DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Frankly, I still don't quite understand that whole Dune engine, the point of those zillions of oscillators, waveforms or whatever they are. As far as I can see, Dune is not multi-timbral, right? And when the oscillators all play the same patch, I don't hear any real difference compared to similar synths to be honest.

If you look at Dune 3 as 8 separate synths, 2 Effect Modules, and 2 Arp/Seq modules in a Rack it gets easier to understand.

Each Layer (or Voice as they're called in D3) has 2 main Oscs and a Sub. The Mains can be VA, FM or Wavetable synthesis and they have their own Unison capabilities (Density) even for the FM and WT Oscs. Each Layer can be routed to one or both of the FX Modules and either Arp 1 or Arp 2 or neither.

That enables you to build up complex sounds by adding layers or even a single layer can yield awesome sounds. You can go from a simple classic Saw Wave bass all the way to complex Arp/Seq patches.

Or you can simply Stack Layers and use the Unison Voices Detune.

D3 is not Multi-Timbral in the sense that each Layer can respond to different Midi channels and the Layers can not be split.

Midi Range Per Layer has been requested many times in the past but if I remember correctly there is something in the Dual Unison Engine that does not lend itself to Splits.

Oh and you can change the color of the readout text in the configuration file to your particular taste. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thank you for the explanation.
Referring to a layer as a voice is a bit unfortunate.
I will try to figure out tomorrow how it all works.
According to your description I could put a bell on voice 1, strings on voice 2, and a choir sound on voice 3, for instance, correct?

Teksonik wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:24 pm Dual Unison Engine
Differential, not dual.

In fact, it's sort if mix up of global unison and layers. A bit confusing at first but you can get used it. The easiest way to use it is to dial few voices and add some detune and stereo spread (sort of like Virus). Or you can edit all the voices independently and then it will be basically equal to stacking few instances of the synth in your DAW except that you won't be able to process the layers separately.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:13 pm
Teksonik wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:24 pm Dual Unison Engine
Differential, not dual.
Yes you are correct. I misspoke. I was thinking of the two ways to do Unison. :dog:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

e-crooner wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:49 pm According to your description I could put a bell on voice 1, strings on voice 2, and a choir sound on voice 3, for instance, correct?
Absolutely yes you could. I have have done patches very similar to that.

Keeping in mind that Dune 3 is not a full sample player but uses single cycle waveform and builds Wavetables from them. You can use a single Waveform or sweep through the WT with for example an LFO to bring motion to the sound.

So the Choir won't be a super realistic sampled choir but it's still possible to get some nice vocal sounds.

Bells are quite easy either using the Fm or WT Oscs and Lush Synth Strings are super easy. :tu:

Will there be Dune 3 BF deal?

HTT wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:07 am Will there be Dune 3 BF deal?
:tu:
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

HTT wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:07 am Will there be Dune 3 BF deal?
bum fondle?

e-crooner wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:51 pm Frankly, I still don't quite understand that whole Dune engine, the point of those zillions of oscillators, waveforms or whatever they are. As far as I can see, Dune is not multi-timbral, right? And when the oscillators all play the same patch, I don't hear any real difference compared to similar synths to be honest.
That is surely a Matter of the Targets you want to achive. You don´t need 15 Voices and 6 Layers for a classice Lead Sound. From my Point of View - my Focus are VOX Sounds - DUNE is the Perfect Tool, while Zebra etc. have become secondary.

I also like to work "additive". Stapling Harmonics. DUNEs Layers Architecture delivers all I need to do that in a very comfortable way.

The Overall Sound is suitable for my ears, too - and the FX simply sound great.

Teksonik wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:12 pm
e-crooner wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:49 pm According to your description I could put a bell on voice 1, strings on voice 2, and a choir sound on voice 3, for instance, correct?
[...]

So the Choir won't be a super realistic sampled choir but it's still possible to get some nice vocal sounds.

Bells are quite easy either using the Fm or WT Oscs and Lush Synth Strings are super easy. :tu:
DUNE has superb Qualities to make VOX-Sounds I have not seen in an other Synth before. If you want a real Choir take a Sampler. If you better want to turn your Sample into a Wavetable (or create a Wavetable anyhow!) and make a VOX-Sound / Airy Pad Dune is - i. m. O. - a really advantageous and Time saving Choice.

I made some great vox stuff using vox WTs I sampled from a Prophet VS

MK also made some great vox stuff, but he is a genius

GRUMP wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:50 pm
[...]

DUNE has superb Qualities to make VOX-Sounds I have not seen in an other Synth before. If you want a real Choir take a Sampler. If you better want to turn your Sample into a Wavetable (or create a Wavetable anyhow!) and make a VOX-Sound / Airy Pad Dune is - i. m. O. - a really advantageous and Time saving Choice.
No no, I meant synth choirs like Fairlight sounds.

Dune sounds too spacey for my taste, too bombastic, too modern, too sterile, too EDM. I think it is not for me.

e-crooner wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:16 pm
GRUMP wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:50 pm
[...]

No no, I meant synth choirs like Fairlight sounds.

Dune sounds too spacey for my taste, too bombastic, too modern, too sterile, too EDM. I think it is not for me.
You mean ARR1. I <3 ARR1. The old Stuff in general. The Music of my Youth and father has left its Traces ...

DUNE - i. m. O. - is the Basis for what you make out of it - and unique Capabilities to make Waves/OSC swing in a very pleasant way.

ARR1 and Stuff like that - I think that is not a Question of the Tool, but of the Source Material.

Depeche Mode "See You" Choir was a PPG - and a PPG was quiet limited. But the People were very creative. Wolfgang Palm is a Master of WT-Creation.

You shouldn´t expect that DUNE can´t produce such Sounds. You should just expect a steep Learning Curve :D

I have started focussing on VOX 1.5 yrs ago and there was "nothing". Today I´m swimming in VOX-Sounds and Wavetables and I´m still learning a lot very Day. Didn´t even touch the Conversion of real Voice yet...

And don´t expect any Synth to be EDM or what ever. It all depends on the User who is tweaking it.

Little Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNpuPbzigsE

My Experience: DUNE itself is "up to date". If you start making your own Waves the 80s will come back faster than you´ll maybe like ;-) I have lots of 80 VOX Sequencers, Basses and so on on my HD that remind me of nothing else than a blue Box called PPG.

GRUMP wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:50 pm If you want a real Choir take a Sampler.
Thanks for the "heads up" chief........ :wink:
Teksonik wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:12 pm So the Choir won't be a super realistic sampled choir but it's still possible to get some nice vocal sounds.
---------------
AnX wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:07 pm I made some great vox stuff using vox WTs I sampled from a Prophet VS
I've gotten some very nice vox sounds from Dune 3 and I'm certainly no genius....... :lol:

Return to “Instruments”