the mixing process and improve the quality of the results but you'd need to actually use it to work that out. It's a tool that makes sense if you understand the production process.
I am still waiting for them to overhaul the automation system, it is AWFUL right now, and they need a more user friendly approach to it.
I think it's great - intuitive, easy and fast. It's one of the things I enjoy most about Cubase.
Also, they need to update and sort out the video import function, such a limited array of supported formats.
Maybe that's because it's an audio tool and the video import presumes you'll have some control over the format you intend to use. i.e. It's not there so you can download other people's videos from the 'net and put music to them, it's there so you can take your own, original video and time up audio to it. Which is to say it is there for professional use more than for consumer use.
And lastly, why the hell do I need to post up a link to my work to prove anything to a nobody like you about my ability with Cubase.
You are telling us you know what you're doing, even though the stuff you are saying suggests you don't, so posting a link to some of your music would allow people to gauge exactly how far they should trust anything you have to say. It seems like a reasonable thing to me. And who knows, it might lead to some constructive critique that allows you to improve your skills? Stranger things have happened.
You up your own a$$ much to be judge and jury on how someone uses a DAW ? We all use them differently and people don't share the same opinions on everything, or are you THAT arrogant that you cannot accept other people don't see things your way.
Quite the opposite, I am constantly looking for ways to improve my own processes and understanding other people's processes is a great way to do that. Sometimes winkling those insights out of people can be a challenge but now and then there is a useful payoff so I persevere.
Must be a hard life you lead banging your head against things on a daily basis.
You have no idea.
3ptguitarist wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:16 pmSo is this upgrade worth it?
Depends on your needs, really.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:14 pm Bones, I mean something that adds small variations to timing, pitch bend, and ccs on a per note basis. Not a generative sequencer.
You can do that with the Logical Editor.
More BPM please

BONES wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:01 am
LeVzi wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:37 amAgain , missed the point, I never said it improved workflow, there is a big difference between something being a worthwhile upgrade / update, that add's to their workflow, but for me, improving workflow is making life easier, making things better in the way I do things, and this update doesn't do that at all.
Yes, it does, if you will let it. Comparative EQ should speed up the mixing process and improve the quality of the results but you'd need to actually use it to work that out. It's a tool that makes sense if you understand the production process.
Maybe it does add something to those who want it, but Cubase users who do just fine haven't had it, and I didn't see an outcry for it. And what you deem should speed things up, doesn't mean it will. I've managed without it this far, and will do until I upgrade to V11 and its there anyway. Hey, who knows, I might even use it.
LeVzi wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:37 amI am still waiting for them to overhaul the automation system, it is AWFUL right now, and they need a more user friendly approach to it.
I think it's great - intuitive, easy and fast. It's one of the things I enjoy most about Cubase.
Makes me wonder if you even use it. And if you do, drawing straight lines doesn't count :roll: If you think it's perfect and easy and fast to use ? :roll:
LeVzi wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:37 am Also, they need to update and sort out the video import function, such a limited array of supported formats.
Maybe that's because it's an audio tool and the video import presumes you'll have some control over the format you intend to use. i.e. It's not there so you can download other people's videos from the 'net and put music to them, it's there so you can take your own, original video and time up audio to it. Which is to say it is there for professional use more than for consumer use.
Not as simple as that, in this day and age of 4K video recording on smartphones, the format (by default) is not something Cubase can import, so you need to convert to .264 , which adds another step to the process, where as a simple VST called VIDPLAYER can handle it. Hardly a great advert for a £600 DAW that boasts video import. But from what I hear, they are overhauling this function. Oh, btw, there are more uses for importing video than just simply matching music to it :roll: :roll: :roll:

LeVzi wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:37 am And lastly, why the hell do I need to post up a link to my work to prove anything to a nobody like you about my ability with Cubase.
You are telling us you know what you're doing, even though the stuff you are saying suggests you don't, so posting a link to some of your music would allow people to gauge exactly how far they should trust anything you have to say. It seems like a reasonable thing to me. And who knows, it might lead to some constructive critique that allows you to improve your skills? Stranger things have happened.
Actually, I'd say the same about you, just stating something works well for you and its great is hardly testament to your own abilities, so I'd tend to lean towards the word schill over guru. But I don't actually care of your ability within Cubase, nor would I ask you to prove your worth. I've seen enough to form my own opinion on your abilities.
LeVzi wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:37 am You up your own a$$ much to be judge and jury on how someone uses a DAW ? We all use them differently and people don't share the same opinions on everything, or are you THAT arrogant that you cannot accept other people don't see things your way.
Quite the opposite, I am constantly looking for ways to improve my own processes and understanding other people's processes is a great way to do that. Sometimes winkling those insights out of people can be a challenge but now and then there is a useful payoff so I persevere.
Well if you want to see other peoples processes and learn from them, wind your neck in, and ask. It's a lot easier than saying "you know nothing" "prove your worth" , that just makes you look a **** again, and lets face it, no one likes a ****.

I am not going back n forth forever regarding the 10.5 update, it's simply, to me, a light update and not of any value TO ME. And I may well miss it out, BUT in order to keep upgrade prices lower at the point of purchasing V11 when it arrives, I may well get the update in the summer sale. Lets face it, Steinberg are not going to do much for Black Friday.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”