Roli new... something coming to Kickstarter. Soon. (LUMI)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

monomaker wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:14 am
PeterP_swe wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:39 am Synthesia is a bit too amateurish, fiddly to set up and doesn't have the song library necessary.
Don't agree on any of these points, you can get up and running in under a minute and it takes MIDI files, so the potential song library is vast. Don't understand what aspect seems amateurish to you, I've only tried it very briefly but it seemed the complete opposite of what you're describing.
It's probably easy to get going if you have a digital piano with built in sound. It's not easy to set up if you want to use a midi keyboard. It didn't even have a built in sound engine last I tried and getting some sort of VST instrument going with low latency was fiddly. I had to install midi loopback extension in Windows and run Cubase in the background.

And with the song library I meant that there is no clear progression path if you want to learn, where it picks some easy song and build up from there. Each song doesn't have multiple difficulty levels built in. It's not a smooth experience like in Rocksmith or Rockband.

It also doesn't come with a bunch of well known songs. You have to buy them separately and they're not cheap.

PeterP_swe wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:23 am
It's probably easy to get going if you have a digital piano with built in sound. It's not easy to set up if you want to use a midi keyboard. It didn't even have a built in sound engine last I tried and getting some sort of VST instrument going with low latency was fiddly. I had to install midi loopback extension in Windows and run Cubase in the background.
Sure, I had assumed you'd be comparing like for like and using a light up keyboard, all of which come with built in sounds AFAIK. Without one I expect it's not such a great experience, and certainly not comparable to the Roli device - the point here is having light up keys to tell you what to play. The software is designed specifically for use with such keyboards, the website tells you which models are supported.

Songs are free, type *songname*.mid file in Google!

monomaker wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:10 am Sure, I had assumed you'd be comparing like for like and using a light up keyboard, all of which come with built in sounds AFAIK. Without one I expect it's not such a great experience, and certainly not comparable to the Roli device - the point here is having light up keys to tell you what to play. The software is designed specifically for use with such keyboards, the website tells you which models are supported.
I was trying to use NI Komplete S61mk2, which has lights. It wasn't supported.
monomaker wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:10 am Songs are free, type *songname*.mid file in Google!
Legal grey zone I guess. Many of them needs editing before they are usable as well.

I've been checking out the page for this again lately, hopefully it won't be long before they are released. For me, the size and the fact that other blocks can snap on make it perfect for the snug fit under my monitor. The lights may be cool for practicing in keys out of my usual habits as well. I'm a little surprised they didn't include Y axis modulation on the keys. Actually if these were like Touch keys it would be perfect, those can even do vibrato or other x direction modulation.

^Well, I have to admit it's a pretty dope product - both the hardware and the app with notation view, among others. Whatever Roli makes, it creates the best products possible (and expensive).
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:40 pm ^Well, I have to admit it's a pretty dope product - both the hardware and the app with notation view, among others. Whatever Roli makes, it creates the best products possible (and expensive).
I think even without the lights I'd be interested because the form factor is so good.Being able to snap them together and half four octaves in the size of what is often mini keys, is great. And these keys actually aren't much smaller than regular. Also putting a couple together, possibly also with other blocks is nice to only have the one connection going to the computer.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:22 pm I'm a little surprised they didn't include Y axis modulation on the keys.
You are surprised? This would add to the cost and would make the product too expensive for the intended market(s). The fact that this has polyphonic-aftertouch is remarkable enough, I think. :)
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:11 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:22 pm I'm a little surprised they didn't include Y axis modulation on the keys.
You are surprised? This would add to the cost and would make the product too expensive for the intended market(s). The fact that this has polyphonic-aftertouch is remarkable enough, I think. :)
Well it's not going to be all that cheap anyways. And other small form factor keyboards have polyphonic pressure like the CME keys. So yeah I'm a bit surprised there's no sensors for up/down. But then if they did up/down, then they should also do side to side, to allow a vibrato effect, like touch keys did. Maybe a newer version in the future will have that.

You mean the CME Xkeys? I've played one. The action is far from satisfactory (for use with aftertouch). It's on/off. Very hard to control the level of pressure, if near impossible. The LUMI keys are in a different league.
But then if they did up/down, then they should also do side to side, to allow a vibrato effect, like touch keys did.
Yeah, if they do 'that', they should also add 'that', and then add 'that' as well...press the bottom C note when it's lit red and you get free coffee, it's 'that' good. :D

The Touch Keys is lovely, again, I've played the original Touch Keys build into a Fatar midi keyboard, but the two products are aimed at completely different market segments. To wish for Seaboard RISE-like expression in a tiny plastic keyboard enclosure, is wishful thinking.

himalaya wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:05 am You mean the CME Xkeys? I've played one. The action is far from satisfactory (for use with aftertouch). It's on/off. Very hard to control the level of pressure, if near impossible. The LUMI keys are in a different league.
But then if they did up/down, then they should also do side to side, to allow a vibrato effect, like touch keys did.
Yeah, if they do 'that', they should also add 'that', and then add 'that' as well...press the bottom C note when it's lit red and you get free coffee, it's 'that' good. :D

The Touch Keys is lovely, again, I've played the original Touch Keys build into a Fatar midi keyboard, but the two products are aimed at completely different market segments. To wish for Seaboard RISE-like expression in a tiny plastic keyboard enclosure, is wishful thinking.
Yeah I don't love the pressure response on them either, just saying they are out there. I know it's wishful, just saying it would be cool! I'll buy at least one of the lumi keys, maybe two. I did actually see in a video from a recent trade show that they were planning a lumi pro next year. I wonder what that will bring. Maybe some of the stuff on my wishlist?

Well, stranger things have happened, so keep that wish alive! :D

himalaya wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:24 am Well, stranger things have happened, so keep that wish alive! :D
Hey I remember sending them a request when the original Seaboard Grand came out (I was thinking of getting one at the time), suggesting that they should have an expression in the up/down direction like the Haken. And it came with the rise! I'm sure I wasn't the only thinking that back then of course. But I'd like to think I am just slightly ahead of the curve of their hardware development. ;)

Whatever idea you have thought about, a company like Roli has come up with several versions of the same idea before it was even born in your mind. :D
There are some outlandish ideas born at Roli, I can tell you that much! :)

I don't doubt it. I'm really curious to see if this new Expressive E thing will be something I (or others) have never imagined.

It seems "soon" is tomorrow. I got an email from Roli last night with a 10% discount code for a new Lumi Keys. It's a unique code so I won't share it until after I've seen the price and decided whether or not to buy one. I like the idea of using it with my Seaboard and Lightpad Blocks, and having a keyboard with it's own lighting could be very handy on a dark stage, but it will need to be fairly cheap to tempt me because I don't really need it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”