Best plugin to de-harsh some vocals

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Perhaps not to deharsh vocals but to help boost/amp, smooth compress, and help make vocals stand in the mix, you could try the Vocal King. https://www.jhudstudio.com/paid-plugins

Klinke1 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:01 am -Schepps Omni DS module
Thank you so much! You are the man!
Winner of 15th HOFA Xmas Mix Contest - 2024
2nd place winner of Boz Digital Labs Intl. Mix Contest - 2016

one of the best de-ess tools and surely most underrated, imo is

hornet sybila

Also:

- rx7 deess module
- waves sibilance
- any good dynamic eq (eg FF pro Q3)
- weiss softube deesser
- ssl vocal strip

also do not forget:
- manually editing waveforms and/or automating track volume fader
- improve sibilance in context of mix with track fader balance and compression
- stacking many tools/approaches as they can deal with different parts of the annoying
frequencies

I would +1 a lot of what has been said.

But a simpler solution too:
Free TDR Nova, 1 node of dynamic EQ around 4k with a wide bell (watch the analyzer for accurate placement but it doesn't actually matter that much if you make the bell wide). Free and easy, and about as good as anything else.

Yeah I'd be reaching for F6 for this, and looking at dessers if the sibilance is an issue. Also a lot of automation could be useful if certain areas are hotter than others. But firstly I'd just hit a normal EQ and try to find those problem areas alone, remember you can split a vocal up into tracks and you don't have to attenuate the whole thing if it's just sections that are worse than others.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Another vote for F6 or any other dynamic EQ. You also want a good deesser. I also use Soothe as well to handle that last little bit. It a multi-step process.

Ramm Darkened wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:20 pm
Klinke1 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:01 am -Schepps Omni DS module
Thank you so much! You are the man!
Yeah, this worked for me recently. There is a “Harsh Vocal” preset in there that got me pretty close.

trmupstage wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:31 pm Another vote for F6 or any other dynamic EQ. You also want a good deesser. I also use Soothe as well to handle that last little bit. It a multi-step process.
Soothe is so expensive.
Winner of 15th HOFA Xmas Mix Contest - 2024
2nd place winner of Boz Digital Labs Intl. Mix Contest - 2016

Airwindows Tape
Airwindows Smooth
CLA Mixhub (1176 Comp)
Dub it up blacker than dread

Ozone Spectral Shaper
TDR DeEdger

They're like Soothe, but they're also expensive

Toneboosters Sibalance v3 is no longer available as a single plugin, but it's part of bus tools 3 for EUR49 which is decent considering that you get a bunch of other useful stuff (Barricade 3, etc).

There's demo versions available.

Return to “Effects”