Advice: Synthstrom Deluge or MC-707

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at both of these and having a tough time deciding which one to get. Any advice or experience welcome!

To give you some context, I make synthwave with a DAW-based studio. I am not looking to replace that, but rather create a DAW-less setup for live performances. This would be either the Deluge or the MC-707 plus a few portable synths. The way I'm seeing the breakdown right now is:
  • Deluge has a better and more fun sequencer, is better for sequencing external gear, and has song mode. It also has rechargeable batteries (a plus for me)
  • MC-707 has better internal sounds and effects (as well as more relevant for the kind of music I make) and is better suited for the kind of semi-improvised live performance I'm planning to do (Ableton Live clip-view style). Also has multitrack audio-over-USB, which is helpful for taking things I've made there and turning them into properly produced tracks.

Do I have this correct? What else should I be considering?

Note: I'm neither a Roland fanboy or Roland hater. If the machine is good, I'll get it; if it's not, I won't.

The Deluge is also a live-looper and an excellent sampler. Number of tracks only limited by DSP(more than I'll ever need anyway, I think).
Haven't tried the MC-707, but I have the Deluge.
It is constantly improved. You could bring some premade basis from the studio and add on top of those live?
The 3rd version of the firmware brought a lot of new options.
Add a cheap controller with pressure/velocity sensitive pads and you can get quite expressive. I have the Novation Circuit for that, which is a great instrument on it's own.
I could go on and on, but no real comparison to MC707 due to lack of experience with it. Seems nice too and I bet there'll be FW updates on that as well.

Have an MC-707 here. TBH I only use it to sample in to my MPC X. The MC-707 itself doesn't do much for me. The onboard synth is ok and some of the FX but it lacks song mode etc. It's an expensive bit of gear and doesn't do what I was expecting it to do. I haven't used Deluge but have heard it's pretty cool.

Hope that helps a bit

Thanks - appreciate the input!

The lack of song mode is the only thing putting me off the MC-707. For live performance it looks amazing. For this purpose I’d probably choose it over the deluge
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

For what is worth, I am looking to get a stand alone setup probably next month but I am considering in between the Deluge, Akai Force, or Dada Machines Composer Pro (if released).

All of them seems to be able to do what MC 707 do and much more, with a nice workflow.

id absolutely go for the deluge...in fact, i did. love it. i *mainly* use it for sequencing, but....the synth side is really quite capable and deep.

i personally dont see many advantages to the 707 over the deluge....does it have velocity sensitive pads? because the deluge doesnt. some people complain about the very basic led display on the deluge...but they mostly ignore the fact that you dont really ever need to look at it and that the main rgb grid of pads also acts as a display. i will admit...aside from the sequencing and piano roll style note grid layout...the visual feedback is limited. with that said though...i really dont think it needs more visual feedback.

i think the deluge offers far and away more bang for your buck...it doesnt even seem close to me. and synthstrom are just crushing it with the steady flow of updates, so its constantly improving.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”