Flow (ElectroProg - Seismic Zoning)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

seismic1 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:26 am As threatened/promised/hinted at, here is the 2019 Master (using T-Racks5). I've pushed the levels a little higher, aiming for about -13 LUFS. I completed it 6 weeks ago, but haven't had time to upload it until yesterday.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/flow ... ks5-master

DR - 8
I see this song has a long history with a long list of successive changes. This
made me curious! :neutral:

And yeah - I was not surprised to hear a very entertaining and
diverting track, which nicely develops and pulls me into a
somewhat magic area! This is a great song! And indeed, 6 minutes
are almost certainly too short! :tu:

What can be improved? I think nothing! :clap:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

folderol wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:16 pm You just can't get away from some people can you :lol:
I enjoyed it in all its iterations, maybe you should change the name to 'Clone' :hyper: :tu:
Thanks very much for listening again, folderol. Glad it stood the test of time for you :)

Name changes are definitely not on the agenda :hihi:

Frantz wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:39 am
seismic1 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:19 am I've been very busy at work with an infrastructure migration for the last 15 months
Let me guess. You are moving stuff into the Cloud at work.
Among other things. Database tech. migrations. Babysitting. You name it.

I was talking to some IT dude in a bar in Bangkok 4 or 5 years ago, and he was banging on about "big data". Turns out he was talking about a few TB. I don't get out of bed these days for less than 5PB.
Can you imagine the egress charges on that at 4 cents a GB?

https://www.nefiber.com/blog/cloud-egress-charges/

Joni Mitchell had it all figured out in 1969 :wink:
Frantz wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:39 am
seismic1 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:19 am There is also the imminent problem of Windows7 EOL. I have started work specifying the components for a new PC, and hope to start putting it together before the end of this month, so it's probably going to be 2020 before I have the thing running the way I want it to. I may have to move to a new DAW :(
I am postponing dealing with Win 7 EOL but will also have to deal with it as some point next year. :(
I ordered the new machine last week. Core i7-9700. SSD. I'm going to need a robust backup solution, 'cos when those SSDs fail, they do so in near silence, and I'm still unconvinced by their reliability.
A bit like those LED lightbulbs. Guaranteed for 10 years, unless you throw the receipts away. I've had 3 fail in just over 2 years.

seismic1 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:54 am Can you imagine the egress charges on that at 4 cents a GB?

https://www.nefiber.com/blog/cloud-egress-charges/
That link will come in handy for some discussions at work. Thanks. :)
seismic1 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:54 am I'm going to need a robust backup solution, 'cos when those SSDs fail, they do so in near silence, and I'm still unconvinced by their reliability.
I am happy with my Synology NAS and Crashplan cloud backups although I never got around to setting up drive imaging.

listened to all the mixes on page one ...
reviewing my favorite ...

flow 20171203 ;
it's a really decent mix that's hard to find fault with ...
i loved the intro ; the changes at the 1.00+ mark jarred me a bit , but the way you resolved back to the beat , and faded in the intro motif brought me back ...
probably would have worked better for me if you had faded that syncopation in at 1.00+ ...

i absolutely loved the sine lead motif ...

/me wondering why i didn't notice this , like in 2012 ?...

Really cool beginning. Digging that bass sound a lot and the percussion around it. Still engaging throughout the track.

enroe wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:47 pm
seismic1 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:26 am As threatened/promised/hinted at, here is the 2019 Master (using T-Racks5). I've pushed the levels a little higher, aiming for about -13 LUFS. I completed it 6 weeks ago, but haven't had time to upload it until yesterday.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/flow ... ks5-master

DR - 8
I see this song has a long history with a long list of successive changes. This
made me curious! :neutral:

And yeah - I was not surprised to hear a very entertaining and
diverting track, which nicely develops and pulls me into a
somewhat magic area! This is a great song! And indeed, 6 minutes
are almost certainly too short! :tu:

What can be improved? I think nothing! :clap:
I wrote this in May 2010, (re)mixed it in 2012, and that should have been the end of the story. Loz at Crimson Sun Audio offered to remix it again in 2013, and that was the biggest single incremental change in the sound/character of this track.

