Output - Introducing PORTAL: A Granular FX Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fractalism for Output Portal Portal

Kalamata Kid wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:10 pm ^^^
Oh, thanks for the clarification
I will be looking for a BF deal on Portal.
Someone is selling a license for $70 in the market place. New, no transfer.

perpetual3 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:16 pm
Kalamata Kid wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:10 pm ^^^
Oh, thanks for the clarification
I will be looking for a BF deal on Portal.
Someone is selling a license for $70 in the market place. New, no transfer.
IMO that's a bargain.
I bought it something above 100 from JRR (don't forget GROUP voucher).

Thanks for the Portal sale info.
I will wait this on out.

for those interested to buy it:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=534698&p=7574481&h ... l#p7574481

Got it for reduced price as well :D Been messing with it for a bit and I sort of got the hang of some of the parameters, but still trying to master it. Any input and tips as far as how to use it, and workflow? Also, the manual on their site doesn't say anything about what "shape" does so trying to figure that out.

https://support.output.com/support/solu ... n-controls
Last edited by Butwug on Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Butwug wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:27 am Got it for reduced price as well :D Been messing with it for a bit and I sort of got the hang of some of the parameters, but still trying to master it. Any input and tips as far as how to use it, and workflow? Also, the manual on their site doesn't say anything about what "shape" does so trying to figure that out. On the other hand, their website has "reverse" as a parameter, but don't see it on the plugin.

https://support.output.com/support/solu ... n-controls
'Shape' is the shape of each individual grains, the envelope of grains if you prefer.

As for the reverse of the grains, it is available on the right side under the Macro 2 knob: https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.freshdesk. ... 1560560517

Neon Breath wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:48 am
'Shape' is the shape of each individual grains, the envelope of grains if you prefer.

As for the reverse of the grains, it is available on the right side under the Macro 2 knob: https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.freshdesk. ... 1560560517

:dog: :lol: feel like such an idiot right now. I was so focused just on that panel in the main area I missed that. As far as shape, can you expand on that a bit if possible. One more question, if you can answer it. On the scale, what does “free” mean as far as pitch shifting? The other ones are semitones and steps in scale but curious what free is.

Butwug wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:27 am Got it for reduced price as well :D Been messing with it for a bit and I sort of got the hang of some of the parameters, but still trying to master it. Any input and tips as far as how to use it, and workflow?
I would suggest taking something like a sparse vocal loop so there are transients and it's easy to figure out which parts its playing back. Then set Portal to 100% wet and start playing with parameters one by one, concentrating on one group of parameters at a time. Once you get a feel for what each parameter does (not just on paper), play with randomization per grain (the diamond shapes) and modulation. When you turn delay on, you need to set the mix to below 100% wet or you will only hear the delayed signal. Working this way, I got a good hang of the plugin in a single evening. Every parameter is really quite straightforward, it's the combination that's complex. :)

Butwug wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:41 am
Neon Breath wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:48 am

:dog: :lol: feel like such an idiot right now. I was so focused just on that panel in the main area I missed that. As far as shape, can you expand on that a bit if possible. One more question, if you can answer it. On the scale, what does “free” mean as far as pitch shifting? The other ones are semitones and steps in scale but curious what free is.
No problem no stress.

Yes the 'free' means no scale at all for the grain pitch shifting. If you set it to Free, then you can pitch shift freely with numbers like 1.15, 3.49, -1,22, etc.... While the others lock it to the specific scale chosen.

ilmai wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:51 pm
I would suggest taking something like a sparse vocal loop so there are transients and it's easy to figure out which parts its playing back. Then set Portal to 100% wet and start playing with parameters one by one, concentrating on one group of parameters at a time. Once you get a feel for what each parameter does (not just on paper) play with randomization per grain (the diamond shapes) and modulation. When you turn delay on, you need to set the mix to below 100% wet or you will only hear the delayed signal. Working this way, I got a good hang of the plugin in a single evening. Every parameter is really quite straightforward, it's the combination that's complex. :)
Ive gone through the manual several times, looking at each parameter one by one, and each one makes sense on it’s own. It’s definitely the combo what makes it complex as changing one thing can possibly affect other settings.
Neon Breath wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:19 pm
No problem no stress.

Yes the 'free' means no scale at all for the grain pitch shifting. If you set it to Free, then you can pitch shift freely with numbers like 1.15, 3.49, -1,22, etc.... While the others lock it to the specific scale chosen.
Sweet. Thanks!

:tu:

And don't forget to mess around the X-Y control sphere, very powerful. It is where Portal starts to really shine.

A tip for those wanting Portal: If you own some Output products already, you can get the bundle upgrade from your account while it is on 25% sale. Since Output has a refund policy of 14 days, you can install them, try it out, and then email them that you did not like some of the products and want to keep just Portal (and some other ones you like). They will refund you the amount for the remaining products and you get Portal for a much better price than $112. Remember that refund prices will be calculate differently, it is not same as subtracting the full or discounted per product price.

As a matter of fact, I have already done this once successfully during the summer 25% off sale. Got the products I was interested in and at a very good price. Also, note that bundle upgrades includes Expansions, but when issuing refund the respective product Expansions have no value and are considered "free".

I am not really sure about Portal, else I would do the same again and would get Portal for about $60.

There is no cheating here and it is completely legal as per Output policy. :)

Is it recommendable for 85 bucks? I got an offer from seller.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:50 pm Is it recommendable for 85 bucks? I got an offer from seller.
I bought for full price and dont regret it.

Output Portal available as rent-to-own on Splice now. $9.99 for 15 months.

Output Portal is 35% off now.

Return to “Effects”