[feature request] Track heights

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are you happy with the way Bitwig's handling track heights?

The way I work is I try to have arrangement in compact (let's call it "single") height view, using the lower zone panels for editing midi (or Shift+Tab to the dedicated Edit view in multi-track mode), automations, devices, etc. as I think this is the *intended* or *suggested* workflow.

But once in a while I'd like to briefly expand just 1 or 2 tracks to the "double height" view or any other custom size, to see the actual MIDI info or audio waveform in the context of bigger arrangement.

But to do that, I need to switch ALL tracks into the "double height" mode, which a) reduces the numer of tracks I see on the screen, b) I sort of hate how Bitwig's arrangement looks in this view, because it seems like the clips are "cartoonish" (for lack of better word), c) I still can't expand MIDI tracks to be any higher, like I can with audio tracks.

I mean the options that are there are mostly fine (with the exception of non-resizeable MIDI tracks), but they're being kept separate.

I'd also like for the Group tracks to have the possibility to make them even smaller than "single" height (say 1/2 or 1/4 size), especially in the Clip Launcher view, but also in Arrangement if I use them only for organisatinal purposes rather than to operate on the meta-clips.

I'd love to simply be able to set any track to "any" height: with snapping to 1/4, 1/2, single, double + custom.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

+1

+1

I just take that handle to change the hight. Works for each track independently...
What is way more important than requesting features which are there already, is a logarithmic waveform display or at least a vertical zoom. Bitwig is not only used for zero dynamics pop music...
Different hights.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:14 pmI just take that handle to change the hight. Works for each track independently...
You're missing the point - I'm asking for being able to reduce the height of Shakuhachi and Audio5 tracks to single/half size :)

Definitely agree on the data zoom (as it's called in S1 for example).
Music tech enthusiast

You want them just smaller than they are now? Why not, but that would still allow to set the track heights individually in "Use large track height" mode...
Might be even easier to implement, than the ability to have a changeable small mode...
The feature request then would be a bit different, simply allow the minimum height as its in the overview mode or even smaller (the minimum size could adapt to the number of tracks in the arrangement to a certain extend...)

Perfectly happy as is.

No problems with track heights.
I would like to be able to extend the automation lanes more, though.

track heights could definetely use some love.
I'd love modifierkey+mousewheel adjustable trackheights. One for selected track, one for all tracks. And of course user-assignable.

Reaper has this, and it is amazing. I have it like this:
- ctrl+alt+mousewheel = zoom-in/out all track heights
- shift + mousewheel = zoom currently selected track track-height.

+1. I mostly work with all tracks collapsed and have the double-track height feature on a shortcut key. But I’d really prefer that shortcut simply expanded ONE track. With a Modifier key to make it expand ALL tracks on the rare occasion I actually want that.

Yokai wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:35 pm+1. I mostly work with all tracks collapsed and have the double-track height feature on a shortcut key. But I’d really prefer that shortcut simply expanded ONE track. With a Modifier key to make it expand ALL tracks on the rare occasion I actually want that.
Exactly! :tu:
Music tech enthusiast

Definitely need some arrange page navigation love, track heights / zoom toggle / etc...

+1

I'd really like to be able to toggle selected track(s) to a custom height via key command.

+1

Yokai wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:35 pm +1. I mostly work with all tracks collapsed and have the double-track height feature on a shortcut key. But I’d really prefer that shortcut simply expanded ONE track. With a Modifier key to make it expand ALL tracks on the rare occasion I actually want that.
Yes this. The current functionality could definitely stand to be improved on.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Return to “Bitwig”