Any Vst Plugin that can simulate a Tx81z or do a decent Lately Bass

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Guys I hace been lurking for a while an just wanted help.. the title says it all!! Any vst Emus or presets for Synths that can properly axproximate the full sound of the Lately Bass as found on the Yamaha tx 81z

Tone2 Nemesis has a preset, no idea if it's accurate

Thanks Focusrite. I will check out Nemesis as I have it

On the DX100 the "Solid Bass" preset was very similar to the "Lately Bass" preset of the TX81Z.

So you can extend your searches to a DX100 emulation.

Tone2 Nemesis will fit of course...

There is also DiscoDSP Phantom.

There is also Oxe FM Synth (wonderful freeware).

Dexed (other very known wonderful freeware) won't fit : because it uses only the sine waveform, to emulate in a strict manner the DX7.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

There is a Lately bass preset in U-he ACE that sounds exact and it's part of the factory library. A great synth to have regardless.

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

There are screenshots that show how the patch is set up here on the TX81Z: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... stcount=11

A lot depends on how closely you want it matched. The 95% answer is pretty much any 4-op FM synth. Use Dexed: the presets for Solid Bass etc are already there. The core of it is a two-op setup, with the same ratio and adjust modulation and envelope to taste. The variation and detail between these things comes in how the additional operators are set up with a fast attack and decay for the initial thunk.

One detail that's important to some people is that operator 3 uses a different waveform: it's a sine wave at double the frequency but only active for half of the wave period. So, you either want an FM synth that implements that waveform or use something that gives you editable oscillators or does pulsewidth-type wavetable manipulations (ANA2, for example, will give you the waveform, as will Serum, but you don't get enough modulators to do the full monty unless there's a trick I've missed).

In practice, it's a modulator of a modulator, so the impact of the half-length sine has isn't that great (though it is noticeable IME - and improves the punchiness of the sound) but it's up to you whether that matters. On top of that, you have the noise floor of the TX81Z itself to contend with, which you may or may not want. At that point, you might as well either get one or use a decent sample library.

Cakewalk Z3ta (magware)

Thank you everyone for your insights and suggestions

If you have Ableton Live, there is a very good Tx81x clone made in Max for Live called Opfour. It’s the best lately bass I’ve heard outside of the Tx81z (which I also own).

Opfour is on Ableton’s packs website in the pack “Classic synths by Katsuhiro Chiba”

Preset is in factory presets (loaded from within synth) called Octabass

SOUL has a LatelyBass patch you can play with online.. no idea how good it is. you can play with it here: https://soul.dev/lab/?id=LatelyBass. It's basically an emulation of a TX81z sans a few features.

Eventually they will come out with a VST plugin to run SOUL code, so something to keep an eye on

Looks like anything can do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxRKWwPWpp8
Murderous duck!

Return to “Instruments”