Since then there have been at least 6 different masters of this track, each with different qualities and characteristics.

My thinking with the latest T-Racks5 masters is to produce a set of tracks for the next album with a fairly unified overall sonic profile in terms of EQ and leveling. I was aiming for -13LUFS for each track and DR values between 8 and 10. I have 5 tracks completed and another 3 or 4 still to remix and master. These levels are a little louder than what I normally aim for and are a nod to a more "modern" sound although I'm not aiming to win any loudness war here. I have been using Elevate recently but I find T-Racks to be more intuitive.

I think there is always room for improvement, but time is the limiting factor.

Thanks very much for listening and the great comments. Glad you enjoyed it :D

seismic1
Good composition where sounds fits nicely together. Liked the lead, arpegiator and the drums alot.

id Sub

Frantz wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:05 am
I am happy with my Synology NAS and Crashplan cloud backups although I never got around to setting up drive imaging.
I'm looking at buying a NAS unit sometime soon. RAID 5 seems like a cost/performance/reliability sweet-spot for home use, but I've seen enough double-disk failures to realise that reliability is the most important factor.

experimental.crow wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:02 am listened to all the mixes on page one ...
reviewing my favorite ...

flow 20171203 ;
it's a really decent mix that's hard to find fault with ...
i loved the intro ; the changes at the 1.00+ mark jarred me a bit , but the way you resolved back to the beat , and faded in the intro motif brought me back ...
probably would have worked better for me if you had faded that syncopation in at 1.00+ ...

i absolutely loved the sine lead motif ...

/me wondering why i didn't notice this , like in 2012 ?...
That's real dedication, right there :lol:

I wrote this in mid-2010, about 16 months after I became a "lounge-producer". No space in the bedroom for electronic installations, and the missus likes her sleep. I didn't get around to mixing this until a couple of years later, and that mix is the first track in this thread.

I didn't really start thinking about "transitions" until I had about 30 tracks under my belt, but this was one of my considered attempts at contrast, although not as dramatic as "Divide and Conquer" where I really painted the town red.

You suggested fading in the syncopated arp. I listened to that again yesterday and thought that maybe prolonging the bass synth from the intro, with a fade-out might do the job.

I'm putting a new Win10 DAW system together right now. If I manage to resurrect EnergyXT2 and my 32-bit plugins from the old machine, I'll take a look at grafting something onto the unmastered wav.

...engrossed in the Olympic Games?

Thanks very much for listening, and for your comments. Glad you liked it :)

jackoo wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:43 pm Really cool beginning. Digging that bass sound a lot and the percussion around it. Still engaging throughout the track.
Glad you enjoyed it jackoo. The bass sound is coming from HahahaCS33. One of Z3R0T0N1N's presets.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting :)

idSubmerged wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:36 pm seismic1
Good composition where sounds fits nicely together. Liked the lead, arpegiator and the drums alot.

id Sub
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, idS. Glad you enjoyed it. Merry Christmas to you :)

Had another listen to your track. I really like that one. You used ersdrums vst for drums..I recognised the sound of this plugin, not bad for free stuff.. and cubix - an evergreen also. Nice work!

Really good listen Tim - enjoyed it the whole way through a couple of times.

Slow build / ebb and flow is very well judged.

Texture / combination of sounds in there is absolutely superb.

Love the soundstage as well - so many people (including me sometimes) forget about 'front to back' but that aspect works very well here.

I always tend to listen to KVR in my studio (breaks whilst I'm working) so I have a terrible habit of playing along with all the tracks I hear! The one thing that didn't gel 100% with my ear was the melodic content at times. It's good / very good, but I felt that little tiny tweaks here and there could have improved some motifs even further...

Melodies - very individual taste of course and I often listen to JMJ and attempt to change some of his tunes and he's done alright! :)
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Enjoyed listening to this exceptional effort. It builds nicely and has a hypnotic balance of energy and spaciness.

I’ve never heard this before, but of course I wasn’t born yet when you posted it. :hihi:

I might be dead before the last post about it. :o

Return to “Music Cafe”