HOWTO macOS notarization (plugins, app, pkg installers)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I only want to notarize a given component. It does not work, even after removing initial Library/Audio/Plugins/Component path. Just the SPAN.component inside the ZIP. Says Invalid Package. What is wrong?

I've just tried to notarize pre-existing DMG, and it worked fine. +Stapled fine.

Aleksey Vaneev wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:12 am How is "hardened runtime" is enabled via clang++ switches?
I can’t answer your question, but for reference, hardened runtime is not applicable for plugins. Unless they’re standalones.
Arne @ noteperformer.com

It could be the SDK you are linking against

Aleksey Vaneev wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:54 am I only want to notarize a given component. It does not work, even after removing initial Library/Audio/Plugins/Component path. Just the SPAN.component inside the ZIP. Says Invalid Package. What is wrong?
Did you retrieve the notarisation log from Apple’s servers?
Arne @ noteperformer.com

The Apple-hassle continues. Today I wasted another 4 hours of development time with broken tools...

Now a new obstacle has appeared.

If I run codesign with command-line I get this error message:

codesign -s 'Developer ID Application: DeveloperName (P4217013)' Icarus.vst
Icarus.vst: invalid or unsupported format for signature

If I run codesign on the .component it works.

Does code-signing on the .VST not longer work?
Do I miss something?

Thanks in advance,
Markus
Last edited by Markus Krause on Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I was able to fix it. The compiler somehow did place a .cstemp file within the .vst. . After deleting it it did work

Further findings: You needed to login to developer.apple.com and accept a new contract. Otherwise notarization upload resulted in an error

Got a quick questions about what needs notarizing...

I create packages using pkgbuild and then combine then into a single installer package using productbuild. Question is: can I get away with just notarizing the package output from productbuild or do I need to notarize the sub packages created with pkgbuild as well? I also then add this installer package to a dmg - I'm assuming this doesn't need notarizing?

keithwood wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:21 am Got a quick questions about what needs notarizing...

I create packages using pkgbuild and then combine then into a single installer package using productbuild. Question is: can I get away with just notarizing the package output from productbuild or do I need to notarize the sub packages created with pkgbuild as well? I also then add this installer package to a dmg - I'm assuming this doesn't need notarizing?
Check this:
e-phonic wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:49 pmYou can find some info about notarizing plugins here:
https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... n_workflow
From that link:
The notary service generates a ticket for the top-level file that you specify, as well as each nested file. For example, if you submit a disk image that contains a signed installer package with an app bundle inside, the notarization service generates tickets for the disk image, installer package, and app bundle.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

keithwood wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:21 am Got a quick questions about what needs notarizing...

You only need to notarise the finished .pkg, not the sub packages.

EDIT: Actually, in this case I think you only need to notarise the .dmg. The outmost container is what's notarised.
Arne @ noteperformer.com

NAIVE question - I have only been at this a short time and never come across an OS change like this - how are you guys testing your plugins in OS Catalina? Are you running the whole thing in a VM? If so, how do you know the VM is giving you the correct result? And, finally, what Catalina-compatible DAW(s) are you testing them in?

Fender19 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:15 pm NAIVE question - I have only been at this a short time and never come across an OS change like this - how are you guys testing your plugins in OS Catalina? Are you running the whole thing in a VM? If so, how do you know the VM is giving you the correct result? And, finally, what Catalina-compatible DAW(s) are you testing them in?
I've installed Catalina on an external SSD and I'm using it with an old MacBook Pro (2012).
I've tested Logic and Live so far but I didn't bother testing other DAWs as the main concern was Gatekeeper. I also run tests with auvaltool and pluginval.

audiothing wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:46 pm I also run tests with auvaltool and pluginval.
Thanks for the info. Auvaltool from what version of Xcode?

Fender19 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:06 pm Thanks for the info. Auvaltool from what version of Xcode?
Auvaltool is not a part of Xcode. It is a part of OS.

Code: Select all

$ which auvaltool
/usr/bin/auvaltool

Fender19 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:06 pm
audiothing wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:46 pm I also run tests with auvaltool and pluginval.
Thanks for the info. Auvaltool from what version of Xcode?
I don't have the ssd here with me, but I've not installed Xcode on Catalina. However, I have a version of auvaltool (re-signed for debugging) that I use for my tests: version 1.6.1a1.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”