Companies with Ridiculous Transfer Fees (Edited title)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Transfer fees, I know some companies do it, others don't, personally I am against a large TF, I don't see why it's there.

But off the top of my head, PA do it, iLok transfers, any others ?

PA - $20 per plugin
iLok - ?

I'd like to fill in the blanks if possible, for reference.
Last edited by LeVzi on Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Ah I didnt know about that post, awesome thanks.

OK I changed the topic title, because I feel this is something worth discussing, and i'm mainly aiming this at Plugin Alliance.

Some plugins are worth less than $10, and people want to sell them, but the buyer forks out another $20 in a transfer fee. I wanted to buy a plugin from someone that cost $7, but would have to pay $20 for the PA transfer fee, sorry but wtf is that.

And before someone says "Companies need to make their money" I thought their sales pitch in the first place did that. I don't have a single paid for PA vst, nor will I buy one, their $20 policy is a joke tbh.

Don't forget FXpansion with their 50$ transfer fee.

Acustica transfer fees can often be $100+ because the transfer fee can be the difference between a sale price and full price.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Kongru wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:58 am Acustica transfer fees can often be $100+ because the transfer fee can be the difference between a sale price and full price.
Calenberger wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:23 am Don't forget FXpansion with their 50$ transfer fee.
WTF on both, especially acoustica, basically transfer fees are to make the price the same as a new plugin, so no one can actually get a bargin there, what the actual FK ?

FXPansion can forget it too, $50 to transfer a license and an email address, ridiculous. I thought PA were bad enough, this is nuts. I need to go through that list in the other thread, these companies got no excuse for these ridiculous transfer fees.

Melda is 20% of regular price

2caudio also has high transfer fees but I can't find the info on their site

Calenberger wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:23 am Don't forget FXpansion with their 50$ transfer fee.
the move from Guru to Geist - where they took all the things customers thought (and suggested) were going into the next Guru update, rebadged to Geist with a crap upgrade price put me off them. i thought that was completely unethical

Is also important to note that not all companies with some high transfer fee are necessarily "bad", I mean it might be there but sometimes there is a difference with the treatment and how they treat their customers.

I agree and I'm against some cases where some big corporations does business (more like a dirty move) in order to make money from the copy protection yearly fee, dongles or in case you loose your license you would need to pay an Exaggerated amount of money if you want "your liscences" again. Examples:viewtopic.php?f=16&t=504402&p=7071973#p7071973

But some independent developers can't be really considered as "bad guys" for good reasons:

1. The transfer fees is an agreement we choose from the very beginning; so if you know how the company/developer operates then why would you complain about the company about the transfer fee if you decided to Agree in first place? some companies/developers don't like the idea to deal with constant license transfer and offers the demo, is almost always available in many cases. sometimes we can question that, but not always we should have a bad conclusion about that.

2. The Treatment with their customers. How affordable they offers those products even with intro prices, sales and affordability in some cases, lifetime free updates, constant support ext.

3. No dependency of third party "license managers" or copy protection that makes the user completely dependent of the company in order to use the software they already paid for = No Product. So there is a big difference.

That's why even when I do buy from some companies perhaps with some high transfer fee, I can't complain about some of then for understandable reasons.

tbh I dont check transfer fees tbh when I buy something, I am guilty of that, but in the endless search for a bargin, you hit that brick wall of high transfer fees that stops me buying a lot more. Some of them are extortionate, and that puts me right off the company.

But you are right too, just because of high transfer fees, doesn't make the company a bad company in their product or support, that is a point worth making. But I think they should allow lesser transfer fees as a whole. I think they'd have better business.

i would add Waves to this list. technically, they don't have a transfer fee, but you have to have an up-to-date WUP which is effectively a transfer fee.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:27 am i would add Waves to this list. technically, they don't have a transfer fee, but you have to have an up-to-date WUP which is effectively a transfer fee.
Yeah I am not happy with the WUP system either tbh, They seem a bit lost with it atm , not sure what they are trying to achieve.

LeVzi wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:42 am
Burillo wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:27 am i would add Waves to this list. technically, they don't have a transfer fee, but you have to have an up-to-date WUP which is effectively a transfer fee.
Yeah I am not happy with the WUP system either tbh, They seem a bit lost with it atm , not sure what they are trying to achieve.
Waves do have a transfer fee (5% of RRP), so you have to pay that in addition to any applicable WUP.

The iLok transfer fee is $25, from memory.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Return to “Effects”