SFZ format documentation

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bjoerns Sample Mapper

Just noticed that this post is a year old already, time fly and I didn't imagine that at some point I had the possibility to work on such thing. Plogue's people, and now with DSmolken, started an interesting documentation project, now also open to contributions via git on GitHub.
Our website is growing, I applied some big changes yesterday, hope to get some feedback to see if something can be improved and/or get some new ideas.

It really is a great resource for all SFZ users!! 😎👍🏼
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

@DSmolken
A suggestion and a question:

1) SUGGESTION
Again, thanks for this great resource.

I am curious as to why gain_ccNNN is buried under "sfz1_modulations" and not also listed in the
"SFZ v1 Opcodes - Performance Parameters: Amplifier" section? i.e.

SfzGain.png

2) QUESTION
I was working on an accordion mapping and wanted to increase the volume by a few db via Aftertouch- this was the way my old Korg X3 workstation handled its Accordion preset :)
Currently, I am achieving this via "gain_cc001" along with an "Aftertouch to CC" utility plugin (i.e. https://jstuff.wordpress.com/js-midi-tools/). Is there currently any way to do this natively via SFZ scripting? I believe not, but would like to consult the experts. I am using Plogue's sforzando. Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks, I think we just got the gain in the wrong place, probably from having reorganized and moved things around a few too many times. We'll put it where it belongs. I'll also check whether it should really be gain_cc or gain_oncc... I know I'm using gain_oncc in something I'm working on now, but that might be an ARIA alias and gain_cc might be the spec standard.

Never used aftertouch, I just remember it being a big deal on keyboards in the 90s, but apparently you can use MIDI CC 129 for channel aftertouch, and CC 130 for polyphonic aftertouch:

https://sfzformat.com/extensions/aria/midi_cc.html

So try gain_(on)cc129=3, or 130 instead of 129 if your controller sends poly aftertouch messages, and let us know if that works.

Thanks for the thorough response.
Will try the cc129/cc130 suggestion tonight and get back you :)

gain_cc129=5

did the trick...

Thanks! :)

Cool, glad to help out. We'll get that gain opcode moved...

Does your accordion have a lot of controls or features, by the way? The closest thing I've done to accordion samples was make a fake one from saxophone samples. Hey, they're both reeds, right?

MusicMayor wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:07 pm I am curious as to why gain_ccNNN is buried under "sfz1_modulations" and not also listed in the
"SFZ v1 Opcodes - Performance Parameters: Amplifier" section?
The various SFZ version tables are generated by a script that retrieves data from a YAML database file and by design the modulations are nested inside the opcode they modulate inside that database. Unfortunately nested recursion functions are not yet supported and I need more time to rewrite the code to implement that feature. However that issue is at the top of our TODO.
BTW, help is appreciated, it's an open-source community project.
If you find other issues feel free to use our issue tracker, if you don't mind to register on GitHub.

Vibrato tutorial now expanded to include humanization, asymmetrical vibrato for things like saxes and guitars, and filter wobble. https://sfzformat.com/tutorials/vibrato

Code: Select all

The examples here use SFZ 2 spec numbered LFOs, rather than the ]dedicated pitch, volume and filter LFOs](/opcodes/amplfo_depth) and envelopes of SFZ 1.
You've a typo there.

Thanks, should be fixed now!

:tu:

And legato, including how to implement true sampled legato.

https://sfzformat.com/tutorials/legato

Next, I plan to try one more improvement to the hi-hat muting stuff.

Thanks! Very appreciated! :wink:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Wonderful!!! Thank you @DSmolken!!
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”